The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has destroyed two the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, NAF Director of Public Relations and Information confirmed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
Daramola said the trucks were destroyed by the Air Task Force (ATF) of the Operation Lafiya Dole.
He explained that the NAF’s Alpha Jet aircraft on reconnaissance mission along the Gudumbali-Zari-Garunda axis spotted the ISWAP gun trucks emerging from Jumaacheri settlement heading towards Garunda.
“The attack aircraft tracked the two gun trucks as they attempted to evade detection by driving into foliage.
“The aircraft engaged one of the gun trucks which is camouflaged under a tree, in successive passes scoring accurate hits leading to the neutralisation of some of the ISWAP occupants.
“The gun truck was later seen engulfed in flames as a result of multiple mini-explosions of the on-board ammunition.
“The other gun truck was also tracked and immobilised after its occupants had abandoned it under another tree in the area,’’ he said.
Daramola said the air force, operating in concert with ground forces would sustain its operations against the terrorists.
Edited by Johnson Eyiangho/Sadiya Hamza
- Environmentalist calls for adoption of eco-friendly products to curb plastic pollution
- Oyo State CAN mourns death of cleric
- China sanctions 11 United States officials over Hong Kong affairs
- Lebanon’s justice minister resigns in wake of blast, protests
- Face mask now mandatory on Paris river banks, streets
- United States health secretary meets Taiwan’s leader, praises pandemic response
- Kwara Govt. lauds ophthalmologists for assisting blue-eyed family
- Malaysia’s chief diplomat fined for vaping in parliament
- Israel strikes Hamas post in response to incendiary balloons
- Sri Lanka re-opens schools amid COVID-19 caution