The National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Tuesday called for adequate policy to ensure collaboration among researchers in the country.
The Agency’s Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, made the call at the 10th Dr J.K. Ladipo Biennial Memorial Lecture, in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of his demise.
Adeyeye was represented on the occasion by Simidele Onabajo, Technical Assistant to the D-G on Food and Stakeholders.
The lecture titled: “Research Collaboration and Industry Linkages: A Sustainable Partnership”, was organised by the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST).
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Dr Josephus Kehinde Ladipo, popularly called JK, was one of the founding members of NIFST in 1976.
He was born of an Egba parentage on July 12, 1945.
He was 31 years old when NIFST was conceptualised and he died on Aug. 7, 1994.
According to Adeyeye, having a policy will ensure that collaborated efforts will be linked to the end result.
She noted that a policy would also help in tightening linkages, by ensuring that industry members identify themselves through collaboration in research activities.
“There is need to set guidelines to get maximum benefits of research collaboration, and ensure there exists a relationship between the project manager to ensure continuity.
“When everybody works together, it will ensure that the root of issues will be looked at and change the mindset of people toward research.
“There is need to drive innovation by strengthening linkages that will ensure that research finding reach the final consumers,’’ she said.
Adeyeye listed the benefits of collaboration in research as: commercialisation of results, learning, access to funds, grants and others and ensure knowledge transfer.
The director-general said that collaboration would help bring the research to the fore, so that it would be used for the development of the economy of the country.
Prof. Hafiz Abubakar, a former Deputy Governor, Kano State, said that the industry was moving forward toward actualisation of the founding fathers’ mission.
According to him, the NIFST Bill, which is awaiting assent by the president, will ensure the industry moves forward.
Abubakar noted that the issue of research and industry linkage was weak in the country, saying that if NIFST had its recognition, it would ensure the linkage was not weak.
“The greatest commendation we will give to the man we are celebrating today is to ensure that the industry he had built is moving forward; and this will be ensured through collaboration.
“Collaboration will ensure food security is ensured, wealth is created by our researches being lifted from shelves of organizations,’’ he said.
Dr Chima Igwe, Acting Director-General, Federal Institute of Industrial Research Oshodi (FIIRO), said that finding good collaborators, developmental partners, was a challenge hindering research in the country.
According to him, the topic of the lecture is apt, as it will help in addressing the gaps and put up solutions to mitigate these gaps.
Igwe said that having a deliberate effort in research to industrial linkages would ensure the diversification of the country’s economy.
Earlier, the President of NIFST, Mr Oluwole Toye, said that the lecture was to honour late Ladipo, who was passionate in pursuing the vision and mission of NIFST, centered on food security and safety.
According to him, this year marks the 10th edition of the lecture and the 25th year of Ladipo’s transition.
“This forum demonstrates one of our cardinal objectives which are to disseminate knowledge among food professionals by sponsoring studies, workshops, symposia, seminars and publications.
‘’It is also aimed at focusing attention on food problems and associated government policies and actions.
“NIFST believes and knows that the first medication is safe and nutritious food; and so, is happy with the presence and growing relationship between itself and NAFDAC,’’ he said.
Toye used the medium to appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari to assent to the Charter Bill to regulate the practice of food professionals in the country.
According to him, the bill has passed the three readings at the National Assembly and will help empower the institute to achieve its mission to harness the abundance of talents and knowledge among food professionals, toward food sufficiency.
- Man, 42, docked for obtaining N234,000 under false pretence
- Red-hot Nadal faces Delbonis, says majors tally not a focus
- Abandonment: Pregnant wife seeks dissolution of 2-yr-old marriage
- Coronavirus: Nigeria Port Health Services on alert at points of entry – NCDC
- IAA edits….Africa’s unmet infrastructure demand worth $108 billion a year–Adesina
- Coronavirus: NCDC assesses, manages risk, advises on how to keep safe
- Lack of access to WASH facilities increase diseases-expert
- NUJ commends Plateau Govt. over remodeling of Press Centre
- Businessman, 38, docked for alleged attempt to export 2.3kg of Cannabis to Gabon
- ”Save me from my promiscuous wife”, divorce seeking man prays court
- NGO trains over 1400 girls on ICT in 2019
- Trump threatens EU with ‘very high tariffs’ if there is no trade deal
- Team Ekiti will surely win tickets to 20th NSF, coach says
- Tina Turner wins court case to have poster banned in Germany
- Iran will never seek nuclear weapons, with or without a deal-President Rouhani
- Unemployment rate in Taiwan rises slightly in 2019
- Gombe govt. to review environmental laws to check indiscriminate felling of trees
- Antimicrobial resistance, challenge in Nigeria health sector- CFID
- Edo govt. will fulfil promise to sponsor GBF championship fight, official says
- Saudi Arabia denies involvement in Jeff Bezos phone hacking
- Adamawa: Parents, stakeholders laud UNICEF mass enrollment of out-of-school children in Adamawa
- Lassa fever: Kano confirms 4 cases with 3 deaths
- Manager.40, docked for allegedly stealing computer equipment worth N15m
- Residents of Oyo community commend Shittu over rehabilitation of water works
- ‘My wife deprived me of sex for 1 year’, husband tells court
- ODF: UNICEF pledges support to Kano Govt. on 6 targeted LGAs
- 112 drug-related suspects arrested in Afghanistan
- First case of deadly Coronavirus detected in Hong Kong
- NGO distributes food items to 5,000 indigent pupils in Kafanchan
- Trump threatens to slap 25% tariffs on European cars if no U.S. EU trade deal
- Macron begins visit to Israel, meets Netanyahu
- Corps members in Enugu decry high cost of house rent
- Wale Oke seeks legal backing for Amotekun
- Cleric docked over failure to produce suspect
- Top judge Katerina Sakellaropoulou elected first female Greek president
- More farmers enroll for dry season rice farming in Delta-RIFAN
- Burkina Faso in national mourning after terrorists kill 36 people
- OMMATA leadership crisis: Court restrains Enugu North LG from conducting election
- Court remands student over armed robbery
- UK to tackle coronavirus with separate arrival area at Heathrow
- New Lebanese govt meet for first time amidst protests
- Serena into third round in Melbourne after testy win over Slovenian
- Nigerians now appreciate theatre films-Artist
- Israeli researchers develop method to rejuvenate kidneys
- Trader in court for allegedly stealing iPhone 7
- FRSC intensifies patrol to curb accidents in Anambra
- I have no reason to fail Benue people-Gov Ortom
- Court remands businessman for allegedly kidnapping 5-year-old boy
- Plateau to host National Council for Science and Technology meeting – Commissioner
- Plateau Rep condemns murder of Unimaid student by Boko Haram
- Indian citizenship law in court battle as protests continue
- How partisan schisms defined first full day of Trump impeachment trial
- Commission establishes shoe factory to empower displaced persons in Borno
- Wozniacki rallies to tame Yastremska in Melbourne
- Gauff books repeat showdown with Osaka after three-set thriller
- German supermarket giant Kaufland pulls out of Australia
- Mexico defends soldiers who fired tear gas at migrants at border
- Peadiatric Association pledges to address healthcare, nutrition problems of children
- Journalists allowed in Cambodian court for Kem Sokha trial after ban
- Thailand finds fourth case of deadly coronavirus infection
- Osaka, Barty, Djokovic through to third round of Australian Open
- U.S. Senate rejects Democrats’ demand for documents in Trump impeachment trial
- China says 9 dead, at least 440 infected with new coronavirus
- North Korea closes border to foreign tourists, travel agency says
- AfDB calls for robust trade between UK, Africa, as merchandise records reduction
- Toyota recalling 3.4 million cars over possible airbag malfunction
- Republicans vote in favour of impeachment trial rules, ending day one
- MURIC condemns killing of CAN Chairman, Andimi
- 2022 World Cup: Super Eagles to face Cape Verde, CAR, Liberia in qualifying campaign
- Niger College of Education to include Kambari language in programmes
- FG begins distribution of cooking gas to 13,000 rural women in Nasarawa
- NUC approves medicine, 17 other Degree Programmes for FULafia
- INEC swears in 2 RECs for Cross Rivers, Taraba
- Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs to support Plateau govt resettle, empower IDPs
- Palestine seeks collaboration with humanitarian affairs ministry to address crisis
- U.S. confirms first case of coronavirus
- Benue APC gov’ship candidate accepts Supreme Court’s verdict in good faith
- Expert harps on importance of technology to drive insurance activities
- NGO calls for entrepreneurship development to reduce unemployment
- Lassa fever claims 16 lives in Ondo — Official
- PDP commends S/Court verdicts on Sokoto, Bauchi, Benue, Adamawa
- Lawmaker, others celebrate Supreme Court judgments on Benue, Adamawa gov seats
- Minister urges parents to encourage children to embrace science subjects
- Insufficient paid work affects half a billion people, ILO report says
- Amaechi emerges THISDAY Editor’s Choice Minister of the Decade
- Gov. Mohammed pledges to conduct council polls latest July,2020
- Supreme Court victories excite PDP counsels, members
- Organisation advocates proactive measures to end insurgency in northeast
- Internet access 19% in developing countries – UN report
- Lalong seeks FG’s support to rehabilitate IDPs in Plateau
- Sacking of Gov.Ihedioha unsettled me momentarily – Bauchi Governor.
- Cleric urges media to imbibe development journalism
- Navy hands over suspected kidnappers, bandits to DSS
- Army dismisses report of killing, abduction of soldiers in Borno
- PDP Governors Forum congratulates members over victory at Supreme Court
- Lagos govt. debunks fake list of restricted routes for motorcycles, tricycles
- FG develops national framework to address climate change issues
- Nestlé Nigeria re-launches Golden Morn
- Buhari condemns killing of CAN Chairman, Andimi
- NiMet releases 2020 seasonal rainfall prediction
- Kogi Govt. seeks traditional rulers’ support on polio vaccination
- Abia re-run election: INEC warns disparate politicians against unruly conduct
- Army cautions motorists against stopping at irregular check points
- Osinbajo receives D8 Secretary-General in Aso Villa
- NYSC boss promises drastic reduction in cases of abscondment from service
- Niger, RAMP to spend N6.6bn on 230km rural roads rehabilitation
- CSO recognises 5 outstanding Nigerians in Abuja
- IGP unveils quiz competition logo for students
- Youth Council lauds Buhari on Obiora’s appointment as CBN Dep. Gov.
- Nigeria to collaborate with D8, others on economy, healthcare -Osinbajo
- Canada, Iran at odds over who should analyse downed plane’s black boxes
- NATO could support EU in enforcing Libya arms embargo- Stoltenberg
- Number of homicides in Mexico hits record 35,588 in 2019
- Bentaleb joins Newcastle United on loan from Schalke 04
- Updated: UNICEF, ADSUBEB begin mass enrollment of out-of- school children in Adamawa
- Bangkok governor defends order for children to sing royal anthem
- Court remands man, 47, in Correctional Centre for allegedly defiling minor
- EFCC witness says JAMB revenue officer, boss failed to remit N36.5m revenue
- Tsav, Chieshe congratulate Ortom on Supreme Court victory
- French player denies disrespecting ball girl after banana request
- South African Airways says flights operating normally after bailout talks stall
- Prince Harry arrives Canada, relinquishes royal duty
- 2020 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon: Media accreditation gets new deadline
- Russian PM Mishustin presents candidates for new cabinet to president Putin
- Halep survives injury scare in tough first round win
- Omeje emerges Nsukka LG chairmanship candidate in PDP primary
- Professionals urge PPP strategies to bridge infrastructure deficit
- Protest marches resume in Colombia, several people reported injured
- Chinese court jails former Interpol chief over graft
- Nantes to wear Argentine colours in tribute to Emiliano Sala
- UK-Africa Investment Summit launches new partnership for growth in Nigeria
- Lagos begins sale of admission forms for model colleges
- Young activists in Davos demand say for their generation
- Abia govt. to utilise dry season for road construction
- Buhari mourns Justice Bashir Wali
- Podolski set for Cologne return but not as player
- Alleged pension fraud: EFCC witness admits mistake in bank account linked to Maina’s son
- Israeli police ban drones in Jerusalem’s airspace during holocaust remembrance forum
- Ihedioha: Gov. Wike did not insult PDP leadership – Nsirim
- Buhari re-appoints aides on Disability Matters
- Leave legacy of one man, one vote to deepen democracy, Lagos PDP tells Buhari
- Indian growth may recover between April, September, says IMF chief economist
- Use ICT to grow your business, Minister tells community
- NSE market capitalisation loses N127bn amid profit taking in blue chips
- More than 1m Syrians receive residence permits in Turkey
- Germany conducts raids over suspected Mitsubishi diesel fraud
- Expert urges proper medical examination for domestic workers
- India issues stringent guidelines for airlines from China, Hong Kong amid coronavirus deaths
- Learn from your predecessors, expert advises government
- World needs to prepare for ‘millions’ of climate refugees – UN official
- NDLEA partners NAPTIP against illicit drugs, human trafficking in Edo
- Kingpin of syndicate who killed Odunukwe says “lust for money” responsible for evil act
- North Korea abandons nuclear freeze pledge, blames ‘brutal’ U.S. sanctions
- Russia steps up airport screening of Chinese travelers over coronavirus fears
- Court remands man, 30, in custody for allegedly raping 17-year-old
- FG restates commitment to D-8’s health, social protection programme
- Close saving/lending rate gap to boost economy, Expert urges CBN
- FRSC commences operation number plates verification in Plateau
- 2 docked over alleged stealing of property valued at N179, 200
- S/Court verdict: Mark congratulates Ortom
- JAMB: 2 arrested for alleged hike in UTME cost
- Group lauds AbdulRasaq for reviving education in Kwara
- Sociologist advocates adoption of Naira as ECOWAS single currency
- Ensure speedy completion of Gbaji-Apa-Owode Road project- Lawmaker
- C/River Govt. dissolves LG pension board
- PDP scribe says Ortom’s victory affirms Judiciary still intact
- FRSC promotes 49 personnel in Zamfara, calls for renewed commitment
- Katampe/Jahi residents urge FCDA to construct over-head bridge to minimise gridlock
- Kyrgios puts it in perspective as he eases into Australian Open’s second round
- Lebanese police defends rubber bullet use in clashes with protesters
- Gov. Ugwuanyi says Enugu can thrive without Federal Allocations
- 20 ships with petroleum products, food items expected at Lagos Ports — NPA
- UK watchdog begins 2-year crackdown on financial advisers
- Delta State Local Content Agency bill passes through second reading
- S. Korea on high alert amid possible human-to-human spread of new coronavirus
- Chairman Ikosi-Isheri LCDA is dead
- Yoruba World Congress hold rally in support of “Amotekun” in Ogun
- Communication Minister urges Hadejia people to utilise ICT for economic growth
- Customs boss tasks officers on asset declaration
- LASG partners NNPC to secure pipelines across metropolis
- Dedicate your victory to youth development, lawmaker urges Tambuwal
- Deadly virus spreads across China, rises international concern
- MAN set to establish N9bn Moringa plantation
- INEC gets disability desks nationwide
- Buhari greets Festus Keyamo at 50
- Wartime bomb defused after shutting down Cologne business district
- DPR, NSCDC arrest 5 welders over refurbishing of expired cylinders in Kaduna
- Sultan seeks unity among all political gladiators in Sokoto
- 5 vagrants in court for allegedly causing public nuisance
- Baby born prematurely with high blood alcohol content dies in Poland
- Four Enugu para-athletes get national call up for Olympics qualifier, says coach
- Myanmar president calls for prosecutions for Rohingya killings
- There will be massive fight against corruption this year – EFCC Chairman
- PDP National VC aspires to fly party’s flag in Ondo Guber race
- Alleged protest: Police cordon off Gani Fawehinmi Park
- Man docked for alleged culpable homicide, armed robbery
- FG nominates Adewopo to lead WIPO
- Only committed trainees will henceforth get NDE’s resettlement loan,says D-G
- Community leader tasks FG on 2030 SDGs to end poverty, hunger
- Sri Lankan president admits those declared ‘missing’ in war are dead