The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Sabo Nanono, says with the phenomenal increase in rice production and processing in the country, Nigeria will be exporting the commodity in the next two years.
The minister stated this on Thursday in Kura, Kano state during an assessment tour of the impact of the border drill on the entire rice production value chain.
Nigeria News Agency reports Nanono, Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed led stakeholders and a team of journalists on inspection of cluster of cottage rice mills in Kura.
The team also visited four integrated rice mills in the state which are Al-Hamsad Rice, Kura Brothers Rice Mill, Tiamin Rice Ltd and Umza International Farms.
“The way and manner we are going in the production of rice, in the next two years, we will start exporting rice outside the country.
“For those that are worried about the partial close of our borders, we are not doing this to hurt the people but to protect the future of the country, provide jobs and food sufficiency.
“Government will continue to give support to rice farmers to achieve this goal,” he said.
The minister said that Kura is an agrarian settlement known for irrigation farming in rice, tomato, maize and others items, mostly consume in the Southern part of the country.
He said farmers in Kura had, however, concentrated on rice production following the border drill and the ban in rice importation.
Speaking in the same vein, Mohammed assured that the federal government would continue to support the stakeholder in the rice production value chain.
He however appealed to rice growers and millers not to see the loans given to them as their own “share of the national cake”.
“They must understand that when loans are not paid back, it will be difficult for them and others to get more loans,” he said.
Alhaji Ali Idris , Chairman Kura Rice Processing and Marketing Association called on the government to sustain the border closure, stressing that Nigeria has the capacity to feed itself and the neighbouring countries.
Idris, who spoke in Hausa language, said since the closure of the borders and the commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari to achieving self-sufficiency on food production, his people were fully back in business.
He disclosed that over 10,000 youths in Kura Local Government were gainfully employed in the rice production value chain and they produce about 5000 tones of rice every day.
He commended federal government for supporting them with modern machine and urged provision of polishers, de-stoners to further enhance their production.
Another miller, Adamu Habu called on government to sustain the border closure because of its impact on the economy.
He said more people were being employed in the rice production value chain and supporting the economy.
The President of Integrated Rice Millers Association in the state, Alhaji Mohammed Umza, said the border closure had impacted positively on rice industry nationwide and in particular, Kano state.
He said prior to the closure, the industry had been battling with foreign rice market forces which threatened its coexistence.
Umza said that the border closure had helped to transform rice value chain in Kano state and government should sustain it.
“Kano state, by virtue of its agrarian origin has provided a conducive atmosphere where rice milling activities thrives.
“The state has the largest concentration of integrated rice processing mills as well as clusters of cottage rice mills scattered across nearly all the local government in the state.
“Of the 35 registered integrated rice mills in Nigeria, about 12 are domicile in Kano and more are coming up, which makes Kano undoubtedly the capital of rice processing in Nigeria.
“An estimated 5000 metric tones of finished rice is turned out daily by the combined integrated mills and cottage mills in Kano.
“This is shared in the ratio of about 60 per cent from the cottage mills and 40 per cent from the integrated mills.
“Combined, the mills employ about 10,000 people either directly or indirectly,” he said.
Umza urged the federal government to sustain the good work of securing the borders and hence the economy.
He said, if the policy is sustained, the industry would continue to grow and provide food and employment to the rapidly growing and urban population.
- PDP National Chairman leads protest on Supreme Court judgment on Imo governorship election
- Nyako urges northerners to be determine to develop agric
- Ogun govt to key into revolving drug fund to reduce prices
- Fidelity Bank Promo: 2 customers become millionaires in Lagos
- UN official seeks sustained int’l support for Palestinians
- Nigerian clubside hires 2 Portuguese coaches
- Fire Service decries rising false fire alarms in Adamawa
- Alimosho General Hospital to accommodate more patients this year — Medical Director
- Thousands of students join Baghdad protests after overnight clashes
- Putin sends amendments to parliament to change presidential term limits
- Champion Djokovic digs deep to beat Struff in Melbourne opener
- Nsukka PDP apologises to Ugwuanyi over protest
- Labourer, 21, jailed 2 months for impersonation
- NIS gives entry requirements for non-Nigerian
- Iran not ruled out talks to end nuclear dispute, says official
- Trump to offer first detailed impeachment defence as pivotal week begins
- EU ministers consider relaunch of naval mission to protect Libya peace
- Supreme Court judgment: Zamfara APC felicitates with Gov. Ganduje
- LASTVEB official seeks to attract more females, vulnerable groups
- Court dissolves 22-year-old marriage over irreconcilable differences
- Nigeria seeks $890m to tackle HIV, TB, malaria
- Customs seizes 347g ivory products in east China port city
- Pope condemns ‘barbaric resurgence’ of anti-Semitism
- “Amotekun”, good idea but …. — Salvador
- Dry Season Farming: CBN, Gombe Govt. move to boost rice production
- Revenue: Nasarawa Govt cautions against illegal mining activities
- Aba residents in Diaspora call for attitudinal change to effectively fight crime
- Oil dealer docked over alleged N42m fraud
- UN condemns attack on humanitarian facility in Borno
- Bangladeshi policemen sentenced to death for 1988 rally massacre
- Czech Senate speaker Kubera dies
- Integrity in focus as NGO holds summit in Abuja
- CPC confiscates bags of adulterated sesame in Jigawa
- Mrs Oyetola vows to eradicate Female Genital Mutilation in Osun
- UN condemns attack on humanitarian accommodation in Borno
- Alleged $9.5m FIFA Grant : Court fixes Feb. 20 for ruling on joining Pinnick, Sanusi
- Residents laud Okowa’s ongoing rehabilitation work on DLA, Asaba roads
- Israel launches young entrepreneurs programme
- Under-19 ICC World Cup: Australia defeat Nigeria in group opening match
- Nutrition: NGO takes value awareness campaign to FCT area councils
- Police arraign 3 for allegedly stealing employer’s fish worth N200,000
- Amotekun will help in community policing – – Rep member
- Heavy rains kill 4, destroy infrastructure in southern Mozambique
- Don tasks associations on project development in communities
- Plateau Governor’s wife launches maternal week, donates delivery kits to pregnant women
- Imo governorship: Ex-legislator says call to reverse Supreme Court judgment baseless
- Court remands 4 truck drivers for allegedly selling customer’s goods
- Zambian leader reaffirms commitment to grow small,medium enterprises
- Pay attention to your health, Unilorin advises new students
- Rape: Association recommends girl-child education as solution
- 3-hour documentary on Oshiomhole’s `dark side’ out Jan. 30, says Ex-speaker
- SON pledges to ensure products in Anambra meet standard quality
- Lagos Theatre Festival to create platform for young artistes, organisers say
- 8 countries back European-led naval mission in Strait of Hormuz, says French ministry
- Int’l fair of Khartoum kicks off with participation of 25 countries
- Kwara waste management workers protest over non-payment of three-month salaries
- Teenager in court over alleged theft of N28,000
- Banditry: Lawmaker appeals to Buhari to beam searchlight on 3 LGAs of Niger
- Kiki Mordi, Fisayo Soyombo win 2019 Gatefield’s Journalism award
- Don’t disappoint management, Lagos Sector Commander tells promoted officers
- Court sentences man to 1 month in prison for stealing laptop
- BESDA distributes writing materials to 49,000 Almajiris in 501 Quranic schools in Kebbi
- 2020 NSF: Athletes to arrive for S/West zonal elimination Jan. 21 – Oshodi
- Court remands 2 for alleged possession of firearms
- How I started making money from ‘hungry rice’-Agropreneur
- Cyclist, coach lament lack of competitions
- Zamfara plans new stadium to boost sports development
- President Xi orders resolute efforts to curb virus spread
- Insecurity: Nigerian Army more resolute than ever – Buratai reassures
- Lagos working to improve teaching – SUBEB
- Farmers want Yobe Govt to focus on Sesame seeds, wheat production
- Gov. Sanwo-Olu appoints five new permanent secretaries
- Ex-Gov. Aliyu tasks north on girl-child education for faster growth
- Red Cross urges voluntary blood donation to save more lives
- Sri Lanka to implement laws to attract foreign investments
- Nepal searches for S/Korean, Nepalese trekkers missing in Himalayas
- UK issues commemorative coin celebrating rock band Queen
- I still love my wife, do not grant her divorce – Civil servant begs court
- IMF revises down global growth outlook, but sees lower risks
- Tight security as Supreme Court delivers judgment on Kano, Sokoto, others
- Burna Boy `My Money’ ‘My Baby’ place 4th in Michelle Obama’s playlist for 2020
- NDLEA arrests 401 suspects, seizes 281.64kg illicit drugs in Jigawa
- Abia Govt. to support NDLEA to reduce drug dependence
- NPA donates furniture to Primary school in Kaduna
- Nigeria, Uganda sign MoU on insurance training, examination, research
- Foundation urges Nigerians to take advantage of free skills acquisition training
- KDSG records 3,119 new TB cases — Official
- BBC chief to step down amid funding debate
- NNPC boss visits Lagos pipeline explosion scene
- Norway finance minister quits over IS woman’s return from Syria
- Paintings stolen in 1979 art heist back in east German museum
- Environmentalist calls for adoption of green technology to curb climate change impacts
- NCS tasks govt. on cyber stability
- EFCC arrests 89 suspected ‘Yahoo-Boys’ in Ibadan night club
- Sustaining fight against irregular migration via international cooperation
- Nigeria, France sign Cooperation Agreement on film production
- Teenager in court for allegedly stealing pineapples worth N310, 000
- Court remands 2 employees over stealing of N536,000
- 16 ships with petroleum products, food items expected — NPA
- Court okays dismissal of KWASU staff over gross misconduct, falsification of results
- Zambia seeks increased trade ties with UK
- 2020: NAHCON pledges hitch-free hajj, accessible accommodation for pilgrims
- Dearth of facilities, under-diagnosis affecting radiodiagnosis in Nigeria, says radiologist
- Gov. Ganduje extends hands of fellowship to opposition
- P&ID Scandal: Court adjourns untill Jan. 21 for trial of Briton
- Housekeeper, driver in court for allegedly stealing $8,400
- Accept Supreme Court ruling in good faith, Kano Commissioner tells PDP
- Palm oil prices seen to stay high in H1
- NABDA urges farmers to embrace GMOs, technology-driven crops
- Iran threatens to leave NPT if nuke case sent to UN Security Council
- Court sentences 5 ex-cops to death over assassination of Bangladeshi PM
- Surety lands in court for alleged failure to produce defendant
- 2 teenagers, 26-year-old woman docked for allegedly stealing underwear
- Abia Govt pledges readiness to reduce drug dependence among youth
- FRSC decorates 24 newly promoted officers in Badagry
- Court remands 3 unemployed men in custodial centre over an alleged robbery
- Police arraign sales rep. over alleged negligent conduct
- Pipeline explosion claims 5 lives including 5 year-old baby- LASEMA
- Outcry in Pakistan as lawyers’ group asks members to declare faith
- My wife is fetish, divorce-seeking husband tells court
- Supreme Court verdict: PDP urges Kano supporters to remain calm
- UN urges reform amid escalation in anti-gov’t protests in Iraq
- Court remands car wash operator for allegedly stealing customer’s car
- Security beefed up in Kano after Supreme Court affirms Gov. Ganduje
- PenCom directs PFAs to implement pension enhancement for retirees under contributory scheme
- Man, 29, dragged to court for allegedly being in possession of hemp
- Asia shares camp on high ground
- Varsity offers posthumous award to late Umaru Shinkafi
- Give back to society, Mrs Makinde urges wealthy Nigerians
- NDLEA charges apprentice with 1.1kg drug deal
- FRSC recorded 80% drop in road crashes in Bayelsa in 2019 – official
- Woman in court for allegedly beating up neighbour over unpaid electricity bills
- Harmattan: Group distributes cardigans to vulnerable children in Maiduguri
- Expert set to establish cotton ginnery in Ekiti community
- Judgment: Sokoto residents celebrate Tambuwal’s victory
- Iran has not ruled out talks to end nuclear dispute, says official
- Okpotu hints at ending football career back home
- German court to sentence fake doctor who made women shock themselves via Skype
- Katsina Govt to construct 360 health clinics
- Cyber Crime: EFCC arraigns Man, 34, for alleged fraud of $1200 in Osun
- Rust-free Federer launches Melbourne campaign with sublime win
- Federal varsity Lafia to unveil multidisciplinary lab on Saturday
- Fire razes shops in Kano market, one escapes death
- EU must consider ways to support Libya truce – Borrell
- Malta minister quits over husband’s links to murder suspect
- Kano calm as Supreme Court reaffirms Ganduje’s re-election -NAN
- Man,25,docked for allegedly stealing phone in Ogun
- World’s richest 2,000 people hold more than poorest 4.6 billion combined – Oxfam
- Extortion: 25 LASTMA officers punished in 3 months – GM
- Group to build Old People’s Centre in Suleja
- Army man goes on trial in Germany for allegedly spying for Iran
- Australia’s platypus on brink of extinction, scientists say
- Dozens of Iraqi protesters wounded as anti-government unrest resumes
- Three dead, 28 injured in Bida-Kutigi auto crash – FRSC
- Double registration: Court strikes out Natasha Akpoti’s suit against Gov. Bello
- Killing of military men: Bayelsa LG Chairman urges restraint in manhunt for culprits
- Igali praises Team Nigeria’s performance at Rome’s tournament
- Police repel bandit attack on Malfa village in Niger, says CP
- Man,19, in court for allegedly stealing N158,000, sim card
- Over 100 schools in Moscow being checked for bombs
- Breaking: Supreme Court upholds Tambuwal’s election
- Death toll in Indonesian flash flood rises to nine
- Cotton Association wants FG to re-introduce Nigeria Cotton Standard
- Philippines struggles to keep evacuees away from volcano
- Breaking: Supreme Court upholds election of Abdullahi Ganduje as Governor of Kano State
- China reports sharp rise in cases of new lung disease
- World leaders, CEOs, celebrities arrive Davos for WEF
- KEDCO losses N52bn revenue in 2019 – MD
- Gov. Makinde says inter-agency security collaboration has boosted security in Oyo state
- 2 bodies recovered from scene of fresh Lagos pipeline explosion -NEMA
- Land owners protest over inadequate compensation in Nasarawa
- Liverpool move 16 points clear after beating Manchester United
- Abia, Anambra PDP protest Supreme Court’s verdict on Ihedioha
- Sokoto communities organise special prayers ahead of Supreme Court judgment
- Go make us proud at NSF 2020 Zonal Prelims in Kwara, Nasarawa charges 160-member contingent
- Kwara holds welcome service in honour of Jerusalem pilgrims
- Presidency explains Finance Act 2019
- TCN working assiduously to repair damaged equipment in Maiduguri
- Tanzania connects 5 regions to natural gas
- Gov. AbdulRazaq says study of history key to national development
- 3-year-old Ibadan Chieftaincy crisis finally resolved – Olubadan
- Nigeria to assist Equatorial Guinea in modular refineries’ development
- Group plans to mobilise South-East people into APC mainstream politics
- Makinde, others visit late Lekan Are’s family in Ibadan
- NPFL: Kano Pillars beat Akwa United 2-0
- NPFL: Rangers humbles Abia Warriors 3-1 to climbs out of relegation
- Banditry: Minister to partner Zamfara govt. to support victims
- NPFL Round 16: Plateau United trashes Adamawa United 5-0
- Stakeholders condemn setting Nsukka PDP office on fire
- Police debunks media report on death of 30, abduction of 100 in Kaduna
- Music Review: Lil Kesh’s ‘ Kowope’ battles shallow lyrics
- Buhari makes case for a Commonwealth “based on trade”
- EPL: Burnley fight back to sink Leicester City
- Team Nigeria wins 11 medals at African Track Championship
- Minister seeks Private Sector’s collaboration on Methanol fuel production
- Olubadan mourns renowned industrialist, Are
- Westwood wins 25th European Tour title
- Buhari condoles with family of Lekan Are
- Economists speak on expectations ahead of MPC meeting
- FRSC confirms 3 dead, 1 injured as vehicle rams into tricycle in Onitsha