The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Zamfara says it has arrested five persons for alleged illegal abortion and rape.
Sector Commander of NSCDC in the state, Aliyu Garba, announced this while parading suspects before newsmen on Wednesday, in Gusau.
Garba said that four suspects, inclusive of a pregnant girl, were arrested in connection with criminal conspiracy and carrying out an illegal abortion.
Those arrested included the pregnant Sharifa Isiya, 15 and her mother, Fatima Yakubu, 40, who hail from Balgari Village.
Also arrested were two health workers, Bello Yari and Muktar Usman from Bakura.
The commandant said that the arrest was made possible, following a report from officials of Hisba Commission in Bakura on July 7.
He said that the officials reported that Yakubu and her daughter conspired with Yari, a staff nurse with the General Hospital, Talata Mafara and Muktar Usman, a ward orderly at the Bakura General Hospital, to abort Isiya’s seven-month-old pregnancy.
He said that during the investigation, the aborted foetus, which was tied and covered in a nylon bag, was discovered in Fatima’s room at Balgari Village.
The NSCDC boss also said that some pharmaceutical and surgical equipment were also found in the room.
Meanwhile, the command also arrested one Bashir Sani, 35 from Dogon Dabino area in Gusau, for the alleged rape of 10-year-old girl (name withheld).
The commandant said that Sani was arrested following a complaint brought to the command that he lured the girl with N10.
Speaking to newsmen, the suspect denied the allegation but medical reports from Sexual Assault and Referral Centre, Gusau confirmed there was penetration into the victim.
The commandant said that all the five suspects would be charged to court at the end of the ongoing investigation.
Garba advised parents to be vigilant about the movement and whereabouts of their children and wards.
Edited By: Sam Oditah/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
- Barca’s Pique calls for wholesale changes after “shameful” defeat
- INEC seeks stakeholders collaboration in instituting electoral transparency
- Bayern Munich must stay grounded in spite of Barca demolition, coach says
- FC Barcelona’s Umtiti tests positive for COVID-19
- Bauchi Gov. condoles family of murdered lawmaker, Mante
- Football united behind Infantino, FIFA general secretary says
- Council approves health care provision fund guideline
- Labour ministry denies complicity in human trafficking
- UN ‘strongly condemns’ rights abuses in Cameroon
- Tourism operators reveal Top 10 romantic destinations for honeymoon in Nigeria