Connect with us

Health

NGO trains students on emergency response

Published

on

A Non-Governmental Organisation, Project LEAD, has trained secondary school prefects on medical emergency response to enhance safety in the society.

Amaka Amalu, Founder, Project LEAD, during the Safety and Emergency training for students on Monday in Lagos, said the training was to teach students practical steps to preserve lives before seeking proper medical care.

Amalu said that research had shown that many recorded deaths in Nigeria could have been avoided if there was someone around to carry out Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or any other first aid procedure.

“This is obtainable in developed countries where even infants know and understand the use of the emergency call centre and this has led to a huge reduction in the mortality rate in those regions, unlike what we have here in Nigeria.

“Our aim is to build the prefects’ capacity toward increasing emergency response capability, both in their schools, homes and the society at large,’’ she said.

Amalu said that the NGO partnered with the Red Cross Society and Rescue Technologies Ltd., a company that provides subscribers with access to emergency response services through their EMRO platform (a mobile and web application).

According to her, the vision of Project Lead is to teach and help secondary school prefects discover their potential for future leadership role.

Also, Mr Jude Akuechiama, Medical Operations Coordinator, Rescue Technologies Ltd, said that the 3Ps of First Aid was to Preserve lives, Prevent further injury and Promote recovery.

Akuechiama said that the training addressed issues around emergency and disaster preparedness, prevention, mitigation, recovery and relief, use and administration of First Aid devices and products.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that schools that benefited from the training were: New Era Girls Senior Secondary School, Herbert Macaulay Girls’ Senior Secondary School and Ideal Girls’ Senior High School. (NAN)


AIO/AJA

Edited by Adeleye Ajayi

Health

Cititrust donates N1m to NGO to combat COVID-19

Published

on

Cititrust Holdings on Tuesday donated N1 million to Health Emergency Initiative (HEI), an NGO, to procure Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for health workers.

Presenting the cheque, Mr Yemi Adefisan, Group Chief Executive of the Company, said that the donation was their own quota and support towards fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

Adefisan said that the company operates across 13 African countries and still expanding its frontiers in the globe.

He said that they had made donations in other Africans countries as well as in Lagos and Osun states as the company would continue to donate food, materials and PPE to state governments.

“Today is a cash donation to HEI for PPE for health workers, which is part of what we have planned to do.

“We hoped that the equipment will get down to the right people to help support the vulnerable and those affected by the pandemic,’’ he said.

Receiving the cash donation, Mr Paschal Achunine, Executive Director, HEI said that his NGO recognized that timely provision of PPE was critical to winning the war against COVID-19.

“If you check across the globe, in most places where the pandemic killed a lot of people, it happened because they don’t have enough PPE or it was not timely provided.

HEI embarked on setting up of an emergency trust fund, purchased and distributed to organisation in Nigeria.

“With the fund provided by Cititrust Holdings, who saw and verify what we have done is to get PPE across to the critical ones that need them.

“We have been working with hospitals in the last five years and we know their touch points, every kobo committed to us, gets maximum value,” he said.

Achunine said that HEI has been consistent in 27 hospitals in Lagos including LUTH, LASUTH and IDH, Yaba.

He said that his NGO had been providing support and resuscitation for indigent patients and accident victims when taken to the hospital.

“The resources are limited and challenges are there but l urge companies and individuals to key into the emergency trust fund and appeal to the masses to take precautions, stay alive as the landscape has changed,’’ he said.


Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Parliamentary election campaign begins in Mongolia

Published

on

By

Campaigning for Mongolia‘s parliamentary elections began Tuesday after the country’s election commission approved a list of qualified candidates.

A total of 485 candidates from 13 political parties and four coalitions as well as 121 independent candidates are running for the upcoming parliamentary elections scheduled for June 24, the GEC said in a statement.

The commission said 75 percent of the candidates are male and 25 percent are female.

Mongolia’s parliament, the State Great Khural, is unicameral, consisting of 76 lawmakers with a four-year term.

The previous parliamentary elections in Mongolia were held in 2016.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

1st LD: New Ebola outbreak reported in northwest DR Congo

Published

on

By

A fresh outbreak of the Ebola virus disease was declared on Monday by Congolese Minister of Health Eteni Longondo in the city of Mbandaka, in Equateur Province in northwestern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo).

“The samples taken in Mbandaka and sent to the National Institute of Biomedical Research in Kinshasa were positive,” said the health minister during a press conference in Kinshasa.

According to Eteni Longondo, the heads of the National Institute of Biomedical Research in Kinshasa confirmed on Monday the result of the test taken from the patients on the spot in the town of Mbandaka.

A few days ago, the authorities of the city of Mbandaka in Equator Province alerted at least four cases of suspicious deaths in the same health zone of Mbandaka.

For health authorities in Kinshasa, the Ebola response team is already in place at the provincial level and another team will be deployed from Kinshasa to strengthen the response.

The announcement comes as health authorities started a countdown to declare the end of the tenth Ebola epidemic that has plagued the east part of the country since 2018, which has left more than three thousand people contaminated and 2,280 people dead.

According to WHO Secretary-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has confirmed six cases, including four already dead by his Twitter account, WHO already has its teams on scene to support the fight against the epidemic.

The tenth epidemic has been the deadliest in the history of the country since the discovery of the first Ebola epidemic around 1977 in the province of Bandundu.

The government was planning to announce the country Ebola free on June 25, but with new cases resurfacing, the country has to continue fighting it, media reports said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

New Ebola outbreak declared in northwest DR Congo

Published

on

By

An eleventh outbreak of the Ebola virus disease was declared on Monday by Congolese Minister of Health Eteni Longondo in the city of Mbandaka, in Equateur Province in northwestern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo).

“The samples taken in Mbandaka and sent to the National Institute of Biomedical Research in Kinshasa were positive,” said the health minister during a press conference in Kinshasa.

According to Eteni Longondo, the heads of the National Institute of Biomedical Research in Kinshasa confirmed on Monday the result of the test taken from the patients on the spot in the town of Mbandaka.

A few days ago, the authorities of the city of Mbandaka in Equator Province alerted at least four cases of suspicious deaths in the same health zone of Mbandaka.

For health authorities in Kinshasa, the Ebola response team is already in place at the provincial level and another team will be deployed from Kinshasa to strengthen the response.

The announcement comes as health authorities started a countdown to declare the end of the tenth Ebola epidemic that has plagued the east part of the country since 2018, which has left more than three thousand people contaminated and two thousand people dead.

According to WHO Secretary-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has confirmed six cases, including four already dead by his Twitter account, WHO already has its teams on scene to support the fight against the epidemic.

The tenth epidemic has been the deadliest in the history of the country since the discovery of the first Ebola epidemic around 1977 in the province of Bandundu.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Health

Immunisation ongoing in Kwara inspite of COVID-19-Official

Published

on

The Kwara Government on Monday, advised residents  to take their children for immunisation against child killer diseases, saying routine immunisation was still ongoing inspite of COVID-19.

Dr Michael Oguntoye,  the Director, Primary Health Care System in the state Ministry of Health, gave the advice in Ilorin during a sensitisation meeting on measles campaign.

“All health facilities are open during this period of COVID- 19 and routine immunisation services will be rendered.

“Immunisation is a core health device that should be prioritised for the prevention of communicable disease and safeguarded for continuity during the COVID- 19 pandemic and other pandemics for that matter where feasible, ” he said.

According to him, immunisation delivery strategies may need to be adapted and should be conducted under safe conditions without undue harm to health workers, caregivers and the community.

Oguntoye observed that there was risk of disruption to routine immunisation and other primary Healthcare activities due to the  COVID- 19-related burden on the health system.

He added that there was decreased demand for vaccination because of social distancing requirements or community reluctance to visit health facilities for fear of the disease.

Oguntoye warned that disruption of immunisation services, even for brief periods, would result in increased numbers of susceptible individuals and raise the likelihood of outbreaks prone vaccine preventable disease (VPD) such as measles.

He noted that such outbreaks due to low vaccine uptake might  result in increased rate of illnesses and deaths,  especially among young infants and other vulnerable groups.

“As a result, the Kwara government in conjunction with UNICEF is creating awareness among the population that immunisation and other Primary Health Care (PHC) services are still available in our centres and other health care facilities,” he said.

Oguntoye said the health facilities in the state were already positioned to provide immunisation and other PHC services to clients in environments that were  safe for both the health workers and clients.

Also speaking at the meeting, Dr Marion Adekeye, the State Nutrition Officer, Kwara State Primary Healthcare Development Agency,  explained that Vaccine Preventable Diseases (VPDs) were those that could  be prevented by immunisation.

She listed some of these child killer diseases to include Tuberculosis, Poliomyelitis, Hepatitis B, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus, Haemophilus and Influenza among others.

Adekeye blamed those who got afflicted or died from the diseases on the inaction of parents to ensure they were  immunised.

According to the expert , refusing immunisation destroys lives as this might result in incidence of abandoned children or disability.

Dr Dupe Shittu, the Social Mobilisation Officer for Kwara State Primary Healthcare Development Agency, said health facilities in the state were in optimal condition.

(
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Mufutau Ojo (NAN)
)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Mongolian PM calls for synergizing efforts for child protection

Published

on

By

Mongolian Prime Minister Ukhnaa Khurelsukh on Monday called on his citizens and all public and private organizations in the country to improve protection for children.

“Since 2017, the Mongolian government has tripled the number of organizations responsible for providing child protection services and increased the costs of child protection in stages. However, there is still a need to improve child protection efforts,” Khurelsukh said in his greetings on the occasion of the International Children’s Day.

“Therefore, all people, public and private organizations in the country need to work together to synergize their efforts to further improve child protective services,” the prime minister said.

Children up to the age of 18 accounted for 35.4 percent of the country’s 3.2 million people by the end of 2019, according to the National Statistics Office of Mongolia.

Mongolia began marking International Children’s Day as an official public holiday in 1996, and celebrates it on June 1.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the country has not widely celebrated International Children’s Day nor organized public activities this year.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Mongolia to establish another int’l children’s camp

Published

on

By

Mongolia has decided to establish a second international children’s camp, the country’s Minister of Labor and Social Protection Sodnom Chinzorig said on Monday.

“The government made a decision to establish another children’s camp called ‘Nairamdal 2’ in Khuvsgul Lake National Park in the northern Mongolian province of Khuvsgul in near future. The camp will have a capacity to welcome 500 children per shift,” Chinzorig told a press conference.

Currently, there is only one international children’s camp in Mongolia. Built more than 40 years ago, the Nairamdal camp is located near the country’s capital Ulan Bator.

Nairamdal means “friendship” in the Mongolian language.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Africa’s anti-COVID-19 war hampered by misinformation, stigma, NGO

Published

on

The war against COVID-19 in Africa is being derailed by widespread misinformation and stigma targeting victims and their families, Save the Children, an international charity said on Monday.

Assessments carried out by Save the Children in several African countries in April have revealed rampant myths and misinformation regarding the viral respiratory disease, which placed bottlenecks towards its containment in the continent.

“Misinformation and myths about COVID-19 could delay the introduction, uptake of measures designed to slow and mitigate the spread of the disease,’’ said Eric Hazard, Save the Children’s Pan-African Campaign and Policy Director .

Hazard added that it could spread faster, moving silently and hidden in communities.

The assessments that were conducted in Somalia, Zambia and Tanzania indicated widespread prejudice against people infected by COVID-19 alongside frontline healthcare workers and Diaspora communities.

Almost 42 per cent of 3,000 people surveyed in Somalia said they believed COVID-19 was generated by the government while 27 per cent felt it was fuelling hostility against specific minority groups.

An assessment of 121 people in Tanzania revealed that almost 86 per cent of them were of the view that the disease generated stigma against particular ethnic or racial groups.

The rapid survey on 400 people in Zambia found that while 57 per cent had an accurate understanding of how COVID-19 is contracted, 69 per cent wrongly believed that brushing teeth prevented the disease.

Meanwhile, an additional 43 per cent were of the view that drinking alcohol could keep the virus at bay.

“When communities receive the wrong information about an illness, it creates fear, in this case of others, and fear can lead to stigma, isolation, poorer health outcomes on individual and societal levels, and in some cases, violence,’’ Hazard said.

He said that children whose relatives contracted and recovered from COVID-19 and those from minority groups were more vulnerable to stigma and discrimination.


Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

News Analysis: Israel, Iran reportedly trade cyber-blows as part of ongoing tensions

Published

on

By

Media outlets reported on Monday that in a recent thwarted Iranian cyber-attack on Israeli water systems, there was an attempt to change the chlorine levels in the water, putting hundreds of Israelis at risk.

The latest reports come after weeks of suggestions that Israel and Iran have traded several blows in cyberspace. While the Iranian officials have denied the allegations, Yigal Unna, director general of the National Cyber Directorate in Israel was quoted as saying that May was the “turning point in the history of modern cyber warfare.”

An alleged Israeli retaliation to the attack also came a few weeks ago. Reports said that computers in a key Iranian port were paralyzed by a major cyber offensive, causing major disruption to naval traffic.

“This is already hard-core cyber warfare, where you create actual physical damage as a result of disrupting computer systems which control physical systems of our lives,” said Tal Pavel, head of Cyber Security Studies at the Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yaffo.

While the supposed Iranian attack did not cause any damage in Israel, reports from Iran suggested that the Shahid Rajaee port terminal in the southern Iranian city of Bandar Abbas took days to resume normal activity.

“The Israeli response is really out of the ordinary,” Pavel told Xinhua about Unna’s public comments. “This is really crossing a line. But Israel apparently wanted it to be known that it was behind the attack.”

Israel and Iran are arch-rivals that have been engaged in various levels of war-fare for decades. There is always concern that the tit-for-tat attacks will spill over into a wider conflict that will engulf the entire region.

Israel has launched hundreds of airstrikes against Iranian targets in Syria in recent years. Increasingly, cyberspace has also become a battlefield. In a widely reported incident years ago, Israel, together with the United States, is believed to be behind a computer worm that was unleashed on the Iranian nuclear program computer system. The Iranian uranium enrichment facility’s activity was reportedly severely hampered by the mysterious computer virus.

The worm attack was a wake-up call for Iranian officials.

“In recent years Iran has invested a major effort in developing its cyber abilities after understanding the potential,” said Yossi Mansharof, a researcher in the Jerusalem Institute for Strategy and Security and the Ezri center for Iran.

Israel is considered a leading cyber security power. With a thriving hi-tech eco-system, the cybersecurity sector is a leading one in the country. While Iran has made great advances in its cyber capabilities, many experts in the field believe there is still a major gap in favor of Israel.

Yet, Israel is not immune to attacks.

“Being a cyber-power doesn’t only mean you have offensive capabilities, but also are capable of defending yourself from serious attacks on infrastructure,” Pavel added.

According to Mansharof, the conflict between Israel and Iran in Syria could well be transferred to cyberspace after years of armed conflict.

“Iran is well aware of its military inferiority vis-a-vis Israel and they prefer not to engage in a war but continue in attrition or use of proxies,” Mansharof said. “Israel is also largely alone against Iran and is not looking for a war.”

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also