North Korea’s top negotiator in U.S. talks removed from post– report
The Yonhap news agency, citing a South Korean lawmaker who had information from Seoul’s spy agency, said that Kim was replaced by Jang Kum Chol as head of the United Front Department, which is tasked with managing inter-Korean relations.
The report did not speculate on why the change may have been made.
Kim was U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s North Korean counterpart in the talks between Pyongyang and Washington on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
He visited the White House in January to meet U.S. President Donald Trump.
The diplomat was regarded as a close confidant of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, most recently serving as the vice chairman of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party.
Recently, the North Korean Foreign Ministry said that Pompeo should be replaced by someone “more mature’’.
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study