Features/Vol.13/2019 (Sept. 11)
How does Kebbi tackle “street children’’?
A News Analysis by Ibrahim Bello, the Nigeria News Agency
Irrespective of the status of the state in that regard then, the number of “street children’’ had been steadily on the increase until the present administration, citizens of the state agree.
To buttress the agreement, prior to the inauguration of the present administration in the state, a recent report from the Kebbi Ministry of Education indicated that 498,000 children were out of school.
Similarly a statistics by the UNICEF showed that the state had 68 per cent out of school children in 2012 and the net attendant ratio at primary level was 22.3 per cent in 2015.
Worried by the development and to take the children of the streets and to boost enrollment in schools, the Kebbi Government in collaboration with Mass Literacy Programme and Almajiri Initiative (MALPAI), recently began a human development programme to take children off streets in Kebbi.
Gov. Atiku Bagudu of the state said that the state government earmarked N1.8 billion to take 600,000 children off streets in the state.
“Previously at the MALPAI event, I said we had earmarked over N900 million to be disbursed through the Ministry of Basic Education in the state; but now the money has risen to N1.8 billion,’’ he said.
Bagudu said that more than 600,000 out of school children would be enrolled in schools through financial support.
“The support will be provided to the teachers and pupils in addition to toilet facilities, accommodation, teaching and learning materials to Almajiri schools for proper upbringing,’’ he said.
The governor noted that the children would be taught English and Mathematics to enable them to further education up to colleges of education, polytechnics or universities in line with the nation’s education policy.
“The aim is to assist the less privileged, orphans and Almajiri to live a better life which is the core programme of human development,’’ the governor said
The governor commended his wife Hajiya Aisha Bagudu, the founder of MALPAI, for her initiative.
He urged parents and guardians to enrol their wards and children into schools, assuring that government would support and encourage them to excel in all fields.
In her view, Hajiya Bagudu said that the organisation, which recently celebrated its 10 years of establishment, would continue to provide support and assistance to the less-privileged in society.
“The foundation recently sponsored more tahn 300 children to various schools and tertiary institutions.
“We are doing this to encourage the underprivileged children to have to access western education.
She said that some of the children had gained admissions into universities and polytechnics.
She said that her foundation was also doing this to complement the efforts of the state government at boosting the enrollment of out-of-school children into the state’s public schools.
She said that some of the children that had benefited from the foundation were girls from Qur’anic schools and boys fending for themselves — the almajiri.
According to her, the foundation has penetrated some nomadic settlements and the hard-to-reach villages with a view to increasing the enrollment of the less-privileged children into public schools.
“We went to about 44 Fulani communities in the four emirates we have in the state; we trained women on how to be self- reliant.
“We vaccinated their cattle against diseases and gave them support which we believe will help them to encourage their spouses and let them send their wards to schools.
“We want to see the less privileged children competing favourably with the children of the well-to-do in the tertiary institutions; and we want them to become productive citizens to the society after graduation,’’ she said.
Bagudu said that the foundation had reached out to agencies of government, national and international organisations for collaboration.
She said that such collaboration would help to improve the lives of the less-privileged children through education.
Mrs Bagudu who said that her foundation was being self-funded, however, expressed appreciation to Bagudu for his administration’s assistance and collaboration with it.
She said that the assistance and collaboration had enabled the foundation to reach out to the remote communities and settlements within the state.
She expressed appreciation and gratitude for the support and encouragement from the governor to the success of the initiative.
The former state Commissioner for Education, Alhaji Magawata Aliero, said the programme of Almajiri system introduced by the wife of the governor had been accepted widely in the state.
“We have established six schools via her initiatives; three in Birnin Kebbi, one in Dakingari, Koko and Argungu,’’ he said.
The State Permanent, Ministry of Education, Hajiya Rafa’atu Hammani, in her view said that the government had commenced building of more than 40 Nomadic schools in the 21 local government areas of the state.
“The work has commenced as we have already begun provision of some social amenities in some Fulani settlements.
“We had interacted with them in all the communities and some already provided lands for us,’’ Hammani said.
He, nonetheless, commended the state government for placing priority on Almajiri system in the state.
Bunza urged the well-to-do and corporate organisations to assist the government in ensuring the reformation of the Almajiri system.
Similarly, Malam Muhammad Sodangi, in Karu Gaje of Kalgo Local Government Area, commended the founder and state government for making life easy and education accessible to their wards.
“Our women were first trained on how to do yoghurt with the condensed milk and they have become self reliant.
“This really encouraged us to allow our children to go to schools because we have no need now to send our wards to rear our cattle as we have financial support from our wives,’’ he said.
Sodangi and other concerned citizens of the state, therefore, called on the well-to-do and non-governmental organisations to emulate the foundation by providing skill training to women for development.(Features)
- PDP wins Kaduna Assembly seat
- Bauchi rerun elections: PDP clinches Gamawa Federal Constituency seat
- APC wins Reps seat in Cross River
- Nigerian Army troops thwart Boko Haram attacks in Borno
- Mennonite celebrates 100 years of humanitarian services worldwide
- Wellbeing Foundation Africa mourns late WHO Director
- Saudi Arabia wealth fund in talks to buy Newcastle United for £340 million
- Bauchi Supplementary elections: PDP wins Zaki Federal Constituency polls
- Rangers agree permanent deal with Defoe
- Artists decry continuous locking of Abuja Arts, Craft Village
- China-Nigeria relations productive, beneficial, says Chinese ambassador
- NUJ Chairman calls for independence of Nigeria Press Council
- FAAN explains bush fire incident around airfield side at Lagos Airport
- Lassa fever: Enugu Govt urges residents to be calm, dispels rumour of nurse death
- Amotekun needs FG’s backing to operate, says CG Vigilante Group
- Buhari congratulates Gov. Lalong of Plateau on Knighthood
- Buhari mourns Abdulkadir Oniyangi
- Bishop Kaigama tasks Papal awardees to be guided by Christian values
- Stakeholders call for robust media freedom
- Professionalism key to quality service delivery in NCC – CEO
- Niger gov. condemns renewed bandits attacks on communities
- Lassa fever: 29 deaths, 195 confirmed cases reported in 11 states – NCDC
- Why I am playing local politics – Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Obisia Nwamkpa tasks Lagos on early preparations
- FRSC to impound flatbed trailers without proper latching
- 91 bag first class, as NDU holds 5th combined convocation in Bayelsa
- Stop selling foreign films, NFVCB warns traders
- Kwara Cathedral church re-opens – Statement
- P/Harcourt Disco begins 7.5% VAT Feb. 1
- Mathematicians urge govt. to embrace evidence-based planning for national development
- ZLP inaugurates new executives in Ondo
- Service to the people, essence of governance – Badagry LG boss
- Ogun Govt. warns against erection of structure, farming in forest reserves
- EFCC invades election venue in Imo rerun
- Football : Sarri says jeers would be a sign of affection for him
- Ogun Govt. trains law officers in ICT
- President Buhari commends Gov. Matawalle’s handling of insecurity in Zamfara
- Mrs Saraki mourns death of WHO’s head of UHC, Salama
- Mushin plank market, 4 other buildings ravaged by fire in Lagos
- Amotekun: Tinubu, a true leader – Yoruba Ronu
- Senate President empowers constituents, supports 2,000 students
- Empowerment: Senate President distributes entrepreneurship kits to constituents, support 2, 000 indigent students
- Military foils 419 vandalism attempts on oil export pipelines – Commander
- Malaria: NGOs distribute free drugs, treated nets in FCT
- Iheanacho sends Foxes into FA Cup last 16
- Sokoto re-run election hitch free, declaration of results begins- INEC
- NEMA sensitises traders on fire prevention in Kaduna
- Yoruba youths honour NSE chairperson, urge preservation of indigenous languages
- NASPOLY academic staff union elects new officials
- Fidelity Bank rewards customers, harps on youth empowerment
- Bauchi Supplementary, rerun polls, an improvement over 2019 exercise – REC
- MTN empowers 2,000 Nigerian with “Kiosk as a Service” scheme
- Experts caution against excessive, unprescibed use of sex stimulants
- NGO donates improved seedlings to 50, other items to 340 IDPs in Plateau
- FRSC doctorates 25 newly promoted officers in Nsukka
- Kaigama tasks Gov Lalong on inclusive governance
- NATE to fabricate rice dryer, other agric machines this year
- Mobile court prosecutes 300 sanitation offenders in Nasarawa
- KDSG confirms one case of Lassa fever
- Emir of Daura restates commitment to government’s programmes
- Group advocates for National Disability Commission
- Africa has potential to be biggest economic miracle, says AfDB President
- Re-run: Police commend peaceful voting in C/River
- North-East: FG working toward resettling displaced communities
- Finance Act will stimulate Nigerian economy — Osinbajo
- APC scribe commends Abia South peaceful re-run elections
- Kaduna re-run election witnesses voter apathy
- Bauchi Supplementary/rerun polls record large turnout of voters
- Voting commences in Akwa Ibom rerun election
- Lekki residents want Lagos govt to fix roads in dry season
- Financial experts say CRR raise necessary to tame inflation
- NBTE commends Yabatech for setting standards among Polytechnics
- Ex- ANAN President tasks FG on nation’s security
- Lassa Fever: Expert emphasises environmental hygiene
- Sokoto Re-run: Election commences peacefully, turnout impressive
- UTME: NSCDC pledges partnership with JAMB in Anambra
- Review of Nigeria’s university curriculum in final stage – NUC
- Kano Commitee cautions residents on sanitation to prevent Lassa fever
- Korean blockbuster film “Extreme Job” light-up Asian Film Festival in FCT
- Agency woos youths in Anambra on aquaculture
- India-Nigeria bilateral trade volume increase to $13. 9b in 2018-2019
- NIS prevents trafficking of 9 girls
- NPFL Match Day 17: Plateau United, Rivers United, Lobi Stars in battle for top spot
- Oba of Benin calls for peaceful co-existence, unity among Nigerians
- Rooney fails to inspire as Derby draw goalless with Northampton
- FCT police arrest traditional ruler over murder of officer
- Community policing will address insecurity, says APC Governors
- TetFund to construct N500m library at Fed. Varsity Gusau
- Bolivia cut-off diplomatic relations with Cuba
- Education in serious crisis, say stakeholders at UN
- We didn’t direct decommissioning of metres by DisCos – NERC
- FG lauds UNHCR services in Nigeria
- NAF postpones induction ceremony of newly acquired Agusta power helicopters
- Northern/Southern leaders hold peace talk in Lagos
- Rerun: INEC pledges credible elections in all polling units
- Attacks: CAN urges harmony between Xtians, Muslims
- India reiterates commitment to increased defence collaboration with Nigeria
- C/River Gov’t assures of timely completion of General Hospital Calabar
- TI report on Nigeria unfair, untenable- ICPC
- UI offers admission to 4,359 out of 19,482
- Banking sector gross credit grows by N2trn in 7 months – Emefiele
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Human encroachment triggers infectious diseases- Lagos Commissioner
- Gov. Obiano begins payment of N30,000 new minimum wage in January
- Egypt will continue to strengthen African unity -Envoy
- Be more patriotic, promote indigenous airlines operating in Nigeria, says Onyeama
- 20th NSF: Osun official promises better performance
- Gov. Zulum inaugurates Security Trust Fund, 3 other boards
- Corps members conduct sanitation exercise at Plateau hospital
- ATBU Teaching Hospital celebrates 10-year anniversary
- 2020 UTME registration: JAMB takes measures against erring CTB centres in Nasarawa
- No amount of blackmail ‘ll discourage 9th Assembly from supporting FG
- Re-run elections: I-G orders security beef up in affected states
- Ikeja Electric upgrades network in Akowonjo, Abule-Egba business units to improve power supply
- Sudan signs initial political, security deal with rebel group
- FG seeks support in returning out-of-school children to classes
- Buratai emerges Daily Asset Man of the Year
- Militant sentenced to five years for abandoned Berlin bomb plot
- UK’s Prince Charles urges Middle East peace, visits grandmother’s tomb
- C/River Assembly not investigating PZ Wilmar -Speaker
- Gov. Zulum tasks emergency response team to contain Lassa fever
- Nigerians spend over N300bn yearly on malaria treatment – Virologist
- DPR denies resuming kerosene supply to Cross River
- Group offers free surgeries to 60 indigents in Kwara
- Solskjaer urges patience with Manchester United’s rebuilding project
- EU officials sign withdrawal deal, appoint ambassador as Brexit looms
- Housing: Labour signs MoU with FMBN in Ondo
- Conjunctivitis: Demand for Sun glasses increases in Enugu
- White House hopes for impeachment to wrap up next week
- Coronavirus: Doctors urge FG to step up screening at airports, borders
- Egypt’s ex-president Mubarak undergoes surgery, son says
- Man docked for allegedly threatening DPO’s life
- Britain decries U.S. decision on extradition refusal
- Airtel launches new number range, 0904
- Second case of coronavirus confirmed in the U.S
- UNICEF tasks FG, State Governments on youth development
- More than 1m Ethiopians receive humanitarian aid in 2019 – IOM
- UNICEF reaffirms support to PAN’s pneumonia control
- EU steps up support for conflict victims in Nigeria
- Plateau Police command gets new spokesperson
- London police to deploy live facial recognition cameras
- Kwara govt will seek to eradicate drug abuse, poverty through sports, deputy governor says
- Nigeria deploy 185 troops to Guinea Bissau for peace keeping mission
- Polaris Bank pledges continued disbursement of salary advance to customers
- Large explosion rocks Houston, at least 1 person hospitalised
- Pension Team rejected N2bn bribe, EFCC witness tells court
- Tunisia’s PM-designate says new gov’t to have no more than 25 ministers
- French ministers sign off on pension reforms amid large protests
- Desert locust likely head toward Uganda, South Sudan, Ethiopia
- Gov. Obiano restates commitment to Anambra Airport road project
- Foreign Reserves: CBN not contemplating devaluation of currency
- Don stresses need for home-grown technology to solve health challenges
- Gov. Lalong extends hands of fellowship to opposition
- Edo 2020: Lagos wins S/West Zonal Eliminations
- Sokoto rerun election: Police assure of adequate security
- Delta to demolish unapproved outdoor adverts, structures
- Pantami inaugurates NIGCOMSAT board
- Ejigbo LCDA seals off Kenmoore Motors on court order
- Group to trains medical practitioners on automated healthcare services in Lagos
- FG inaugurates $1bn National Agric Mechanisation Committee
- Gov. Ishaku signs Taraba’s N215bn 2020 budget into law
- Development: Nasarawa Commissioner drums support for Gov. Sule
- Monetary committee increases cash ratio from 22.5% to 27.5%
- Rugby: Vegas Sportswear proud to associate with Nigeria, plans to promote sports in Africa
- Trump’s peace plan may polarise Middle East: Palestinians
- At least 21 dead, 20 missing as heavy rains lash Madagascar
- Foundation launches history club in FCT schools
- Centre trains 37 officers in sexual exploitation, abuse, gender
- New signing Odriozola could make Bayern debut against Schalke – Flick
- NSE: Market capitalisation sustains growth with N19bn
- U.S. Vice President Pence meets pope, jokes ‘You have made me a hero’
- NSF 2020: Edo to engage 1,000 cleaners
- IPPIS: ASUU threatens `No Pay, No Work’ over FG plan to stop salaries of lecturers
- Helen Paul advises women to appreciate self
- Intl’ Day of Education: Education key in achieving 2030 SDGs agenda, says Lagos lawmaker
- Barca meet Leganes in Copa, Real Madrid to face Zaragoza
- US consulate commends Dorian charity home initiative in Ondo
- Court remands 2 over alleged murder, possession of firearms
- Enters ‘Operation Last Dance’, Actors’ Guild movie on war against insurgency
- CAF Confederation Cup: Rangers gunning for win in Cairo, says Team Manager
- Federer survives huge scare to reach last 16 on freaky Friday
- Osaka still searching for ‘champion mentality’ after Melbourne loss
- Du Toit adds SA Rugby prize to crown of world’s best player
- Experts seek alternative investment instruments to deepen financial markets
- FA fines Manchester United for failing to control players
- Brighton turn Mooy’s loan deal into permanent contract
- NUJ mourns Ronke Fajemirokun
- We’ll protect you against multiple Taxation, NFVCB assures Lagos filmmakers
- Finance Bill signed into law favours common Nigerians- Lawyer
- Vandalism: NRC MD appreciates effort of police in protecting Railway property
- Environmentalist seeks measures to discourage air pollution
- See your businesses as sustainable, not mere hustling, Expert advises entrepreneurs
- Germany ‘well-equipped’ to handle China virus, no cases so far
- Biosafety agency calls for collaboration from stakeholders on National Biosecurity Policy
- Farmer harps on value chain of pigs, urges more research into benefits
- Lassa fever: Medical doctor canvasses cat-keeping
- FOU Zone B of NCS seized goods worth N400m in January – official
- Akeredolu seeks more synergy among agencies to tackle insecurity
- Buhari meets EU Commissioner, assures an end to conflicts in Northeast
- Lassa fever: 76 persons test positive in Edo