“Now to speculate how long the reconstruction will take and what it will cost is looking into a crystal ball,’’ the chief architect, Peter Fuessenich told newsmen.
According to Fuessenich, just seeing the television images, you know that it will not be just years until the last damage is eliminated, but that it is going to carry on for decades.
“The next few days are now crucial.
“The stone vaults below the burned roof trusses have been soaked with the water used to extinguish the fire.
“This has led to a gain in weight many times over in the vaulted ceilings. One will have to wait the next few days to see if the vaults will withstand this weight,’’ Fuessenich told dpa.
The destruction of Notre Dame’s roof trusses was a particularly great loss, because they had mostly originated from the 13th century.
Cologne Cathedral has roof trusses made of iron from the 19th century.
“Compared to a wooden one, it does not burn directly.
- Belgian tourism affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- New York officials urge stop of violence in George Floyd protests
- S. Korea reports 27 more COVID-19 cases, 11,468 in total
- New Yorkers continue to protest over George Floyd’s death
- U.S. Seattle announces curfew for weekend after protests
- S. Africa allows phased reopening of tourism amid COVID-19
- New Zealand reports no new COVID-19 case for 9 consecutive days
- S. Africa’s COVID-19 cases surpass 30,000
- Rwanda reports first COVID-19 death
- 1st LD Writethru: 5.3-magnitude quake hits 1210 km N of Acarau, Brazil — USGS
- Los Angeles declares curfew after four days of protests
- Belgium’s hospitality industry heavily affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Portuguese president, PM pay tribute to firefighters amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Hundreds of people arrested after protests against police brutality in Los Angeles
- Cuba backs WHO after U.S. announces terminating relationship
- Spotlight: NASA, SpaceX launch first crewed mission from U.S. soil since 2011
- Feature: Deported Salvadoran recalls dangerous conditions, inadequate care at U.S. detention center during pandemic
- People protest in U.S. Oakland over police-custody death of George Floyd
- Global COVID-19 cases top 6 mln — Johns Hopkins University
- SpaceX launches NASA astronauts into orbit on historic mission