Wikki Tourists Football Club of Bauchi on Sunday humiliated visiting Lobi Stars Football Club of Makurdi 4-0 at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Match Day 20 fixture was characterised by rough play, with many players getting booked.
Manu Garba opened scores two minutes into the game, and they increased the tally through Idris Guda in the 24th minute of play after missing several scoring chances.
In the 56th minute of play, Garba scored the match’s third goal while Guda scored the fourth goal in the 72nd minute after converting a free-kick by Ajala Olushola.
Lobi Stars had started strongly but lost many scoring chances and their steam as the game progressed.
In a post-match interview, the Technical Adviser of Wikki Tourists, Usman Abdallah, commended the efforts of his players for winning the match.
“The match is a morale-booster for the team, though there is still a lot needed of them.
“We still have some deficit to make up as we started badly, and the team has to make up to forge further.
“You could see the fighting spirit is there and we will try to sustain it during our future home and away matches.
“We have discovered our mistakes and our best players who will salvage the team,” he pointed out.
Gbenga Ogunbote, the Chief Coach of the visiting Lobi Stars, on his part described the match as “unfortunate”.
“It was an unfortunate one. Sometimes you have careless moments in the game and you pay dearly for them, and I believe the first and second goals unsettled my players.
“We will just return home to take the positive aspects from the game and, as it is a temporary setback, we will get back.
“We will see it as a challenge, get the positives from the match and get it right,” Ogunbote said.
He described the match’s officiating as “excellent”.
Edited By: Philip Dzeremo and Olawale Alabi)
Watch Live News
Make A Comment
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 5 new cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: FCTA begins decontamination of Abuja
- COVID-19: PDP tasks NASS on proposed N500bn intervention fund
- NNPC repairs vandalised pipeline at Mosan, Ipaja Lagos – LASEMA
- KDSG to prosecute anyone caught diverting food for vulnerable people – Commissioner
- Coronavirus – Uganda: Update on the Covid-19 Outbreak in Uganda
- Kaduna food distribution: Poor people not getting items – Coalition
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Notification on Situational COVID 19 Update
- COVID-19: Oyo govt to fumigate markets in the state
- Coronavirus – Kenya: Kenyatta University Teaching and Referral Hospital becomes COVID-19 facility
- Coronavirus – South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa assesses progress and challenges on implementation of Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown: LASG to punish officials undermining welfare programme
- Buhari condoles with Kano community over demise of 2 prominent citizens
- COVID-19 Lockdown: Lagos offers free treatment for maternity, emergency patients
- Singapore reports 75 new coronavirus cases
- COVID-19: Gynaecologist calls for sustained antenatal, maternal care for pregnant women
- COVID-19: Bangladesh extends public transport shutdown to April 11 to contain spread
- COVID-19: Yobe Govt says suspected case negative
- Oshiomhole @ 68: APC Governors laud party chairman’s commitment to national unity
- BNSG accuses Uji, former Teachers service board boss, of financial impropriety