The African Development Bank (AfDB) says Nigeria is making progress in rice production and processing.
Mr Ebrima FAAL, Senior Country Director of the bank, stated this while suggesting measures to be taken for quick economic recovery during an interview with Nigeria News Agency on Thursday.
FAAL said this achievement should be scaled up and broadened to other sectors and commodities.
“Economic diversification remains key to Nigeria’s inclusive growth and the productive structure of the economy is generally more diversified now than say 20 to 30 years ago”.
FAAL, however, noted that the production had shifted from oil to agriculture and manufacturing to services, mainly wholesale and retail trade, transport, real estate among others.
According to him, the problem is that most services are in the informal sector.
“Services sector can contribute to jobs creation but there is need for measures to improve productivity, especially through ICT enabled financial and other technology driven services,” he said.
The director said that growing non-oil revenues would insulate the economy from the cyclicality of oil revenues and create stability in government budget.
Edited By: Felix Ajide
- Tinubu commiserates with Telegraph Newspaper over Editor’s death
- COVID-19: Let’s put our trust in Allah to end pandemic – Ife Chief Imam
- Bayern Munich with one hand on league title after 1-0 win at Dortmund
- COVID-19: Ooni donates fumigator, cash to UCH Ibadan
- Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff
- Afghanistan begins freeing 900 Taliban prisoners, urges truce extension
- APA wants forensic examination of election materials in Enugu South LGA
- Leipzig Captain Poulsen out with ligament injury
- Global film festival aims to bridge coronavirus distances
- Real Madrid forward, Bale, questions critics of golf hobby
- Katsina Gov’t investigates causes of unusual rise in death rate
- LIRS further extends deadline for filing Annual Tax Returns to June 30
- Man United in talks with Ighalo’s club over Nigerian star’s future
- Kano Govt. clarifies on ongoing work at Sani Abatcha isolation centre
- Ondo 2020: No automatic ticket for Agboola — PDP
- Zoho offers guidance on right software for non technology companies
- Forensic Audit: NDDC 2019 budget was padded with over 500 fake projects – MD
- ACCI calls for stronger Nigeria-India economic relations
- UNECA encourages Africa to invest on digital transformation
- Sanwo-Olu commiserates with New Telegraph over editor’s death