The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has declared a renewed commitment to enhancing welfare and interest of stevedores as captured in the 2014 Stevedoring Regulation.
Philip Kyanet, Head, Corporate Communications, NIMASA disclosed this in a statement in Lagos on Friday.
Jamoh pledged to work more with NASC to improve the working conditions of dockworkers in the country.
He pledged greater involvement of the stevedoring companies in the ongoing effort to amend the NIMASA Act.
“We understand our responsibility towards the dockworkers and we are committed to ensuring that their rights and welfare are safeguarded at all times.
“Our recent directive to registered stevedoring companies, via a marine notice, to mobilise to their work locations and commence operation is in line with that commitment.
“NIMASA is, as always, willing and available to assist dockworkers.
“We remain committed to facilitating an enabling environment for stevedores to operate.
“As an agency, we need a deeper partnership with the stevedoring companies and, indeed, more participation from you in the current effort to amend the NIMASA Act for a more robust law that works for all of us.
“But we also urge the NASC to be more proactive in communicating challenges facing them to facilitate timely interventions by the agency,’’ Jamoh said.
Earlier, President of NASC, Mr Bolaji Sunmola, who led the visiting delegation, stated that since its inception, the association had provided a platform for discussion, formulation and implementation of policies affecting maritime labour, with focus on cargo handling operations.
He acknowledged the ongoing efforts by NIMASA to enforce the new Stevedoring regulations, reiterating his association’s readiness to work with the agency to successfully implement the regulations.
This, he said, was aimed at improving revenue generation and sustaining capacity building within the maritime industry.
Edited By: Modupe Adeloye/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed
The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the roll out of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.
Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to a hold after it was launched in six states.
He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.
The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.
Mohammed also told the stakeholders that government had been implementing policies and programmes to reposition the creative industry.
He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructure of the industry.
The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.
The Minister also reiterated government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000
Three men, who allegedly stole cell phones worth N43,000 from a woman under cutlass-point, were, on Tuesday, brought before an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos.
The defendants: Sodiq Alamin, 26; Ruya Yakubu, 23 and Yusuf Adamu, 22, all residents of Ilaje Ajah, are standing trial on a three-count charge of conspiracy, theft and armed robbery.
The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them by the police.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Chinedu Uwadiole, had told the court that the defendants committed the offences on July 7, at 8:30 pm. at Ilaje, Ajah, Lagos.
He said that the defendants threatened one Ms Shade Oyeleke with a cutlass and stole a Nokia phone, worth N3, 000 and one VTE phone, worth N40,000 from her.
According to Uwadiole, the offences contravene Sections 287, 297(2)(a) and 299 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Magistrate, Mrs O. S. Ominy, granted them bail in the sum of N500, 000 each, with two sureties each in like sum.
According to the magistrate, the sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State government.
She, thereafter, adjourned the case till Sept. 16, for mention.
Edited By: Nick Nicholas and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident
A toddler as well as a six-year-old girl and one other person were confirmed dead while six others sustained injuries in a lone accident on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, the spokesperson of the Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), confirmed the deaths to newsmen in Abeokuta on Tuesday.
He said the accident, which involved a Mazda bus marked FUF109ZD coming from Kwara inbound Lagos, happened around the Youth Camp on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Akinbiyi, who said that the accident occurred at about 2:05pm, added that it was caused by a burst tyre which resulted in the bus summersaulting.
“Six persons comprising four females and two males got injured while a toddler, a six-year-old girl and another female died in the accident.
“We learnt that the commercial bus was coming from Kwara state inbound Lagos when it had a burst tyre due to excessive speeding with a female toddler losing her life immediately while a six- year -old girl and another female died later at Idera Hospital, Sagamu,” he said.
The TRACE spokesman said the injured victims were currently receiving treatment at Idera Hospital in Sagamu while the corpses would be taken to Fakoya private morgue in the community.
He commiserated with the family of the deceased while admonishing motorists to desist from over-inflating or under-inflating tyres.
Akinbiyi also cautioned drivers against excessive speeding, especially in diversion and construction zones.
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)
Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS
The National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools (NAPPS), Amuwo Odofin Chapter, Lagos, says its members are ready for resumption of schools for students in exit classes.
NAPPS was reacting to the Federal Government’s directive that schools nationwide be reopened on Aug. 4 to give students in exit classes time to prepare for the West African Examination Council (WAEC) billed for Aug. 17.
The Chairperson of the Association, Mrs Ajoke Adeyemi, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Lagos that member schools have complied with all requirements for reopening.
Adeyemi, who is also the proprietor of Foresight Schools in FESTAC Town, said the schools had fumigated their premises thenselves as the local governments were not forthcoming in that direction.
She said: “We invited government approved fumigators and to the best of my knowledge, all schools under NAPPS, Amuwo Odofin have been fumigated.
“The Lagos State NAPPS said we should go round and inspect our schools and see whether they have complied in readiness for reopening, which we did last week Monday and Tuesday.
“We have put in place the infrared thermometers and the touch-less hand-washing and sanitising units provided by the association.
“We have provided soap, water and placed signages at strategic locations to reinforce the guidelines”.
Adeyemi added that sickbays had also been set up like in isolation centres in accordance with the guidelines for reopening of schools.
She said the arrangements made by schools was adequate to accommodate not only the senior students but the junior ones as well.
Speaking on the preparation of her school, Adeyemi said students and staff had been directed to use face shields in addition to the face masks.
“We know it is not easy for children to put on their face masks for the eight hours they will stay in school.
“We considered the students that are asthmatic also. It might not augur well for those children to put on face mask for three to eight hours in the classroom.
“Even the teachers, we provided face shields for them to wear while teaching.
“It won’t be easy for them teaching with the face masks on. The children may not even hear them clearly,” she said.
Adeyemi noted that there would not be co-curricular activities such as sports or assembly for the safety of both students and staff.
A check of the schools by NAN correspondent revealed that wash hand bowls , touch-less and manual, soap, water, hand sanitisers and infrared thermometers were provided for both students and staff.
Edited by Emmanuel Nwoye/Wale Ojetimi