“The G7 is an informal club, there’s no such thing as a formal mandate that somebody gives someone else in the G7,” he said.
Instead, Macron said that he would be pursuing discussions with the Islamic Republic “in the name of France but … in light of yesterday’s discussions” at the summit of Western powers and Japan.
French diplomatic officials had earlier said that G7 leaders authorised Macron to hold dialogue with Iran to reduce tensions, but U.S. President Donald Trump immediately threw cold water on the idea.
Tensions have ratcheted up in the Gulf in recent months as the U.S. pursues a “maximum pressure” strategy involving crippling sanctions on Iran, which has included an attempt to prevent an Iranian oil tanker from passing through the Mediterranean Sea.
The vessel, known as the Adrian Darya 1 and formerly as the Grace 1, was held for several weeks in Gibraltar over suspicions it was carrying Iranian oil to war-torn Syria in violation of European Union sanctions.
The ship is heading in the direction of the eastern Mediterranean, according to a maritime tracking website.
Greece and Turkey had been earlier registered as destination ports but then later withdrawn.
(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)
- World Diabetes Day: Association urges mothers to prepare natural foods for families
- Turkey qualify for Euro 2020 with draw against Iceland, France also secure spot
- 2 injured in Tejuosho Lagos fire — LASEMA
- CPAN says 2019 UTME marred by biometric, browser failure
- Efficient deployment of resources critical to universal health coverage – Don
- Why LASU is introducing 2-stream undergraduate programmes — VC
- Fellow officer defiled my daughter in barracks, policewoman tells court
- UHC: NIPSS wants Buhari to convene National Council of State meeting
- NGO calls for synergy on diabetes awareness
- Red Cross trains 30 surgeons on management of weapon wounded patients
- NPFL: Rangers pips Sunshine Stars 1-0 in Enugu
- World Diabetes Day: NGO provides free medicare to Abuja residents
- Agency signs MoU with bank to create access for loan for health maintenance
- NACCIMA president charges FG, states to patronise Innoson motors
- Pantami directs NCC to address issues of automatic voicemails on existing phonelines
- FG open to willing foreign investors in agribusiness – Perm Sec
- 4,000 Primary Health Centres have been revitalised in Nigeria – NPHCDA
- U.S calls for peaceful, free, transparent elections in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Buhari greets Wazirin Dutse, Bashir Dalhatu, at 70
- New Federal Polytechnic Daura to begin operation in 2019/2020 academic – NBTE boss