The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), has identified a file being circulated on WhatsApp tagged ‘Argentina is Doing it’, as fake news and warned the public to avoid opening the link.
Mrs Hadiza Umar, Head, Corporate Affairs and External Relations of the agency gave the warning on behalf of the agency, in a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday.
“NITDA, in line with its efforts at enlightening Nigerians on the nefarious actions of cyber criminals exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic to mislead and defraud unsuspecting victims, would like to bring to the attention of the general public, the recent COVID-19-related fake news in circulation.
“The fake news tagged ‘Argentina Is Doing It’, being circulated over social media, particularly on WhatsApp, is aimed at causing panic and inducing terror in individuals.
“Furthermore, in order to lend credibility to the message, the senders falsely claim that the Cable News Network (CNN) also reported it,” it said.
According to the agency,the message exhibits traces of misleading information, which includes instructions to forward the message and claims of some kind of affiliation with a credible source or organisation.
It also said that the message aimed at inducing panic or shock on the recipient, and making impossible claims or serious consequences about the effect of the virus.
“The messages contain alarming languages tending to emphasise the urgent nature of the threat.
It called on all well-meaning Nigerians to support the Federal Government in its efforts at containing the spread of COVID-19 in the country by not spreading fake news.
Edited By: Angela Okisor (NAN)
- United States agency warns against toxic hand sanitisers
- Andreescu will not defend United States Open title
- Serena beats Venus to reach Lexington quarter-finals
- Gov. Umahi rejects Ebonyi’s transfer to Police Zone 13 Division
- UN Chief welcomes Israel, UAE peace agreement
- Caretaker committee promises better times for Anambra football stakeholders, unveils new FA secretariat
- NAPHER-SD identifies loopholes in sports industry policy draft, calls for review
- COVID-19: PTF working with partners to implement comprehensive response to virus
- How I survived COVID-19 — Foreign Affairs Minister
- Leipzig stun Atletico Madrid to reach Champions League last four