The National Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) in Kebbi, says it will commence a state-wide campaign to sensitise women on measures to tackle rape in the state.
“As women who have literal and field experience of what the women go through, especially the underage girls , we deem the campaign necessary as part of the association’s efforts to highlight and bring to the fore the dangers of rape in the society.
“Rape cases in the state are becoming more rampant, no parent will want his daughter to become a victim.
“We will set a specific date for that, but we want all stakeholders to join hands to put an end to the menace,’’ she said.
Bamaiyi said the campaign would be taken to all the 21 Local Government Areas of the state to mobilise communities to take action and protect their children from sexual abuse.
“The rising cases of rape is even more crystal clear when one of our Emirs, the Emir of Gwandu , Alhaji Muhammdu Bashir, during the recent Sallah festival said our society today is bedeviled by cases of rape, among others.
“We are going to involve all stakeholders, especially women and students in the campaign to achieve set objectives.”
The chairperson commended security agencies for their efforts in ensuring that rapists were nabbed wherever they may be.
“Precisely in May this year, six suspected rapists were arrested by the Police Command in the state and another one in August, all the arrests were possible because of the effort of our security agencies.
“We commend them for that and we urge the victims to report their cases to the appropriate authority for necessary action,” she said. .
- 2 Abuja varsity students in court over alleged conspiracy in the drowning of friend
- Bill for Imo lotteries board scales 2nd reading
- INEC meets Oke Ogun, Ogbomoso communities over location of Oyo North collation centre
- Human Rights Day: NHRC, others call for youth involvement in decision making
- Nigeria banks remain stable, says NDIC
- Inability to screen EFCC second witness hinders Maina’s trial
- South Sudan rebel leader arrives Juba to resolve outstanding issues
- Teenage student bags 1 year jail term over sexual encroachment on stepmother
- WISTA @ 25: Girl-child education fulcrum for balancing gender gap — Minister
- IFAD-CASP distributes 760 pumping machines to Zamfara communities
- Enugu Assembly moves to probe contractors of failed projects
- Why Plateau is Nigeria’s 2nd least corrupt state – Lalong
- FG to release LPG pricing template in 2020
- U.S. Democrats unveil impeachment charges against Trump
- Cars 45 expands to Ghana, Kenya — CEO
- S. African president cuts trip short over electricity crisis at home
- Kogi PDP Women Leader’s death: Police parade 6 suspects
- Emirates emerges World’s leading Cabin Crew 2019
- Yuletide: NSE market capitalisation shed N143bn
- Insurance recapitalisation exercise will strengthen sector’s growth, development — Onyema
- How Crawford University becomes Nigeria’s “Most Peaceful Campus” — VC
- Lalong urges foreign investors to return to Plateau
- Development levy: Politician drags ESUT, Enugu government to court
- Use social media for development, Activist urges youths
- NCC boss urges FG to remain competitive to fulfill local content
- UNICEF says 1,727 children reunite with families in Borno
- NUC approves 29 new programmes for Lokoja Federal Varsity
- Gov. Matawalle denies involvement in arrest of opposition members
- Sowore: Reps to investigate invasion of court
- CBN expects 2.38% GDP growth by Q4
- Include gender policy in constitution, ex-senator suggests
- IBB varsity gets new VC
- National Identity Programme requires funding, commitment to succeed says NIMC DG
- Chile Air Force says cargo plane crashed with 38 onboard
- Reps laud army’s innovative stride
- Reps laud army’s stride in innovations
- Rotary Club offers free medical treatment to 100 people in Ibadan
- Senate mandates committee to investigate unremitted stamp duty fund
- Minister reiterates need for synergy in power sector
- NYSC urges Plateau Govt. to complete permanent orientation camp
- Association donates essentials to motherless babies in Kwara
- Ministerial negotiations begin at UN climate conference
- DisCos increase revenue collection by N43bn in one year
- Commission tasks MDAs on improved IGR for capital projects
- Algeria set for presidential election denounced by protesters as charade
- Psychiatrists identify causes of high incidents of suicide in Nigeria
- NYSC Governing Board commends Plateau Govt. over provision of permanent orientation camp
- WTO ban on tariffs for digital trade extended until June 2020
- Police arraign 46-year-old mechanic for allegedly stealing bus
- Border Closure will ensure more transparency, integrity in auto market – Cars45