Andy Murray extended his winning run in Beijing by beating fellow Briton Cameron Norrie 7-6(6) 6-7(4) 6-1 on Wednesday to seal a spot in the China Open quarter-finals.
Murray will now face top seed Dominic Thiem of Austria for a place in the semi-finals.
The briton, who won his first ATP tour singles encounter in nine months at Zhuhai last week, was made to fight for two hours and 52 minutes.
He won consecutive tour matches for the first time since his hip resurfacing surgery in January.
The Scot beat eighth-seeded Italian Matteo Berrettini 7-6(2) 7-6(7) in the first round on Tuesday and now meets world number five Thiem who beat Chinese wildcard Zhizhen Zhang 6-3 6-3.
“I’m really tired, I just had a sleep before coming,” Murray said. “That’s the first time I’ve had to do that since I came back.
“It’s something that I need to kind of get used to again, especially playing at this level and that intensity.
“It was a good step for me, it’s great that I won the match. Whether I’d won or lost it, I was able to come out… and be competitive and play some good tennis… I’m happy I’ve got the day off tomorrow to recover.”
Norrie served poorly compared to the former world number one but 32-year-old Murray only managed to convert four of 13 break points in the match.
Serving for the opening set at 5-3, Murray was broken by Norrie, who then saved three set points in the ensuing tiebreak before he double faulted on the Scot’s fourth set point.
Norrie turned the tables in the second and, although Murray saved a set point on serve, the 24-year-old ranked 69 in the world then held his nerve in the tiebreak.
Murray then switched tactics, coming up to the net more often to dictate rallies and shorten points, and won the first five games in a row to set up a meeting with Thiem.
The Austrian fired five aces, won 84% of his first service points and needed only three breaks to beat Zhang in 69 minutes.
Italy’s Fabio Fognini beat Russian Andrey Rublev 6-3 6-4 to set up a quarter-final clash with fourth seed Karen Khachanov, who dispatched Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 7-6(0) 7-6(5). (Reuters/)
- 2 Abuja varsity students in court over alleged conspiracy in the drowning of friend
- Bill for Imo lotteries board scales 2nd reading
- INEC meets Oke Ogun, Ogbomoso communities over location of Oyo North collation centre
- Human Rights Day: NHRC, others call for youth involvement in decision making
- Nigeria banks remain stable, says NDIC
- Inability to screen EFCC second witness hinders Maina’s trial
- South Sudan rebel leader arrives Juba to resolve outstanding issues
- Teenage student bags 1 year jail term over sexual encroachment on stepmother
- WISTA @ 25: Girl-child education fulcrum for balancing gender gap — Minister
- IFAD-CASP distributes 760 pumping machines to Zamfara communities
- Enugu Assembly moves to probe contractors of failed projects
- Why Plateau is Nigeria’s 2nd least corrupt state – Lalong
- FG to release LPG pricing template in 2020
- U.S. Democrats unveil impeachment charges against Trump
- Cars 45 expands to Ghana, Kenya — CEO
- S. African president cuts trip short over electricity crisis at home
- Kogi PDP Women Leader’s death: Police parade 6 suspects
- Emirates emerges World’s leading Cabin Crew 2019
- Yuletide: NSE market capitalisation shed N143bn
- Insurance recapitalisation exercise will strengthen sector’s growth, development — Onyema
- How Crawford University becomes Nigeria’s “Most Peaceful Campus” — VC
- Lalong urges foreign investors to return to Plateau
- Development levy: Politician drags ESUT, Enugu government to court
- Use social media for development, Activist urges youths
- NCC boss urges FG to remain competitive to fulfill local content
- UNICEF says 1,727 children reunite with families in Borno
- NUC approves 29 new programmes for Lokoja Federal Varsity
- Gov. Matawalle denies involvement in arrest of opposition members
- Sowore: Reps to investigate invasion of court
- CBN expects 2.38% GDP growth by Q4
- Include gender policy in constitution, ex-senator suggests
- IBB varsity gets new VC
- National Identity Programme requires funding, commitment to succeed says NIMC DG
- Chile Air Force says cargo plane crashed with 38 onboard
- Reps laud army’s innovative stride
- Reps laud army’s stride in innovations
- Rotary Club offers free medical treatment to 100 people in Ibadan
- Senate mandates committee to investigate unremitted stamp duty fund
- Minister reiterates need for synergy in power sector
- NYSC urges Plateau Govt. to complete permanent orientation camp
- Association donates essentials to motherless babies in Kwara
- Ministerial negotiations begin at UN climate conference
- DisCos increase revenue collection by N43bn in one year
- Commission tasks MDAs on improved IGR for capital projects
- Algeria set for presidential election denounced by protesters as charade
- Psychiatrists identify causes of high incidents of suicide in Nigeria
- NYSC Governing Board commends Plateau Govt. over provision of permanent orientation camp
- WTO ban on tariffs for digital trade extended until June 2020
- Police arraign 46-year-old mechanic for allegedly stealing bus
- Border Closure will ensure more transparency, integrity in auto market – Cars45