The Federal Government has confirmed recording the first case of the new Coronavirus disease (COVID-19 in Lagos State.
The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, confirmed the development in a statement on Friday in Abuja.
Ehanire said the case, which was confirmed on Feb. 27, was the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020.
“The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy, to Lagos, Nigeria, on the 25th of February 2020.
“He was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network at the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
“The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos,’’ he said.
The minister assured that the Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health, had been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly.
The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its National Emergency Operations Centre.
He said NCDC would work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.
“I wish to assure all Nigerians that have we have been beefing up our preparedness capabilities since the first confirmation of cases in China, and we will use all the resources made available by the government to respond to this case.
“We have already started working to identify all the contacts of the patient, since he entered Nigeria.
“Please be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses,” the minister said.
Ehanire further advised all Nigerians to take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families, following the precautions below:
“Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
“Maintain at least 1.5 metres (5 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
“Persons with persistent cough or sneezing should stay home or keep a social distance but not mix in crowd.
“Make sure you and people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene, meaning cover your mouth and nose with a handkerchief or tissue or into your sleeve at the bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
“Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing,’’ he urged.
“Please call NCDC toll free number, which is available day and night, for guidance: 0800 970 0000-0010.
“Stay informed on the latest developments about COVlD-l9 through official channels on TV and Radio, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health.”
He further urged citizens not to abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that causes fear and panic.
“The Federal Ministry of Health through NCDC will continue to provide updates and will initiate all measures required to prevent the spread of any outbreak in Nigeria.
Edited By: Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- LASG moves to criminalize infrastructure vandalism
- Rose harvest in Syria
- Plexiglass protection Plex’Eat designed to protect diners from novel coronavirus at restaurant in Paris
- Coastal Erosion: LASG seeks N400 bn from FG
- NMA lays foundation for multi billion naira headquarters
- Chile sees 82,289 cases of COVID-19, 841 deaths
- NASA, SpaceX postpone historic astronauts launch for weather reason
- COVID-19 infections in California surpass 100,000
- Spotlight: European Commission proposes borrowing landmark recovery fund, in “Europe’s moment”
- Overseas visitors to Ireland down 99 pct in April due to pandemic
- Roundup: European Commission proposes 750-bln-euro recovery fund as countries count losses
- Cypriot president announces revised package to support economy after COVID-19 crisis
- U.S. COVID-19 deaths top 100,000 — Johns Hopkins University
- Kano Govt. offers free education to 1,000 repatriated Almajiri children
- Boeing resumes 737 MAX production
- Nigerian children want end to COVID-19, pay welfare attention
- Official institutions resume work in Palestine after lockdown due to coronavirus
- Feature: COVID-19 pandemic changes Americans’ spending habits
- Over 860,000 Brazilian jobs wiped out in April amid COVID-19 lockdown
- Urgent: U.S. COVID-19 deaths top 100,000 — Johns Hopkins University