Connect with us

Foreign

New Zealand reports no new case of COVID-19

Published

on

New Zealand reported no new case of COVID-19 on Saturday, said a statement of the Ministry of Health.

This means New Zealand’s combined total number of confirmed and probable cases stays at 1,504, of which 1,154 are confirmed, it said.

New Zealand currently has 1,455 people reported as having recovered from COVID-19, taking 97 percent of all confirmed and probable cases.

There is only one person receiving hospital care for COVID-19 and is not in ICU. The death toll remained at 21 in the country.

The total number of tests completed to date is 255,850, an increase of 5,604.

New Zealand is currently at COVID-19 Alert Level 2. The general public are urged to stay vigilant and adhere to key health measures such as good hand hygiene and social distancing.

An official contact tracing mobile app was also launched on Wednesday to help identify, trace, test and isolate any cases of COVID-19.

“New Zealand is in a relatively good position with regard to restricting the number of cases of COVID-19, and it’s important that we keep it there,” said Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield.

The New Zealand government will reconsider the maximum number of people, which currently at 10, in a public and private gathering on Monday.

(XINHUA)

Foreign

New Zealand confirms no new case of COVID-19 for 10 consecutive days

Published

on

By

New Zealand reported no new case of COVID-19 on Monday for 10 consecutive days, with the combined total of confirmed and probable cases staying at 1,504, according to the Ministry of Health.

The total number of confirmed cases reported to the World Health Organization remained at 1,154, said a ministry statement.

The number of people who have recovered reached 1,481, with only one case remaining active, it said, and the number of COVID-19 related deaths remained at 22.

The NZ COVID Tracer app has now recorded 476,000 registrations, an increase of 8,000 on Sunday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Mongolia confirms 6 new COVID-19 cases, 185 in total

Published

on

By

Mongolia reported six new cases of COVID-19 over the last 24 hours, bringing the national count to 185, the country’s National Center for Communicable Disease (NCCD) said Monday.

“A total of 371 tests for COVID-19 were conducted in the country yesterday and six of them were positive,” NCCD head Dulmaa Nyamkhuu told a daily press conference.

The new patients are Mongolian nationals who returned home from Russia on May 15, said Nyamkhuu.

All the COVID-19 cases in Mongolia were imported, mostly from Russia. Among them, a total of 44 patients, including four foreigners, have recovered.

No local transmissions or deaths have been reported in the Asian country so far.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Spotlight: More countries to ease COVID-19 restrictions as global cases rise with Latin America as new epicenter

Published

on

By

More countries in Europe and Asia began to ease restrictions and resume operations, but more than 1 million cases of COVID-19 have been recorded in Latin America and the Caribbean, now the new epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.

Globally, confirmed COVID-19 cases have surpassed 6.16 million, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.

NEW EPICENTER

Brazil on Sunday said its nationwide tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases reached 514,849 after 16,409 people tested positive in the past 24 hours, while the death toll neared 30,000.

Its death toll rose to 29,314, the fourth highest in the global pandemic after the United States, Britain and Italy, after 480 deaths had been reported since Saturday, while another 4,208 deaths are still being investigated for any linkage with COVID-19, the Ministry of Health said.

Also on Sunday, Mexico‘s Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell said that the country reported 3,152 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 90,664.

There were 151 new coronavirus deaths in Mexico, taking total fatalities to 9,930, Lopez-Gatell added.

Meanwhile, Chile‘s COVID-19 cases increased by 4,830 to reach 99,688 on Sunday.

In the past 24 hours, 57 more patients died, the highest number of fatalities in a single day so far, taking the death toll from the disease to 1,054.

A lockdown is in effect in the capital Santiago and the metropolitan area through June 5, as the region is the epicenter of the country’s outbreak.

In recent weeks, Chile has seen an exponential rise in the number of cases and deaths, leading the government to set up field hospitals to deal with the growing number of patients.

EASING RESTRICTIONS

Italy has now recorded fewer than 600 new cases per day for eight consecutive days, a dramatic drop from peaks of more than 6,000 new infections a day, when Italy was the epicenter of the pandemic in late March.

Recent trends show that the spread of the virus has slowed dramatically despite a gradual easing of Italy’s national lockdown at a two-week interval, first on May 4 and again on May 18.

The next step toward easing will come on June 3, when Italians will be allowed to move freely between regions even if for non-essential reasons. It will be the first time such travels will be allowed since March 9, the day before the national lockdown entered into force.

Many businesses across Turkey on Sunday also prepared to resume operation for the first time after over two months of closure amid a slowdown in the spread of COVID-19.

Restaurants, cafes, parks, beaches, daycare centers, kindergartens, libraries, sports facilities, swimming pools, and museums will be operational as of June 1 as part of the new normalization process announced on May 28.

Following the announcement, the Health Ministry prepared a guide in particular for the eating and drinking industry, explaining the new rules in a detailed way.

Likewise, the Egyptian government on Sunday announced a decision to reduce its curfew from 10 hours to nine, following a meeting led by Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly.

The government has already started gradual reopening of services and offices suspended since mid-March amid a “coexistence plan” to maintain anti-coronavirus precautionary measures while resuming services, businesses and economic activities.

Chairing Saturday‘s Downing Street daily briefing, British Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said Britons will be able to exercise outside with up to five others from different households from Monday, provided that strict social distancing guidelines are followed.

He also announced that from Monday, competitive sport will be allowed behind closed doors in England, paving the way for the return of live sports on TV screens in almost three months.

The move came as some experts warned that lifting restrictions before cases come down is too “risky.” Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, England‘s deputy chief medical officer, said that Britons need to “actually follow the guidance.”

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria records 307 new cases, total now 10,162

Published

on

Nigeria on Sunday recorded 307 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total infections to 10,162.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on its official twitter handle, also confirmed 287 deaths.

The centre said 3,007 patients have been treated and discharged.

The NCDC said that till date, the 10,162 cases were recorded in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory

The health agency said the 307 new cases were reported from 15 states.

They are: Lagos (188), FCT (44), Ogun (19), Kaduna (14), Oyo (12), Bayelsa (9), Gombe (5), Kano (3), Delta (3), Imo (2), Rivers (2), Niger (2), Bauchi (2), Plateau (1), Kwara (1).


Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Peru confirms 8,805 new COVID-19 cases as total hits 164,476

Published

on

By

Peru reported 8,805 new confirmed COVID-19 cases and 135 new deaths on Sunday, bringing the total caseload of infections to 164,476 and the death toll to 4,506.

Currently, 8,882 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, with 988 in intensive care units and on ventilators, the Health Ministry said.

Peru will continue to use the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine to treat patients, Health Minister Victor Zamora said, adding that it was recommended by a team of experts.

The World Health Organization has recently advised against using the medication on COVID-19 patients due to an estimated higher mortality rate caused by the drug.

Peru’s lockdown has been extended to June 30 in a bid to contain the coronavirus outbreak.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

New curfews announced throughout Los Angeles area

Published

on

By

Los Angeles declared another curfew effective local time 8:00 p.m. Sunday to 5:30 a.m. Monday as the second largest city in the United States braced for another day of unrest and potentially violent protests sparked by death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the order at a press conference Sunday noon after a night of looting and vandalism in the city’s downtown and shopping streets.

Other cities in Southern California, including Santa Ana, Culver City and West Hollywood, which joined Los Angeles in proclaiming an overnight curfew on Saturday, also extended the curfew to local time 5:30 a.m. Monday.

Police continued to arrest people who were looting stores or were on the streets in violation of a city curfew early Sunday morning and hundreds of the members of California National Guard were deployed overnight in Los Angeles downtown to restore the order.

California governor Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County on Saturday night to cope with the unrest, which, with a population of more than 10 million population, is the most populous county in the United States.

The document signed by Newsom attributed the Los Angeles protests to a response to the death of George Floyd.

On May 25, 2020, George Floyd tragically died in Minneapolis, Minnesota, shortly following his arrest in which an officer of the Minneapolis Police Department kneeled on his neck to detain him during the arrest, and then did not respond to Mr. Floyd‘s requests for help when he stated that he could not breathe,” the document read.

The Consulate General of China in Los Angeles issued a note to Chinese citizens living in the area, reminding them to follow curfew imposed by local authority and skip places where the protests and riots erupted.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Oman reports 1,014 new COVID-19 cases, 11,437 in total

Published

on

By

The Omani Ministry of Health announced on Sunday 1,014 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 11,437.

According to a statement issued by the ministry, all new cases, including 371 Omanis, are related to community contact.

The statement also said 286 patients of COVID-19 had recovered, bringing the total recoveries to 2,682. Seven new deaths were reported, bringing the death toll to 49.

The ministry called on people to observe the procedures for quarantine, avoid public places or places of worship, and ensure public hygiene.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 700 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 40 new deaths

Published

on

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 700 within one day to 26,473, with the death toll adding by 40 to 1,613, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference on Sunday.

According to him, 293 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 7,308.

The pandemic has spread to all 34 provinces in the archipelagic country.

Authorities have been conducting coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal”, under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

U.S. to impose new sanctions against Hezbollah: envoy

Published

on

By

U.S. Ambassador to Lebanon Dorothy Shea announced on Sunday that the United States plans to impose new sanctions against Hezbollah and possibly against supporters of the group, OTV local TV channel reported.

“New sanctions will be put in place starting June 1,” Shea said in a televised interview.

Shea denied the U.S. intention to cause a collapse to the Lebanese economy by imposing sanctions against Hezbollah, adding that the United States will make announcements next week to provide scholarships for students at the American University of Beirut and the Lebanese American University.

Lebanese experts have expressed their worries about the U.S. intention of putting obstacles in the way of Lebanon’s access to funds by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) given the role of Hezbollah in the government.

Lebanon is currently negotiating with the IMF the possibility of funds in a bid to restructure the country’s economy and implement necessary reforms for economic revival.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also