The National Communications Commission (NCC), on Thursday met with residents of Kura community in Kano State, to educate them on cyber crimes and what role they should play as consumers to avoid falling victims.
Mrs. Felicia Onwuegbechulum, Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau of the Commission, in a speech at the occasion, explained that the commission was tasked with highlighting threats of cyber crime to all users of telecommunication services.
According to her, the NCC sensitises consumers on the role they need to play to be protected from cyber criminals and hackers.
“It is for that reason that the Commission embarked on various initiatives to increase access to internet for Nigerians to facilitate positive engagement.
“The Kura event, with the theme, `mitigating the effects of cyber crimes: the role of telecom consumers’, is part of the commission’s various outreach programmes of awareness campaign,” she said.
Earlier, Alhaji Ismail Adedigba, Deputy Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau of the Commission, had said that the Commission had initiated a process of establishing an Internet Industry Code of Practice for internet service providers in the country.
“The Internet Code is a regulatory intervention expected to secure the country’s cyber space against imminent threats from cyber attackers and to address issues such as online child protection, privacy and data protection, among others,” Adedigba said.
He, however, urged consumers to take the opportunity seriously as the Commission was educating them on what roles they should play in minimising the effect of cyber crimes.
Some members of the community, who spoke with the Nigeria News Agency , expressed happiness over the town hall meeting, and commended NCC for bringing it to their doorsteps.
Malam Rilwanu Muhammed, a traditional ruler in the area, in a remark, said that the meeting had given them the opportunity to have access to various telecom operators directly addressing burning concerns of the residents.
Edited by Nick Nicholas and Ephraims Sheyin
- 2 Abuja varsity students in court over alleged conspiracy in the drowning of friend
- Bill for Imo lotteries board scales 2nd reading
- INEC meets Oke Ogun, Ogbomoso communities over location of Oyo North collation centre
- Human Rights Day: NHRC, others call for youth involvement in decision making
- Nigeria banks remain stable, says NDIC
- Inability to screen EFCC second witness hinders Maina’s trial
- South Sudan rebel leader arrives Juba to resolve outstanding issues
- Teenage student bags 1 year jail term over sexual encroachment on stepmother
- WISTA @ 25: Girl-child education fulcrum for balancing gender gap — Minister
- IFAD-CASP distributes 760 pumping machines to Zamfara communities
- Enugu Assembly moves to probe contractors of failed projects
- Why Plateau is Nigeria’s 2nd least corrupt state – Lalong
- FG to release LPG pricing template in 2020
- U.S. Democrats unveil impeachment charges against Trump
- Cars 45 expands to Ghana, Kenya — CEO
- S. African president cuts trip short over electricity crisis at home
- Kogi PDP Women Leader’s death: Police parade 6 suspects
- Emirates emerges World’s leading Cabin Crew 2019
- Yuletide: NSE market capitalisation shed N143bn
- Insurance recapitalisation exercise will strengthen sector’s growth, development — Onyema
- How Crawford University becomes Nigeria’s “Most Peaceful Campus” — VC
- Lalong urges foreign investors to return to Plateau
- Development levy: Politician drags ESUT, Enugu government to court
- Use social media for development, Activist urges youths
- NCC boss urges FG to remain competitive to fulfill local content
- UNICEF says 1,727 children reunite with families in Borno
- NUC approves 29 new programmes for Lokoja Federal Varsity
- Gov. Matawalle denies involvement in arrest of opposition members
- Sowore: Reps to investigate invasion of court
- CBN expects 2.38% GDP growth by Q4
- Include gender policy in constitution, ex-senator suggests
- IBB varsity gets new VC
- National Identity Programme requires funding, commitment to succeed says NIMC DG
- Chile Air Force says cargo plane crashed with 38 onboard
- Reps laud army’s innovative stride
- Reps laud army’s stride in innovations
- Rotary Club offers free medical treatment to 100 people in Ibadan
- Senate mandates committee to investigate unremitted stamp duty fund
- Minister reiterates need for synergy in power sector
- NYSC urges Plateau Govt. to complete permanent orientation camp
- Association donates essentials to motherless babies in Kwara
- Ministerial negotiations begin at UN climate conference
- DisCos increase revenue collection by N43bn in one year
- Commission tasks MDAs on improved IGR for capital projects
- Algeria set for presidential election denounced by protesters as charade
- Psychiatrists identify causes of high incidents of suicide in Nigeria
- NYSC Governing Board commends Plateau Govt. over provision of permanent orientation camp
- WTO ban on tariffs for digital trade extended until June 2020
- Police arraign 46-year-old mechanic for allegedly stealing bus
- Border Closure will ensure more transparency, integrity in auto market – Cars45