Connect with us

Health

NMA seeks more protection for doctors treating accident, gunshot victims

Published

on

Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) has appealed for more protection of doctors treating and reporting accident and gunshot injuries to police to avoid molestation and attacks by criminals.

Dr Ekpe Uche, Chairman, FCT Chapter of NMA, made the appeal while briefing newsmen at the end of the association’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Sunday in Abuja.

He said that the association had instances where families of doctors who treated gunshot victims were attacked, hence the plea for more protection for such doctors.

He added that “by the time you report an armed robber to the police, other armed robbers would come back to attack the doctors family.

“ Because of this insecurity, sometimes doctors are reluctant to treat victims and report such cases to the police,’’ he said.

Uche noted that some were, however, genuine victims of accident or gunshot, while others were armed robbers.

He said that doctors took oath to save lives, adding that it was their responsibility to treat victims of gunshots and accidents, whether they were armed robbers or not.

The NMA chairman also urged government to provide more funds for the treatment of accident victims who could not afford good services.

He observed that the Federal Government was already doing something about the problem through the Basic Health Care Provision Fund of the National Health Act, 2014.

“The fund was to be disbursed to the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) and the Federal Ministry of Health.

“The money meant for the Federal Ministry of Health was not just to be used to pay for the health services rendered to gunshot victims alone but accident victims in general,’’ he said.

The Nigeria News Agency recalls that the theme of the NMA AGM was “The Rising Trend of Suicide in Nigeria: A Holistic Perspective’’.

Uche said that the association had concluded plan to put in place a standard operation procedure which would be used to reduce the alarming cases of suicide in the country.

He also advocated for more functional primary healthcare centres in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

 

Foreign

Myanmar reports 4 more COVID-19 cases, 232 in total

Published

on

By

The total number of COVID-19 cases in Myanmar has risen to 232, with four more confirmed cases reported on Tuesday, according to a release from the Ministry of Health and Sports.

Of the newly confirmed cases, two patients are from Shan state and one each from Yangon region and Chin state, the release said.

According to the release, all patients were not in close contact with previously confirmed patients, but three of them were under quarantine as they had travel history in the past 14 days.

According to the ministry, 143 patients have recovered from the disease so far.

Myanmar has reported six deaths from COVID-19 as of Tuesday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

10 killed, 28 injured in strong winds across Myanmar in 2 months

Published

on

By

Ten people were killed and 28 others injured in strong wind assaults across Myanmar in nearly two months, a government offical told Xinhua on Tuesday.

Since April 9, Kachin state and Magway region suffered the most casualties due to the strong winds, said Phyu Lei Lei Tun, director of the Disaster Management Department under the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement.

During the nearly two-month period, 987 houses and six religious buildings were destroyed by the strong winds while 13,121 houses and 247 religious buildings were unroofed, she added.

It was learnt that the ministry has provided humanitarian assistance to the disaster-hit victims.

Also, people are urged to take precautionary measures against strong winds and hailstorms in the pre-monsoon months of March, April and May in the country.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Over 2,800 Myanmar nationals arrive home by relief flights

Published

on

By

A total of 2,830 Myanmar nationals have arrived back home by relief flights as of Monday, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday.

So far, Myanmar authorities have repatriated its citizens who were stranded in 22 foreign countries and region due to the suspension of international commercial flight during the COVID-19 pandemic, an official from the Consular and Legal Affairs Department under the ministry told Xinhua.

Recently, 83 Myanmar citizens from Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea arrived back home by a relief flight on Monday.

“About 80 to 100 Myanmar nationals from Germany will arrive in Yangon on June 4,” the official said.

It was learnt that the returnees will be put under quarantine at designated facilities or hotels in Yangon region for 21 days on their arrivals.

According to the Health and Sports Ministry, Myanmar has reported 228 COVID-19 cases and six deaths as of early Tuesday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Myanmar extends entry restrictions for travellers to June 15 to contain COVID-19 spread

Published

on

By

Myanmar’s Foreign Affairs Ministry Monday announced extension of temporary entry restrictions for travellers from all countries until June 15, as part of measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 outbreak.

The extension will be effective to the ministry’s announcements of precautionary measures for the travellers which were set to be in force until May 31.

Complying with the restrictions, all incoming travelers including Myanmar nationals and all diplomats accredited to Myanmar and the United Nations officials working in Myanmar must follow the existing directives issued by the Ministry of Health and Sports on their arrival in Myanmar.

Also, the suspension period of all types of visas including social visit visas and visa exemption services has been extended to June 15, the ministry’s announcement said.

Myanmar has reported 228 confirmed COVID-19 cases with six deaths so far since the infectious disease was first detected in the country on March 23.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

COVID-19: 50 awaiting trial inmates released in Plateau

Published

on

The Chief Judge of Plateau , Justice Yakubu Dakwak, on Monday discharged 50 awaiting trial inmates who had been in custody at the Jos Correctional Centre over different minor offences.

 

Dakwak said that the release of the suspects was in line with the decision of the Federal Government to decongest the custodial centres in the country, as a measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

The Chief Judge, however, said  that those standing trial over alleged violent offences like murder, armed robbery, kidnapping, and rape did not benefit from the reprieve.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that those discharged committed minor offences such as: theft, breach of trust and inciting public disturbance.

NAN reports that the suspects had been on remand for many months with some spending over a year in jail without going on trial.

The Chief Judge while discharging the suspects, however, said they were discharged of the offences but not acquitted.

“I want to tell all of you that you have been discharged but not acquitted.

“If you go out there and commit another crime, you will come back here and we will reopen this case and still try you for the new one you committed.

“We expect you to be of good behaviour and take this as a chance to turn a new leaf and shun crime,” he said.

Dakwak said  that the exercise would continue quarterly in all the correctional centres in the state to help decongest the facilities and also promised to ensure speedy trials for accused persons.

The Controller of Corrections, Plateau  Command, Mr Samuel Aguda, said that the Command had 1,441 inmates in the state, with the Jos Custodial Centre alone accounting for 888 inmates out of the number.

Aguda said that there were 652 awaiting trial, 572 convicts and 228 condemned convicts.

He lauded the decongestion initiative stating that it would give room for social and physical distancing in the facilities in view of the rampaging effect of the Coronavirus disease.

The Controller, however, said that the permanent solution to custodial congestion was for stakeholders to look inwards and start the full implementation of the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law 2018 of Plateau state.

Aguda also appealed to lower court judges to start sentencing minor offenders to community service instead of sending them to custodial sentences.


Edited By: Bayo Sekoni/Peter Dada (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

COVID-19 cases in Myanmar rise to 228

Published

on

By

MYANMAR-YANGON-COVID-19” src=”https://nnn.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/139105766_15910205671981n.jpg” sourcename=”本地文件” sourcedescription=”网上抓取的文件”>

Continue Reading

General news

Gov. Okowa congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Ujah

Published

on

Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta has congratulated Prof. Innocent Ujah on his election as the President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).

The governor’s felicitation was conveyed in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olisa Ifeajika, on Sunday in Asaba.

Ujah, a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, was the immediate past Director-General of the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), Yaba, Lagos.

He was elected with 347 votes at the association’s Annual General Conference and Delegates Meeting held online on Saturday, to defeat his closest rival, Oguzie Jerry, who got 19 votes.

Okowa described Ujah as a “distinguished medical scholar and outstanding patriot.”

He said that Ujah had distinguished himself as a professional with proven progressive experience in National Maternal Health policy development in Nigeria.

He noted that the new NMA president was involved in national integrated planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation activities in the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory.

The governor further noted Ujah had contributed to the institution of safe motherhood activities in Nigeria since 1990.

Okowa urged Ujah to bring his wealth of experience to bear on his new task, saying that he should give prime attention to adherence to medical ethics by medical practitioners.

“On behalf of the government and people of Delta, I congratulate you, Professor Innocent Ujah, on your election as President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).

“It is a thing of joy to note that you won the election with a very wide margin which indicated the overwhelming acceptance of your competence and ability to lead the professional body of medical doctors in Africa’s largest country.

While I congratulate you on this victory, let me remind you that the task ahead is daunting and onerous and you must bring your wealth of experience to bear in the discharge of your duties as president of the association.

“I, therefore, charge you to remain committed as you lead the NMA to promote universal health coverage and to ensure that Nigeria flattens the curve of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Okowa said.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Ejike Obeta (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Stimulants worth over 13 mln USD seized in Myanmar

Published

on

By

Myanmar authorities seized a large haul of stimulants in Rakhine state, according to a release from the Office of the Commander-in-Chief of the Defense Services on Sunday.

Acting on tip-offs, the security force raided a house in Maung Taw Township on Saturday.

Stimulants worth over 14.2 billion kyats (over 10 million U.S. dollars) were confiscated from the house and two suspects were held.

The township police filed a case against the suspects under the country’s Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Law, the release said.

On the same day, stimulants worth over 4.8 billion kyats (over 3.2 million U.S. dollars) were seized in Tachileik township of the Shan state.

According to a latest release issued by the President’s Office, a total of 1,136 drug-related cases were registered across Myanmar while 1,745 suspects were charged in connection with the cases as of May 23 this year, since the formation of the Drug Activity Special Complaint Department on June 26, 2018.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Thailand to receive Chinese-built, unmanned train next month

Published

on

By

A Chinese-built, unmanned monorail train is scheduled for delivery to Thailand’s Bangkok next month, confirmed an executive official on Sunday.

The first Bombardier Innovia APM-300 train, manufactured in China, will arrive to the Thai capital next month, followed by two others in the next few months, said Manit Techa-apichok of Krungthep Thanakom Co., a business management firm of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

The unmanned trains will shuttle commuters between a BTS station and three others on the Thonburi side of the city from October, Manit said.

A fleet of three monorail trains will run between Krung Thon station on the BTS Silom Line and those in Charoen Nakhon and Khlong San areas, including one outside Iconsiam trade center, he said.

Each of the trains has two carriages and can accommodate 140 passengers.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also