Defence/Security

No Igbo boy burnt alive in Kaduna, it’s fake news — Police

Published

on

The Kaduna State Police Command says news circulating on social media that an Igbo boy was burnt alive in Kaduna is absolutely false.

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Ali Janga said in a press statement through the Command Public Relations  Officer, DSP Yakubu Sabo on Wednesday in Kaduna.

The statement said the fake news was published on Nairaland Forum, an online Media.

“The writer consciously avoided giving details of the location and name of people involved to paint his fictitious story.

“The command wishes to state that there was no report of such incident and the story is entirely a fabrication, maliciously intended to incite crisis and create fear in the minds of unsuspecting citizens.

“The command, therefore, calls on the good people of Kaduna State and indeed Nigeria to disregard the story as fake, callously aimed at causing disaffection among Nigerians on the basis of tribe or religion.

“The command warns such trouble makers to desist from making inciting publication that is capable of undermining the peace we are currently enjoying in the state and to remind the public that such act is criminal and punishable under the nation’s laws.” he said

Janga said the command will deal aggressively with any person or group of persons “who are hell bent at causing disharmony or civil unrest in the State under any guise.”

Defence/Security

Police confirm killing of 6 in Rivers community

Published

on

The Police Command in Rivers has confirmed the killing of six persons during a violent protest by angry youths in Chokocho, Etche Local Government Area of the state.

The command’s spokesman, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the killing in a statement in Port Harcourt on Thursday.

He debunked some media reports that 15 persons were killed during an alleged deadly attack on commuters travelling through Etche communities to Owerri and beyond.

The social media reports added that the angry youths also burnt a police station as well as engaged the army and police in a gun battle.

Ordinarily, we would have ignored this baseless and unverifiable report that is intended to cause panic and tension in the state.

In order not to allow the public form a dangerous opinion, we therefore thought it wise and expedient to correct this fake news,” he stated.

Omoni said the command had deployed mobile policemen after receiving a distress call on Dec. 7 following a blockage of Okomoko-Chokocho Bridge by protesters.

He said policemen, on arrival at the scene, dismantled the barricade and restored normalcy to the area.

Thereafter, a team led by the Divisional Police Officer, CSP Joseph Anche, recovered five corpses in a river in the area.

This discovery, however, sparked off another round of protest, which our men were able to contain.

At the end of the day, six persons were killed contrary to the 15 deaths reported, while no police station was burnt and no commuter was attacked and killed as speculated,” he said.

The police spokesman said that normalcy had been restored to the area with the Rivers Commissioner of Police, CP Mustapha Dandaura, launching a full scale investigation on the killings.

He added that the investigation would enable the police to determine the circumstances surrounding the killings as well as unravel the identities of the perpetrators of the crime.

“So, CP Dandaura is appealing to residents of Etche to remain calm and trust in the ability of the command to protect their lives and properties,” he said.

Edited by: Ejike Obeta/Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Suspected robbers kill one in Makurdi -Police

Published

on

The Benue Police Command on Thursday said suspected armed robbers killed one Mr Joseph Iorguma, in North Bank, Makurdi.

The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Catherine Anene, told Nigeria News Agency in Makurdi that the incident took place at Asase I, by SRS Junction North Bank around 4 a.m. on Thursday morning.

Anene said that the victim is said to be a staff of Benue Links Plc, a transport company owned by the Benue State Government.

She said that the gunmen came in form of armed robbers and killed the victim at his residence at Asase I.

The PPRO further disclosed that the Command has commenced investigation into the matter and urged the public with useful information to come forward with it as they would be shielded.

The General Manager, Benue Links Plc, Mrs Monica Ugela, while confirming the incident to NAN, said the victim was not a staff but an agent of the company.

Ugela further expressed the company’s deepest condolences over the lost.

NAN reports that Benue Links Plc Transport Company operates a motor park at Asase I, North Bank, Makurdi where the victim worked before his death.

Edited by: Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Unknown persons kill 2 security guards in Benue -Police

Published

on

Benue Police Command on Wednesday said unknown persons killed two security guards along Old River Benue Bridge in Makurdi, the State Capital.

The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Catherine Anene, while confirming the incident said the Command has commenced investigation into the matter.

Anene explained that the guards were attacked at their place of work at a fish pond belonging to Steam Fast Foods.

She said one of the guards was killed and dropped inside River Benue, adding that his body was later recovered close to Greater Makurdi Water Works plant.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the land where the fish pond was situated was in dispute and in court.

Edited by: Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS

Published

on

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, says the service has fully begun air operation code named “Operation Rattle Snake’’ to finally wipe out remnant of Boko Haram insurgents in the North East.

Abuabakar stated this on Wednesday during an operational visit to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), 105 Composite Command in Maiduguri.

He said the visit was to appraise the progress of the operation, interact with personnel and encourage them in the execution of the air campaign against the insurgents.

The idea of the operation Rattle Snake is to further deal with the issue of terrorism in the northeast and give necessary support to the ground troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) and Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF).

From the briefs; I am happy with the progress so far made, we have identified a number of targets, neutralised them and it will continue.

The rate of efforts now is much more than what we used to have in other operations. We have quite a number of airplanes and many more will be deployed to support the operation.

The idea is to take full advantage of the situation on ground to degrade Boko Haram insurgents and ensure a secured country,” Abubakar said.

Nigeria News Agency reports that NAF on Dec. 10 launched the operation Rattle Snake against Boko Haram terrorists hibernating in the fringes of Sambisa Forest and Lake Chad basin.

The campaign targets selected locations in the region to further degrade remnants of the insurgents.

Edited by: Martins Odeh/Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB

Published

on

The Nigerian Army says the recent video clip allegedly released by Boko Haram terrorists portraying capture and killing of some Nigerian soldiers was the fabrication of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, in a statement on Wednesday said that the video was not an occurrence that took place in Nigeria.

He urged the public and personnel of Nigerian army, especially those in the North East theatre of operation, to disregard the video.

According to him, it is a video concocted to cause disunity and fragmentation of Nigeria.

Accordingly, the call by one Simon Ekpa, (the principal actor in the clip), calling on soldiers of South East extraction presently serving in the North East to desert the Army and return to Biafra proved it.

Also, the call on South Easterners not to join the Nigerian Army is an obvious indication of the essence and objective of the masterminds of this fake video which should be discountenanced by the public.

Meanwhile the leadership of the Nigerian Army wish to also reiterate its unflinching commitment to sustain the war against terrorism.

It shall not be deterred by the evil machinations or propagandist activities of mischievous persons whose main interest is the disunity of our beloved nation,” he said.

Nigeria News Agency recalls that a video purportedly released by the terrorists portraying the stage showing the capture and killing of some Nigerian soldiers by the terrorists group went viral on social media on Tuesday.

Edited by: Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

Latest News

editor@nnn.com.ng