Connect with us

Defence/Security

NIS decorates 35 newly promoted officers in Enugu State

Published

on

Promotion

Enugu, June 11, 2019 No fewer than 35 newly promoted officers of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Enugu Command were on Tuesday decorated with their new ranks.

Addressing the newly promoted officers after their decoration in Enugu, the Acting Comptroller of NIS, Enugu Command, Mr Paul Enokela, urged them to redouble their efforts and commitment to their duties.

Enokela said that the elevation of the officers was based on hard work, diligence and efficiency in service delivery to members of the public.

He urged them to continue to be good ambassadors of the service in their respective duty posts, adding; “You must shun all act capable of tarnishing the good image of the service’’.

“On behalf of the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service, Mr Muhammad Babandede, I congratulate you on your promotion to higher rank and higher responsibility.

“Accept your promotion as an act of God; since promotion comes from God alone.

“However, put it at the back of your mind that to whom more is given; more is expected. So, the C-G expects you people to redouble your efforts and dedication to the service,’’he said.

Enokela thanked the C-G of Immigration for the number of people who got promoted and decorated in the command, assuring him that the command would continue to be exemplary in the discharge of its duty.

According to him, the C-G says next promotion will be announced soon and those who are not promoted today might get theirs tomorrow. There is no need to despair.

Responding, Mrs Esther Josiah, one of the newly decorated officers and Assistant Comptroller of Immigration, thanked the comptroller general and the command for deeming it fit for them to be promoted.

Josiah, who spoke on behalf of other decorated officers, assured the C-G of their dedication and full commitment towards achieving the mandate of the service.

“I will assure the entire NIS and our overall boss, the C-G Immigration, that we will continue to work hard, dedicated and pray so that the service will attain greater glory.”

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that one Assistant Comptroller of Immigration, one Chief Superintendent of Immigration and two Superintendents of Immigration were decorated.

Others are seven Deputy Superintendents, six Assistant Superintendents and 18 other officers were decorated as well.

 

Tourism

D-G seeks creation of separate tourism ministry

Published

on

Mr Wale Ojo-Lanre, Director-General, Ekiti State Council for Arts and Culture, on Saturday urged the Federal Government to create a separate Ministry of Tourism to enable the industry thrive better.

Ojo-Lanre made the call during an online tourism zoom meeting with the theme:” Post COVID-19: A Fresh Start for Tourism in Nigeria”, organised by the Nigeria Travel Week and Travelscope Magazine.

He said that the tourism industry had only enjoyed minimal attention from the government because it had been merged with information.

He noted that this was neccesssary to harness the full potential of the industry for revenue generation.

The D-G also called for the establishment of a legal framework for the industry which would spell out the jurisdiction of all practitioners in the industry.

He said this would give room for a more organised industry whereby the practitioners and government would know their limit.

We urge President Muhammadu Buhari to look into this issue of tourism being merged with information sector.

“We need a separate tourism ministry and the establishment of a legal framework to make the industry flourish.

“Tourism cannot work without legal framework, the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) has been working with an archaic military degree put in place over 40 years now.

“No tourism association or organisation has legal backing, when the legal framework is in place, investors will not exercise fear to commit their finances to tourism growth in any community,” he said.

Ojo-Lanre said Ekiti State was opened for investors as Gov. Kayode Fayemi had put neccesssary action in place to provide tourism legal framework in the state.

Ekiti State is ready to receive tourists and investors, government is ready and willing to provide the enabling environment for businesses to thrive.

“Ekiti is a paragon of tourism activities, we have the home of Ifa, Osun and Ogun in Ekiti State where people can familiarise themselves with history.

“We have lots of tourists sights like the Ikogosi Warm Spring, Arinta Waterfall, Olosunta Hill, Esa Cave, mountains and hills good for hiking,” he said.


Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

Attachments

>

Continue Reading

Foreign

80 pct of total COVID-19 cases in Turkey recovered: minister

Published

on

By

Eighty percent of the total COVID-19 cases in Turkey have recovered and the majority of the patients stayed at home without any symptoms, the Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on Saturday.

“80 percent of total cases have recovered. Our newly recovered patients are nearly 2,000. The majority of patients that were diagnosed positively experience the disease without any symptoms and are at home,” he tweeted.

The total novel coronavirus cases surged to 169,218, with 878 new ones added in the past 24 hours, Koca stated, noting that 18 died in a single day, taking the death toll to 4,669.

Turkey conducted 35,846 tests for coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the overall number of tests to 2,303,258, he stated.

He said 1,922 patients recovered in the last 24 hours, raising the total recoveries to 135,322 in Turkey since the outbreak. The minister noted that 591 patients are being treated at the intensive care units and 264 others being intubated.

Turkey reported the first COVID-19 case in the country on March 11.

Turkey and China have supported each other in the fight against COVID-19. Chinese doctors and medical experts held a video conference with Turkish counterparts to share China‘s experiences in treating coronavirus patients, protecting medical workers, and controlling the spread of the virus.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

NASFAT seeks stricter punishment for rape

Published

on

An Islamic group, Nastrul Lahil Fatih Society of Nigeria (NASFAT), has called for stricter penalties against gender based violence in the country.

The Chairman of NASFAT in Kaduna State, Engr. Muhyideen Yusuf made the appeal in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria on Saturday in Kaduna.

Yusuf expressed concern over the escalation of gender based violence against women and the girl child in the country and called for urgent action to stem it.

He stressed that the recent rape and gruesome murder of Barakat Bello, Vera Omozua and many others was unacceptable.

“This cruelty is alien to all faiths and cultures in our dear country and we condemn these barbaric violence in all ramifications.

“There is no excuses or any justifications whatsoever that is acceptable from the perpetrators of these cruelty.

“We hereby call on all religious organizations, Civil Society Organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations and citizens to join hands with government at all levels to stop these evils that has infested our society,” he added.

NASFAT prays for the repose of the souls of all departed victims of these violence and condole with their families, ” he said.


Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

North Macedonia’s minister urges media to end unconfirmed reports on COVID-19

Published

on

By

North Macedonia’s Health Minister Venko Filipce on Saturday urged media outlets to end unconfirmed reports on COVID-19 situation in the country.

Via a Facebook message, Filipce said that many media outlets had published reports containing unofficial and inaccurate information related to the number of the new coronavirus cases in the country.

“For 100 days, we have been informing the public in a precise and transparent manner, revealing all details about new COVID-19 cases in order to provide the media with accurate information,” Filipce wrote.

He called on the media to stop preparing reports with speculation and unverified information on the number of infections in the country, adding that these reports led the public to lose trust in institutions.

North Macedonia has seen an increase in the number of new coronavirus cases recently as a result of failure to comply with the measures on gatherings, Filipce said in a press conference on Friday.

On Saturday, the health ministry reported 125 new coronavirus cases over the last 24 hours, increasing the total number of confirmed cases to 2,917, with 1,640 recoveries and 151 fatalities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Environment

Gov. El-Rufai urges FG to transfer Ecological Funds to Environment Ministry

Published

on

Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on Saturday canvassed for the transfer of the Ecological Fund to Federal Ministry of Environment, which has the expertise and national reach to manage the fund more efficiently.

The governor made the call when the Minister of Environment, Dr Mohammad Abubakar, presented one million seedlings to him in Kaduna, for planting across the state, to mark the World Environment Day.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the theme of this year’s World Environment Day is ‘Bio-diversity, time for nature.’

El-Rufai said that it was only proper for the Ecological Fund to be domiciled with the Ministry, because the fund was meant to fight environmental issues like erosion, deforestation and desertification.

“Apart from that, the ministry has the knowledge, technicality and expertise as well as the national reach to better manage the fund and utilise it for the benefit of the entire country,’’ he said.

El-Rufai revealed that he headed a committee during the first term of the Buhari administration, which recommended the transfer of the Fund to the environment ministry.

According to him, the matter was further tabled before the Federal Executive Council (FEC) and a decision was taken on it, but the resolution has not been implemented.

The governor regretted that Kaduna State has lost a lot of its forest in the last few years before the coming of his administration, adding that the state is being re-forested again.

‘’In the last five years, we have been planting 1.5 million trees every year. Only about 50 per cent of the trees survive, but we have not given up.

“It is an investment that we are willing to make for our children and grandchildren,’’ he added.

El-Rufai promised the minister that the state will plant the seedlings and ensure that at least 90 per cent of it survive.

“We will match the number of what the minister donated to the state; in Kaduna state, when we promise to do something, we always deliver on our promise.

“We will invite you next year so that you will see what we have done; you will then know that your donation was not in vain,’’ he added.

Earlier, the minister said that his ministry had promised five million seedlings to Kaduna state in fulfilment of President Muhammadu Buhari’s pledge to plant 25 million trees across the country.

Abubakar said that the ministry decided to commemorate this year’s World Environment Day with the state because of Gov. El Rufai’s commitment to environmental issues and support to the ministry.

The minister promised that the balance of four million trees will be delivered to the state.


Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Palestinians harvest wheat in southern Gaza Strip city of Khan Younis

Published

on

By

Palestinians harvest wheat in a field in the southern Gaza Strip city of Khan Younis, June 6, 2020. (Photo by Rizek Abdeljawad/Xinhua)

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Iran released United States prisoner on “humanitarian purposes”: Iranian ministry

Published

on

By

Iran’s Intelligence Ministry on Saturday said that the recent release of a United States prisoner was solely on humanitarian purposes after deterioration of his health, Tasnim news agency reported.

Michael White, a United States veteran who had entered Iran two years ago, was arrested and convicted of espionage, the managing director of the anti-espionage department at Iran’s Intelligence Ministry was quoted as saying.

White was released on Thursday and was finally expelled from Iran “because of deterioration of his illness and on compassionate grounds” after serving some two years in prison, he said.

Certain United States officials … were seeking to take advantage of a possible death of White due to his chronic disease and fulfill their political objectives,” he said, adding that “the release of American convict prevented the United States from using the opportunity for an ‘inhumane behavior’ against Iran.”

The United States released on Thursday one Iranian scientist, Majid Taheri, who had been in the United States jail for “violating United States sanctions against Iran.”

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said that Iran has always welcomed the “humanitarian efforts that help release of Iranian hostages in the United States and elsewhere.”

However, Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council on Friday dismissed speculation that the release of Iranian scientists jailed in the United States and Iran‘s move to free White from prison have been the result of negotiations between Tehran and Washington, according to Tasnim news agency.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

COVID-19: Pharmaceutical company donates sanitisers, face masks to ministry

Published

on

City Pharmaceuticals and Allied Partner says it donated 50 cartons of hand sanitisers and two cartons of face masks to the Federal Ministry of Health, to curtail the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The company announced the donation in a statement jointly signed by Messrs Nnamdi Obi, Felix Ugbojiaku and Kennedy Izunwa, Chairman and Directors of the company respectively, on Saturday in Abuja.

It stated that the items were meant to support the efforts of the Health Minister, Osagie Ehanire and members of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, towards reducing the spread of the virus in Nigeria.

“We wish to appreciate the minister and other members of the task force for the beautiful job they are doing toward preventing the spread of the disease.

“As part of our corporate social responsibility (CSR), our company donates 50 cartonsx20 (500ml) of hand sanitisers to the ministry and two cartonsx40 of face masks to support the PTF.

“We wish to assure the minister of our support and prayers, with the hope that the pandemic will soon be surmounted.  


Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Spanish gov’t to levy fines on violators of face mask rules

Published

on

By

People who do not wear a face mask in closed public areas will face fines of up to 100 euros (113 United States dollars), according to the Spanish government’s draft plans appearing in several Spanish newspapers on Saturday.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez confirmed during the week that his cabinet would approve the measures to be put into effect in Spain when the State of Alarm and the special lockdown measures it contains expires on June 21.

Among the “new normality” measures are fines for those who don’t wear face masks in closed public areas and outdoors where it is impossible to maintain a safe distance of two meters.

In workplaces, employers will be obliged to provide adequate hygiene and cleanliness and ensure that workers are able to maintain social distancing and have access to soap, water, and hand gels. Employers will be required to take measures to avoid overcrowding.

Similar measures are to be put into place for schools and educational centers. Commercial centers will have to pay “special attention” to food markets and common areas, and limit the number of people allowed into a center at any one time.

Travel between Spain’s 17 Autonomous Communities will be allowed once all of them have passed the four stages in Spain‘s plan to relax restrictions. However, passenger numbers will still be limited on long and medium distance trains and also on busses carrying out inter-city routes.

Meanwhile, airlines will be obliged to keep passenger lists for a month after a flight, for the sake of tracking those who have contact with an infected passenger.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also