Mr Igo Weli, General Manager, External Relations at SPDC, stated this on Wednesday at a graduation and award ceremony for beneficiaries of the oil firm’s enterprise development programme in Yenagoa.
Weli, who was represented by Mr Adebanjo Adekoya, Manager, External Relations, SPDC, noted that the company embarked on the scheme to provide alternative income and to divert the attention of the youth from restiveness.
According to him, SPDC has injected a total of N2.2 bn into the Southern Swamp Associated Gas Solution area for community development as top up funds for the Community Cluster Development Boards in Bayelsa and Delta.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that 49 youths, who completed the enterprise development programme received start up grants of N19.60 million.
The beneficiaries were also assisted to register their businesses and received certificates of registration with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
The facilitator, Mrs Belema Obigwe, noted that the beneficiaries received intensive training in business management and were charged to establish entrepreneurial training for others.
Obigwe, who is of the Centre for Information and Development, an NGO, said that 130 youths nominated for the scheme by their communities were shortlisted in April 2018.
He said that 79 of them successfully completed the training, while 49 of them passed the assessment tests conducted at the end of the scheme.
A beneficiary, Robinson Erebi, who spoke on behalf of other recipients of the grant noted that the content of the training was practical and beneficial.
“We are grateful for this opportunity, I have tried and failed in business twice but in the course of this training, I discovered why I failed and now I am ready to get it done the right way.
Edited by Ifeyinwa Omowole
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections