NOA calls for upgrade of tourist sites
Abuja, Aug. 14, 2019 The National Orientation Agency (NOA) has called on stakeholders in the tourism sector to upgrade tourist sites across the country and make them more attractive to tourists.
Mrs Theresa Maduekwe, Deputy Director, Department of Public Enlightenment and Mass Mobilisation in NOA made the call in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Wednesday in Abuja.
Maduekwe noted that lack of maintenance was the major challenge confronting the sector which had contributed to the malfunction of most tourist sites in the country.
She explained that if the sites were upgraded, it would attract tourist and create an avenue to generate income to the nation and contribute positively to the economic growth of the country.
“Imagine families that decided to leave for a place either for adventure, business or personal reasons only to find out that the place is not properly maintained; they will be discouraged.
“Stakeholders including governments should be serious in the maintenance of the various sites; everything about the sites are supposed to be of standard.
“Also, there is need for adequate resources to be allocated by governments to this sector because development and maintenance of sites is capital,’’ she said.
Maduekwe stressed that National Parks in Nigeria generate high proportion of income, “but they are almost dead due to lack of maintenance; if they are maintained the way it ought to be it will attract guest and tourists”.
However, she urged state governments to come up with tourism master plans for their respective states.
She said that each state had its own tourism potentials stressing that when a state markets its tourism potentials, it would attract tourists from across the world.
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Lack of synergy responsible for Nigeria’s loss at IMO council election – operators
- Wabote lists benefits of NLNG Train 7
- Group seeks participation of more women in farming
- Aguleri community builds unity centre worth N150m
- Eye centre performs 900 operations in 12 months
- Transport strikes continue in France amid fresh lorry blockades
- IPPIS: NECA urges FG, ASUU to initiate industrial relations process to resolve disagreement
- Former head of state, Abdulsalami underscores importance of traditional institutions
- UniJos graduates 11, 431 students, 74 first class, 97 PhDs
- Institute concludes environmental impact survey of Lagos, makes recommendations
- Sowore: Rights commission urges law enforcement officials to respect law
- Lai Muhammed, others bag honorary fellowship as tourism institute graduates 3,000
- Accounting profession not for corrupt people, says ANAN Chairman
- Gov. Ganduje presents employment letters to 920 newly recruited health workers
- Taiwan marks 40th anniversary of crushing of pro-democracy march
- Kaduna NUJ commends Gov. el-Rufai for ongoing urban renewal projects
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker