The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCos) on Monday ordered an immediate investigation into the death through electrocution of five inmates of the Ikoyi Medium Security Custodial Centre of Lagos Command that occurred on Dec.2.
Mr Ja’afaru Ahmed, the Controller General (CG) of NCoS, gave the directive in a statement signed and released to newsmen by the national spokesman of NCoS, Mr Francis Enobore, on Monday in Lagos.
He said that the directive became necessary after the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola and the CG had visited the scene of the incident.
The statement said, “Early this morning, CG Ja’afaru Ahmed received with the deepest grief, the unfortunate death of five inmates of Ikoyi Medium Security Custodial Centre, Lagos as a result of electrical fault in one of the cells.
“It was indeed tragic and most ill-fated despite the fact that it was the first time in the history of the NCoS to experience such a disaster.
“The CG, therefore, has ordered an immediate investigation into the sad incident with a view to taking necessary actions in order to forestall future occurrences. ”
The spokesman added that the CG expressed his condolences to the families of the deceased inmates.
He also prayed for the quick recovery of the seven others that were receiving treatment in the hospital following various injuries they sustained from the incident.
“We also assure the members of the public that inmates’ safety and humane custody will continue to be a priority of this administration.
” We further restate our commitment to pursue the policy thrust of the Federal Government at improving the general welfare of inmates,” the CG said.
The CG said that as at the time of the incident, the Ikoyi Medium Security Custodial Centre built in 1955 for 800 inmates, had a population of 3,113 with 2,680 of them being persons awaiting trial. ( NAN)
Edited & Vetted By: Peter Dada
- Wake-up to delivering democracy dividends, Gbadamosi urges Sanwo-Olu
- Yuletide: FRSC deploys 1,500 personnel to Kano highways
- FG commends Dangote’s $30bn domestic revenue generation drive, road constructions
- School feeding: NGO commends KDSG for setting up structures to curb corruption
- ACF condemns killing of aid workers by Boko Haram terrorists
- Adiyan Waterworks: Lagos govt. earmarks N600m to compensate property owners
- Greenwood strikes again to salvage home draw for Manchester United
- World Bank APPEALS project: 350 beneficiaries graduate in Lagos
- Shun evil, move closer to God for peace, unity to reign in Nigeria- Cleric urges Nigerians
- Bauchi: 1,000 exhibitors to participate in North East trade fair—-official
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21