In a congratulatory message signed by him and addressed to the Managing Director of the newspaper, Mr Edward Dickson, Tinubu congratulated the management, staff and all those associated with the Nigerian Tribune over the 70th anniversary of the newspaper organisation and the grand opening of its new office in Isheri, Ogun.
“The Nigerian Tribune is the home of independent, fearless and investigative journalism in the country.
“The newspaper has continued to shine the light of truth into every corner of the Nigerian public space.”
The former governor of Lagos said that the Nigerian Tribune had set the standard for journalism practice in Nigeria.
He said all those behind the success of the newspaper should rightly feel proud of this latest milestone in its distinguished existence.
“Accept my hearty congratulations to you, the management and staff, family and friends associated with the Nigerian Tribune on the 70th anniversary of the newspaper’s establishment.
“Nigerian Tribune is, of course, the oldest surviving privately-owned newspaper in Nigeria.
“Over its 70 years of existence, the newspaper has served as an important mouthpiece for the Nigerian people.
“It boasts a proud history of defending the interests of the people from its earliest days fighting for Nigeria’s independence from British colonial rule through to the emergence of an independent, democratic and progressive Nigeria of today.
“Tribune has set the standard for journalism practice in Nigeria and all those associated with the newspaper should rightly feel proud of this latest milestone in its distinguished existence.”
He said that under their skilful guidance, the newspaper remained an essential and trusted voice within the Nigerian media space and beyond.
“My prayer is that the next 70 years will even be more successful than the last.
“Once again, congratulations on this twin-milestone,” Tinubu said.
Edited by Wale Ojetimi
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges
- Lawyers call for abrogation of laws granting ex-governors pension
- Erosion prevention: Stakeholders seek national soil policy
- NIMASA’ll collaborate with other agencies to drive the transport sector – Peterside
- Train: Commuters laud FG’s investment, urge sustenance
- Port Harcourt varsity ASUU wants closed secretariat reopened
- 124 bag first class as OAU graduates 7,209
- 14 killed in rebel attack in Congo
- Shell pledges to implement NOSDRA’s directive on N2.74 remediation of spill site
- 8 die and 80,000 displace in Uganda flooding and landslides
- Gov. Buni swears-in 20 commissioners, special advisers
- Nigeria records slight reduction in corruption prevalence in 2019′ — NBS
- NIMASA boss advises transport institute on transformation of sector
- FG committed to establishment of ECOWAS Central Bank–Finance minister
- El-Rufai urges patronage of army’s defence hardware
- Traffic law enforcement: LASTMA set to track violators with mobile device
- Rape : 6 Lagelu Grammar School students denied bail
- NCCE boss, varsity VC bag 2019 campus safety leadership impact award
- $2.2trn global economy lost to illicit trade –Analyst