The contingent of the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) have emerged victorious in the recent international sporting events in South Africa and Republic of Guinea.
The Acting Director of Defence Information, Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.
Nwachukwu disclosed that the Nigerian military contingent emerged winners of the recently concluded Military Skills Competition in Potchefstroom, South Africa.
He added that they also clinched 3rd position at the maiden edition of the International Military Sports Council – West African Liaison Office (CISM – WALO) Boxing Championship held in Conakry, Guinea.
“In the Military Skills Competition held in South Africa, the AFN participants comprising male and female personnel from the Nigerian Army, Navy and the Airforce bagged a total of six Gold, four Silver and one Bronze medals.
“The team also carted away the award for best participating country at the event.
“During the military sporting events, the AFN emerged first, second and third positions in both the male and female categories of the 8 km combat race.
“In the Obstacle Crossing event, the team also emerged 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions, while in Combat swimming (Male category), the team took the 1st and 3rd positions, as well as 1st and 2nd positions in the female category.
“At the WALO – CISM Boxing championship in Conakry, AFN Boxing team won a total of six Silver and four bronze medals to clinched 3rd position, queuing behind Guinea and Cote D’Ivoire teams who emerged first and second positions,” he said.
Defence spokesperson said that the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin had commended the team for their outstanding performance and conduct at the international event, describing them as worthy ambassadors of the AFN and the nation.
According to him, the AFN under the current leadership had leveraged on sporting activities as a veritable tool and rallying point to foster unity and synergy among security agencies in Nigeria and the ECOWAS region.
He added that this was part of efforts to foster peace and security in Nigeria and the west African Sub region.
“Notable among the sporting events so far organised and sponsored by the DHQ are the Chief of Defence Staff, Armed Forces and Security Agencies Half Marathon Championship, the CISM Day Run and Security Agencies Route Match,” he said.
Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz
NIS clarifies visa on arrival for Africans
The Comptroller General, Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Muhammed Babandede, on Friday said the visa on arrival for holders of passports of African countries from January 2020 was to accelerate African Integration.
Babandede, who disclosed this in a statement by Mr Sunday James, the service Public Relations Officer, in Abuja said the decision would remove barriers hindering free movement of people within the continent.
“Nigeria’s strategic decision is taken to bring down barriers that have hindered free movement of our people within the continent by introducing the visa at the point of entry into Nigeria with effect from January 2020,” he said.
Babandede assured Nigerians of the service’s commitment to high professionalism in delivering its services without compromising National Security.
Nigeria News Agency reports that Babandede had on Dec. 11 announced the Federal Government decision to allow Africans into Nigeria without Visa from January 2020.
Edited by: Chidinma Agu/Ismail Abdulaziz
Police arrest 21 suspects for kidnapping, robbery in C/River
Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Nkereuwem Akpan, who paraded the suspects on Friday at the State Police Command in Calabar, said they were arrested from different parts of the state.
Akpan explained that four of the suspects were arrested for kidnapping, eight for armed robbery, four for unlawful possession of firearms, four for cultism and one for firearm manufacturing.
He said that on assumption of office three weeks ago, he read riot act to all suspected criminals across the state to have a change of mind over crime or be arrested and prosecuted.
“The four suspects of kidnapping were arrested at various locations based on a tip off. The suspects confessed to the crime and will be charged to court as soon as investigation is completed.
“Also, the arm manufacturing suspect was arrested by a team of detectives attached to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department.
“During the raid in his house in Calabar South, eight single barrels locally made pistol and one fabricated locally made berretta pistol were recovered,” he said.
The Commissioner also said that the suspected cultists were arrested for unlawful possession of firearms, adding that two locally made pistols with two live cartridges were recovered from them.
For the Christmas season, he warned those with intentions to commit crime to desist from it, saying that the police would not spare anyone involved in any form of illegality.
He, however, solicited for useful and timely information from members of the public to help the command respond to cases of emergency promptly.
Edited by: Ismail Abdulaziz
Yuletide: Police ban use of fireworks in Ondo
The Ondo State Police Command has banned the use of fireworks such as bangers, knockout and other explosives during this Yuletide.
This is contained in a statement signed by Mr Femi Joseph, the Command’s Public Relations Officer(PPRO), on Friday in Akure.
“Parents and guardians are advised to warn their children and wards from using such fireworks under the guise of celebrating the Yuletide as criminals often use this opportunity to commit havoc.
“Similarly, those who engage in the sales of these items are also warned to desist from such business as buyers, users and sellers are all culpable under the law,” Joseph said.
According to him, the police command is also assuring law abiding citizens of the state of adequate protection before, during and after the Yuletide.
Edited by: tayo Ikujuni/Tukur Muntari.
25 persons burnt to death in Bauchi auto crash
The police in Bauchi said on Thursday that 25 persons were burnt to death in an auto crash along Bauchi- Ningi Road in Bauchi State.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the command, DSP Abubakar Kamal, made this known in a statements in Bauchi.
Kamal said the accident occurred, which occurred in the early hours of Thursday, involved two vehicles; a Peugeot J5 Bus and a Toyota 18-seater Hummer bus.
The Toyota bus was conveying 22 passengers while the J5 bus was carrying 20 cows and four passengers.
He said that all the 26 passengers from the two vehicles sustained serious burns.
“The victims were immediately evacuated from the scene by security agents with assistance of good samaritans to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH), Bauchi for treatment.
“Unfortunately, on reaching the hospital, 25 passengers were confirmed dead by the Chief Medical Director, Dr Mohammed Alkali, while one survived and is receiving treatments.
“Investigation has revealed that all the passengers inside the Toyota Hummer bus took off from Dutsinma in Katsina State on their way to Adamawa State while the passengers inside the J5 bus were from Bauchi going to Kano State,” Kamal said.
He said that four corpses from the J5 bus were immediately identified by their families and released for burial while the remaining 21 corpses inside the Toyota Hummer bus are yet to be claimed.
The PPRO, therefore, called on members of the public whose family members left Katsina for Yola on Thursday and were still unable to reach them to check at the ATBUTH.
Edited by: Josephine Obute/Ismail Abdulaziz
Abia CP confirms killing of fruit vendor in Umuahia
The Abia police command has confirmed the death of one Miss Kasarachi Okwuonu, a fruit vendor, who was reportedly hit by a “stray bullet” during a crossfire between the police and alleged armed bandits at Apumiri, the headquarters of Umuahia south council area.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Ene Okon, told newsmen in Umuahia that he was briefed about the incident by the head of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) upon his return from Abuja.
He said that the incident happened on Wednesday night, when a team from SARS that responded to a distress call concerning a robbery reportedly engaged the suspects in a gun battle.
He said that the gunmen, numbering five and in army camouflage, were operating in the area, using a Toyota RAV4 .
“On sighting the SARS team, the gang opened fire and SARS operatives exchanged fire with the robbers.
“In the exchange of fire, a stray bullet hit the victim, who was rushed to a nearby hospital, where she was later confirmed dead.”
Okon dismissed speculations that the deceased was either shot directly or killed by accidental discharge.
He said, “There was nothing like accidental discharge or direct firing at the victim.”
He said that the Toyota Sienna van used by the SARS operatives was riddled with bullets from the hoodlums.
However, an eyewitness account said that there was no case of robbery in the area as alleged by the police.
He said that the incident occurred around 10 pm, when SARS operatives were on their routine patrol of the area.
He alleged that the operatives were in the habit of harassing and arresting commercial motorcyclists in the area once it became late.
He further said that those arrested and detained were usually made to pay as much as between N30,000 and N50,000 for their bail.
The eyewitness said that it was during an encounter between the SARS men and motorcyclists that one of them pulled the trigger that shot and killed Kasarachi.
“There was no robbery in this place at all. We saw what happened and we can identify the policeman who pulled the trigger,” he said on the condition of anonymity.
It was further learnt that the decessed was hit by the bullet while returning from a filling station, where she had gone to pack her wares at the end of the day’s business.
The decessed was described as the breadwinner of her family.
Meanwhile, the police commissioner said that he had set up a panel from the State Criminal Investigation Department to investigate the circumstances that led to the death.
Nigeria News Agency reports that youths of Mgbarakuma Ubakala, where the deceased hailed from, took to the streets on Thursday to protest what they termed the “cold-blooded murder” of their sister.
(Edited by: Sam Oditah)
- Maize farmers seek support on infrastructure, storage facilities
- NGO calls for a youth-centred drug policy
- UNESCO inscribes Kwagh-Hir theatrical performance on representative list
- NIS clarifies visa on arrival for Africans
- Lawmaker seeks CDAs support to enhance security
- Why APC forum will continue to support Oshiomhole, Osun APC Chairman
- APC Rally: Edo govt insists no rally or gathering must hold
- Liverpool manager Klopp extends contract to 2024
- Job applicant remanded for allegedly robbing with toy gun
- Police arrest 21 suspects for kidnapping, robbery in C/River
- Yuletide: Police ban use of fireworks in Ondo
- NYSC partners FRSC to protect corps members
- Edo Police Command arrests 50 suspects
- New Zealand: Rescue team recovers 6 bodies from volcanic island
- Driver remanded for allegedly raping landlord’s 16-year-old daughter
- HIV: NGO to capture, place 22,000 persons on drugs in Nasarawa
- 3 docked for allegedly stealing N1.4m inverter batteries
- Man, 26, faces trial for alleged house-breaking, stealing in Ibadan
- Anambra FRSC warns tricycle operators against plying highways
- Oyo govt. to support UNICEF on advocacy, enlightenment
- GBV: Older persons are being raped too – Sen. Ajoku
- Unemployed arraigned over alleged illegal possession of firearms
- Alleged treasonable felony: AGF takes over Sowore’s case
- Security guard docked for allegedly absconding with employer’s N2.5m valuables
- Nigerians detained in Bosnian camps will return safely – NIDCOM boss
- AIDS: PEPFAR advocates change of narrative in perception
- Woods to sit out Saturday fourballs at Presidents Cup
- Algeria awaits results of post-Bouteflika presidential elections
- 2 docked for allegedly stealing goods worth N800,000
- Russian TV pulls Ukrainian leader Zelensky’s show after one evening
- 2 charged with managing cult group
- 2 arraigned over alleged N13 million fraud against Haier Thermocool
- FCT Minister calls for integration, unity among African oil producers
- More than 200 firearms surrendered after amnesty launched in S. Africa
- Bricklayer risks one year jail term for allegedly punching neighbour’s mouth
- S. African mining sector calls for urgent action on electricity shortage
- Standard Bank launches UnionPay card to provide convenience for travellers
- Film corporation trains 120 youths on entrepreneurship skills in Ekiti
- 25-year-old driver arraigned over alleged motorcycle theft
- Edo PDP rejects “high fees’’ to purchase forms
- British election, U.S.-China trade hopes drive markets higher
- Indian president assents to controversial citizenship law
- Teenager charged with unlawful possession of dangerous weapons
- African Track Championship: 5 cyclists depart Nigeria for Cape Town training
- Turkey’s former PM launches Future Party in challenge to Erdogan
- Japanese prime minister, Abe’s India visit postponed amid violent protests
- Woman, 38, docked over alleged N19.4m fraud
- Legal Aid Council concludes 32 cases in 2 months in Kano
- Competition and Consumer Protection Commission meets stakeholders in Lagos
- Court sentences unemployed without fine option for beating up mother