Zindziswa “Zindzi” Mandela, the daughter of Nelson Mandela, the late former president of South Africa, has died in Johannesburg.
Her granddaughter Ndileka Mandela confirmed the information to dpa on Monday.
According to state broadcaster SABC, the 59-year-old, who was the younger daughter of Nelson Mandela and his second wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, died on Sunday in a Johannesburg hospital.
The details surrounding her death are not yet known and a statement is expected to be released by the family in due course.
Mandela was South Africa’s ambassador to Denmark at the time of her death.
A spokesperson for the ruling African National Congress, the political party which Nelson Mandela led and which won the country’s first democratic elections in 1994, expressed condolences on SABC.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
- Shooting prompts Trump’s evacuation from White House briefing room
- Collection of forms for 774,000 Special Public Works commences in Rivers
- Lawmaker commends Buhari, Diri over Oloibiri Museum, appeals for befitting access road
- Pay 4 years pension arrears, gratuities, pensioners beg Wike
- Police arrest 27 armed robbery, Kidnapping suspects in Nasarawa
- Wike seeks Assembly’s approval for N18bn loan
- COVID-19: FG directs civil servants on levels 12, 13 to resume work
- Obaseki seeks traditional ruler’s blessing ahead of Sept. 19 election
- Kano Govt establishes 3 more schools for Almajiri children
- United States decries Russia’s decree targeting VOA, others