North Korea fires unidentified projectile — South’s military
The projectile was fired at about 4:30 p.m. (0730 GMT) from the Northwest location of Sino-ri, towards the east, the South’s Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.
It did not immediately release further details.
Last week North Korea launched a number of rockets and at least one short-range missile from its East coast into the ocean, sharply rising tension on the Korean peninsula at a time of stalemate in talks between Pyongyang and Washington.
On Wednesday North Korea lashed out at the U.S. and South Korea, saying last week’s strike drill was “regular and self-defensive” and rejecting the notion that it was an act of provocation.
South Korea responded to last week’s action by the North by calling for an end to acts that escalate military tension.
The area where Thursday’s projectile was launched is believed to be the site of a medium-range Rodong missile base on North Korea’s West coast, a Washington-based think tank, the Centre for Stratetic International Studies, says.
Saturday’s launch of a short-range missile from another East coast area was the North’s first test of a ballistic missile since it launched an intercontinental ballistic missile in November 2017.
- Stakeholders to converge on Abuja for UHC Nov. 13 – Sen Oloriegbe
- Minister says sanitation crisis if allowed may undermine SDG 2030
- Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter recovering after surgery
- Unity Colleges: Federal Ministry of Education calls on principals to step up leadership roles
- FCT board to begin 10 days measles, Meningitis `A’ vaccination on Nov. 16
- Macron right on EU membership rules, says North Macedonian president
- S. Africa ready for e-visa system to attract more tourists
- Uganda’s Magala talks tough as Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship gets underway in Abuja
- Lagos Government pledges patronage of local boat manufacturers
- Minister harps on evolving science, technologies to improve innovations
- Police task hoteliers on security measures during Yuletide
- I will recover Bayelsa’s looted funds if voted –DPC governorship candidate
- Borno bans illegal motor parks to curb crimes
- Hundreds of traders protest demolition of Ikosi/Isheri market in Lagos
- INEC ready for Kogi,Bayelsa poll says Chairman
- Progressive governance involves provision of education, jobs, healthcare – Osinbajo
- Minimum wage: Labour tasks legislature on implementation in Kwara
- Ondo State Govt. to partner with NGOs on sports development
- 200 naval officers commence small arms firing training exercise
- Namibia declares polling day a public holiday