By Muhammad Nasir Bashir
NNN also reports that the items distributed by the NLC included; 250 bags of maize, 150 bags of millet and 150 bags of Guinea Corn.
The local government areas include: Ringim, Taura, Jahun, Miga, Auyo, Kaugama, Malammadori, Hadejia, Birninkudu, Guri, Birniwa, Kafinhausa and Kirikasamma.
Others are; 370 pieces of women wrappers, 330 yards of men’s textile materials, 200 pieces of blankets and 308 pieces of mat, as well as assorted plastic buckets, bowls and other containers.
Ya’u said the items would be distributed in collaboration with the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).
He said that they would be distributed based on severity of the disaster in each of the 13 LGA.
According to him, 13 teams comprising members of the NLC leadership would convey and deliver the allocated items to the benefiting LGAs.
Ya’u revealed that N200 was contributed by each civil servant in the state to raise over N10 million used to assist the victims.
“We are happy to launch donation to our brothers and sisters across 13 LGAs of Jigawa State who lost their shelters, farmers, and properties to flood disaster during the last raining season on behalf of the workers and pensioners in the state.
“When NLC received the sad news, a high-powered delegation of all the chairmen and secretaries of the existing industrial unions visited the most affected areas and sympathised with the victims.
“During the sympathy tour, the union leaders witnessed the very sorry and deplorable situation the people found themselves.
“And this informed the decision taken by the NLC State Executive Council for the N200 per worker contribution to the victims to ameliorate their sufferings,” Ya’u explained.
He said that the gesture was part of the union’s intervention to assist the victims.
The chairman, therefore, urged the victims to consider the gesture as a form of assistance and not compensation. (NNN)
Edited by Julius Toba-Jegede
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges