The Proprietor of Blind Football in Nigeria, Ifeoma Atuegwu, says Nigeria is hosting the African Blind Football Championship to win the sole continental ticket for the 2020 Paralympic Games in Tokyo.
Atuegwu, who is the President of Bina Foundation Blind Football Academy, said that the outfit was recruiting the best blind footballers from every part of the country.
According to her, the academy has the mandate of the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports to produce both male and female blind national teams for the country.
Atuegwu said: “Since our male and female national football teams did not make it to the Olympics; there was a need for the country to make appearance using the blind football.
“I must appreciate the Ministry of Youth and Sports that has always encouraged the academy with technical support but the financial support presently comes from my family and friends of Bina Foundation’’.
Atuegwu declined to state how much it cost the foundation to organise the championship but expressed joy that it took off smoothly.
Nigeria News Agency reports that eight African countries are currently participating in the championship.
The countries include Morocco, the current African champions, Niger, Ivory Coast, Cameroon. Libya, Egypt, Mali and host, Nigeria.
Each of the teams had five players, plus the goalkeeper, and they are assisted to know the direction of play by the “talking ball’’.
The weeklong championship, which started on November 22, will end on December 2.
(Edited & Vetted By: Sam Oditah)
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti
- NIS rolls out enhanced E-passport in Lagos
- World Pensioners’ Day: Adamawa pensioners demand fair treatment by politicians
- NSE indices record first gain in December, up 0.19%
- NCAT begins training in Drones operation
- Kwara community donates N3m office, motorcycle to NSCDC
- Defence equipment: Buratai wants Chinese firms to establish production line in Nigeria
- How to end insecurity–Gov. Oyetola
- Pension scam: Maina’s sister, Fatima, distance self from coys, bank accounts linked to her
- Cleric advises Christians to imbibe Jesus Christ virtues as they celebrate Christmas
- Reps to intervene in planned strike by NUEE
- FEC approves N307.5m for NAFDAC operational vehicles
- Electricity workers shutdown IE, EKEDC offices
- Rape: Oxfam seeks specialised training for police, legal practitioners
- PDP releases timetable for Edo municipal, state congresses