The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) says it remains committed to supporting states in building a strong public health workforce capable of providing quick and effective response to public health threats.
Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, Director-General of NCDC, told the Nigeria News Agency on Thursday in Abuja, that this was in line with the centre’s five years strategic plan.
According to him, it is part of the requirements of the International Health Regulations (IHR), and workforce development at all levels remains a top priority.
“For 2019, our target is to have a One-Health-oriented Rapid Response Team (RRT) in every state in Nigeria.
“To achieve this, NCDC began a Zonal RRT training on Health Emergency Preparedness and Response, through the World Bank Regional Disease Surveillance System Enhancement project (REDISSSE),” Ihekweazu said.
The NCDC director-general said that through the training, the centre was supporting states in establishing their RRTs.
He said that the goal was to reinforce the capacity and skills of inter-disciplinary RRT and their individual members for early detection and effective response to public health events, irrespective of origin or source as a team.
The director-general said that the teams being trained were expected to cascade the training to other health workers in their respective states.
He said this was to ensure that all states in Nigeria have adequate personnel that could be mobilised quickly for outbreak response.
Ihekweazu said that with the full participation of all states’ RRT from the North-West zone, the fourth zonal RRT training was held from Sept. 16 to Sept. 20 in Kaduna State.
He disclosed that 232 state level officers had been trained across 26 states in the country.
“Our goal is to complete the RRT training in the remaining two zones (South-East and South-South) before the end of 2019.
“In states where these training have been completed, the skills acquired are now being consistently applied in the management of public health emergencies,” he said.
The NCDC director-general expressed with joy that the zonal RRT training had begun to yield key results, contributing to national health security. (NAN)
Edited by Olagoke Olatoye
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti