The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Friday received another batch of 171 stranded Nigerians from Libya.
Muhammed said the figure comprised 61 female adults, one female child and five female infants, as well as 98 adult males, one male child and five male infants.
He advised Nigerian youths to be wary of overseas love advances from strangers, noting that this was now one of the tactics being used by human traffickers, to lure them outside the country.
The coordinator said the traffickers were now contacting ladies via social media apps, especially Facebook and WhatsApp, and making fake marriage proposals to them, to deceive them into traveling outside Nigeria.
He cited a particular case when a lady sought advice about a man who simply called himself Ali, who claimed to be living in Sudan.
“Upon critical observation, the code number of the caller indicated that it belongs to Libyan code, and the man that makes video calls was an Arab; but he was not making statements for the lady to hear him.
“It was understood that the man cannot communicate in English, but someone behind the scene was responsible for the chatting with the lady,” Muhammed said.
He urged them to put behind their experiences in the volatile North African country and take advantage of the opportunities being put in place by the Federal Government, IOM and other development partners, to forge a better future for themselves.
Muhammed advised young Nigerians planning to leave the country to make use of the Migrant Resource Centres, jointly set up by the government and the IOM, to know more about their destination countries.
NAN reports that NEMA said as at March 15, 12,574 Nigerians have so far returned from Libya under the Assisted Voluntary Returnees Programme, which began in April 2017.
NAN reports that NEMA said over 4,900 of the returnees have also been trained on various skill acquisition and empowerment training by IOM through special funding facilitated by the EU.
- Spotlight: Mask-wearing remains controversial in U.S. as COVID-19 death toll exceeds 100,000
- Mexico reports 3,377 new COVID-19 cases, 447 more deaths
- Visitors visit Panda Pavilion of Zoo Berlin in Germany
- S.Korea reports 58 more COVID-19 cases, 11,402 in total
- IOM deplores killing of 30 trafficked migrants in Libya
- Nigerian president orders military operations against gang attacks
- 2020 Boston Marathon canceled, to be held virtually
- Hong Kong’s prosperity, stability brook no disruption: spokesperson
- Commentary: China’s Civil Code a landmark law to protect people’s rights
- Baccalaureate students resume classes in Tunis, Tunisia
- Pakistan to establish national cell against rising locust threat: minister
- NCDC confirms 182 new cases of COVID-19, total active cases now hits 6064
- Romania to allow outdoor sports events from June 1
- Abduction: NAWOJ wants immediate release of NTA female reporter, Chinyere Okoye
- Farmers harvest wheat in the countryside of Sale, Morocco
- Brazilian president signs financial aid bill for states, cities
- U.S. president signs executive order targeting social media companies
- Israeli children play in wheat field ahead of Jewish holiday of Shavuot
- Palliative: Kano Govt begins second phase distribution of food items
- People visit traditional lantern festival in Seoul, S. Korea