Connect with us

Economy

NEMA donates relief materials to victims of fire out break in Yobe

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), on Friday, distributed relief materials to victims of the Nguru Central Market fire out break in Yobe.

Mr Ibrahim Adamu, the Relief and Rehabilitation Officer of NEMA, North-East Zone, said the agency received the sad news through the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development.

The Senate President, Ahmed Lawan  had communicated the incident to the Minister on March 29.

”The agency was later directed immediately by the minister to assess the effect of the fire disaster, in which we conducted the assessment together with the Yobe State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA),” he said.

Adamu also said the items donated were 145 bags of 25kg  rice, 145 bags of 25kg beans, 145 bags of 125kg maize, 15 bags of 50kg sugar, 10 bags of 20kg iodized salt and 15kg of 50L of vegetable oil.

He explained that other items donated included 20 cartons of  tomato paste, 435 bundles of roofing sheets, 600 bags of 50kg of cement, 75 bags of 3inch nails, 145 packets of zink nails and750 pieces of ceiling boards.

Earlier in his remarks, Dr Muhammed Goje, the Executive Secretary of the Yobe SEMA, commended the gesture and stated that the intervention was timely.

”The arrival of this intervention is timely and it shows that the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and the Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni and other stakeholders involved are very passionate about the plight of the people.

”Reason we came immediately to deliver the items to the victims hand to hand as directed by the Yobe state Governor,” Goje said.

Also speaking, Malam Ligali Dugu, the Director Personnel and Management, Nguru Local Government, lauded  the  State Government and NEMA for the gesture, on behalf of the beneficiaries.

He, however, appealed to the beneficiaries to utilise the relief materials they received judiciously.

Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

 

Foreign

Russia to reopen museums, cinemas in mid-July

Published

on

By

Russia is to reopen its museums and cinemas, currently closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19, in the middle of July, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Chernyshenko said Tuesday.

“Culture will gradually return to normal with strict observance of safety measures,” Chernyshenko said at a news briefing, adding that the exact dates of reopening will differ from region to region, depending on the epidemiological situation.

Museum employees have already begun to return to work, though visitors will only be permitted after a preparatory phase of 90 days, the minister said.

As for cinemas, the strictest compliance with anti-virus safety measures, such as social distancing and use of personal protective equipment, should be ensured, Chernyshenko said.

Theaters and concert halls will reopen during the final stage of restrictions being lifted, which is expected to happen in the fall, he added.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Netherlands reopens restaurants, cinemas as COVID-19 death toll remains low

Published

on

By

The Netherlands reopened restaurants, cafes, theaters, concert halls, museums and cinemas on Monday after two and a half months’ COVID-19 lockdown.

According to the rules, a maximum of 30 people are allowed in restaurants, cafes, theaters, concert halls and cinemas, as long as the 1.5-meter social distancing rules can be kept. A maximum of two people who are not from the same household can sit together at one table.

In museums, the maximum number of visitors depends on the available space. Reservations are required for all activities.

“We are taking the second step in easing the anti-coronavirus measures today,” Prime Minister Mark Rutte said on Twitter. “Only if everyone adheres to the measures we can take a step forward.”

From May 11, primary schools and childcare reopened partially in the country and contact professions such as hairdressers, driving instructors, masseurs and dentists also reopened under conditions. The relaxation of the measures follows a downward trend in the COVID-19 figures for more than a month.

Since Sunday, the COVID-19 death toll in The Netherlands rose by 6 to a total of 5,962, while the number of confirmed cases grew by 103 to 46,545, the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) announced on Monday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

People watch movie at drive-in cinema at Port of Gruz in Croatia

Published

on

By

People watch a movie at a drive-in cinema at the Port of Gruz in Dubrovnik, Croatia, on May 29, 2020. (Grgo Jelavic/Pixsell via Xinhua)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

NEMA distributes relief materials to 478 victims of banditry in Sokoto

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has distributed relief materials to 478 people who were attacked by bandits in Wurno and Raba Local Government Areas of Sokoto State.

Dr Kofoworola Soleye, Head of NEMA, Sokoto Zonal office, said at the distribution ceremony on Friday, that the gesture was facilitated by the member representing Wurno/Raba Federal Constituency, Ibrahim Almustapha.

Soleye said Almustapha forwarded the request to support the people and the Federal Government approved it.

Represented by the NEMA Zonal Planning Officer, Mr Tukur Abubakar, Soleye said the items included 350 bags of 12.5 kg of rice and millet, 20 kegs of palm oil, 60 cartons of bath soap and 100 cartons of detergents.

Others are 800 pieces of blankets, plastic buckets, guinea brocade and wax prints each along with 500 pieces of children’s wear and 349 pieces of mosquito nets.

He said the building materials comprised of 300 bags of cements, 300 pieces of ceiling boards, 300 bundles of roofing sheets, 150 packets of Zink nails and 80 bags 3’’ nails.

Soleye noted that the distribution was sequel to the approval by NEMA Director-General, AVM Mohammed Mohammed, as approved by the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Hajia Sadiya Umar and President Muhammadu Buhari.

Speaking at the event, Alhaji Shehu Chacho, who represented Almustapha, said the gesture was part of efforts in the series of assistance packages being distributed to victims and commended President Buhari for prompt response.

Chacho said the lawmaker had through personal assistance, facilitated government support to the victims, noting that about 3,000 persons were affected in 26 communities within the constituency.

The distribution committee Chairman, Malam Umar Ahmadu-Raba, said the committee screened 478 beneficiaries who were directly affected by banditry activities in the two local government areas.

The District Heads of Wurno and Raba Local Government Areas, Alhaji Kabiru Alhassan and Alhaji Abdullahi Bello, commended the Federal Government and the lawmaker for the efforts and expressed optimism that the gesture would cushion their hardship.

Some of the beneficiaries, Malam Hussani Ara and Bala Ibrahim, appreciated the gesture, adding that the bandits killed many people in the area.

According to them, they lost about 60 cows along with other valuables to the bandits.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN) 

Continue Reading

General news

NEMA donates building materials to OAUTH, Ile-Ife

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Friday donated building materials worth millions of naira to the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital (OAUTH), Ile-Ife in Osun, to rebuild buildings affected by natural disaster.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that some of the items donated include: ceiling boards, bag of cements, roofing sheets, zinc and nails, among others.

Donating the items in Ile-Ife, AVM Muhammadu Muhammed, NEMA Director-General, said the building materials were meant for repair and rebuild of some of the collapsed buildings affected by natural disasters in the hospital.

Muhammed, represented by Mr Olusegun Afolayan, NEMA Zonal Head of Operations, said donation of the building materials to the hospital was necessitated when the attention of the agency was drawn to some of the buildings within the hospital that needed urgent repairs.

He said: “NEMA came on assessment tour to check the level of damage and the repairs needed to be carried out across some departments in the hospital, before the delivery of these building materials.

“Our attention was drawn to some of the buildings within the teaching hospital in March 31, and we came on an assessment tour in April to see things for ourselves.

“During the assessment tour, we visited the staff quarters, hospital wards, operation theatres, laboratories, consultant offices, among other departments affected by the disaster.

“And, that is why NEMA is donating these building materials to fix the affected building for better healthcare services.”

He commended the Federal Government for donating the items, urging the management of the teaching hospital to make judicious use of it.

In his remarks, Prof. Victor Adetiloye, the Chief Medical Director of OAUTH, thanked NEMA for the donation of the building materials to the hospital.

Adetiloye noted that the materials would be used judiciously for the purpose for which it was given without any diversion.

He said the institution would continue to maintain synergy with NEMA, especially in the areas of managing issues with urgent concern.

Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Irm Hermann, who worked with giants of New German Cinema, dies at 77

Published

on

Actress Irm Hermann, whose work with celebrated director Rainer Werner Fassbinder shot her to stardom at a seminal moment for German cinema, has died aged 77.

Her agent Antje Schlag confirmed the news, citing information from the family.

Born in Munich in 1942, Irmgard Hermann first worked in her home city as a secretary, before an encounter with Fassbinder in 1966 changed the course of her life.

She starred in his short film “The City Tramp” (“Der Stadtstreicher”) that same year.

She would later go on to become a close confidante of Fassbinder, who is credited as one of the founding fathers of the postwar New German Cinema genre. He died in Munich in 1982.

Hermann starred in many of his films, including “Love Is Colder Than Death” (1969) and “Berlin Alexanderplatz” (1980).

She also worked with director Werner Herzog, starring in his 1979 film “Woyzcek,” based on the play of the same name by Georg Buechner.

After moving to Berlin in 1975, Hermann also established a prolific career in theatre, performing on some of the German capital’s most famous stages.

She was married to Dietmar Roberg, a children’s book author, with whom she had two sons.

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Metro

COVID-19: NEMA distributes 19,713 metric tonnes of grains to 4 states

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has distributed 19,713 metric tonnes of grains to Lagos, Kano, Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory, as part of measures to cushion the effect of the pandemic in the states.

Mr Tope Ajayi, Assistant Chief Relief and Rehabilitation Officer of the agency disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Abuja.

He said that the agency in collaborated with the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to ensure smooth distribution of the palliatives.

He noted that the grains consist of maize, millet and sorghum.

“At the onset, the directive was for the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to ensure that the grains get to 13 front line states.

“But with the expansion and spread of the pandemic, there was need for us to extend to 24 states.

“So in the first batch, we delivered to Ogun, Lagos, Kano and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Presently, we are distributing to Zamfara, Borno and Katsina state.

“So out of the 70 metric tonnes of grains which was approved for distribution by President Buhari, 19,713 metric tonnes went to the first four states earlier mentioned.

“The remaining 50,286 metric tonnes will be distributed to the remaining 20 states,” he said.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Danish football restart with virtual tribune and drive-in cinema

Published

on

The Danish Super League is set to restart on May 28 and clubs have been quite inventive when it comes to coping with having to play behind closed doors.

The first match, after a coronavirus-related break of two-and-a-half months, is a regional derby between Aarhus and Randers, then come the last two rounds of the regular season, followed by the championship round with the best six teams.

While the fans can’t come into the stadium in person because of ongoing restrictions, Aarhus are going digital to have them present after all.

Fans can watch the game from 22 different blocks in the stadium in a collaboration with the Zoom video platform.

Some of the fans will also appear on the big screen in the stadium so that the players benefit as well.

Club boss, Jacob Nilsen, believes that getting the fans into the stadium in this way could be copied by others.

“It appears that we will have to play without spectators for a while.

“Maybe we can inspire other clubs to have similar initiatives and that they can profit from it over the next weeks,’’ Nilsen said.

Aarhus are also having their fans fill the seats with cardboard cut-outs and they will arrange a live broadcast at a central square with fans able to watch from their cars.

Runaway leaders Midtjylland have a similar idea named “Drive In Football” – turning their stadium parking area into a drive-in cinema to allow some 10,000 fans in 2,000 vehicles to follow the team’s first match in this way.

The Super League got permission in early May to restart, which gives the Danes a head start over northern neighbours, Sweden where the top two leagues -Allsvenskan and Superettan – are still in talks with health authorities over a June 14 season start pushed back from April.

The leagues’ group SEF has provided a detailed concept and even though Sweden didn’t have as strict lockdown measures as most other countries games will also be played without fans there.

“We play without spectators, only a minimal amount of officials and media will be allowed into the stadium.

“The fans will watch the games in their home towns, on TV or in sports bars,’’ the SEF said.

But fans are gradually to be allowed back, with only every third seat occupied and the standing areas remaining closed.

However, patience is required as the nation’s top epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, told the Aftonbladet paper in mid-May that “we will let you know in early June’’.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

 
Continue Reading

Politics

Lagos says Pen-Cinema Brigde will soon be completed

Published

on

The Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, has assured residents that  ongoing construction of the Pen-Cinema Bridge in Agege would soon be completed.

Hamzat gave the assurance through his Instagram page on Thursday.

The deputy governor said that he paid an unscheduled visit/inspection to the ongoing construction of the Pen-Cinema Bridge.

According to Hamzat, the engineers still have a long way to go.

He, however, expressed optimism about work done and assured that the bridge would be completed soon.

“Work is ongoing and l am impressed with the progress made so far.

“Though we still have a long way to go,  but l am optimistic that the construction work will soon be completed and residents can make use of the bridge,” he said.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also