The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Oyo State command, has arrested five suspected illegal miners and a truck loaded with precious stones in Iseyin area of the state.
The suspects were paraded by the NSCDC State Commandant, Iskilu Akinsanya, on Tuesday, at the command headquarters in Ibadan.
Akinsanya said that the command discovered the operation of the illegal miners at about 4 pm. on Monday as a result of intelligence gathering.
The commandant said that five suspects were arrested with one truck loaded with precious stones.
He said that the suspects were also apprehended with an empty truck and a bicycle.
“We discovered that some of the companies were mining without licence and this is against the law of the land.
“Investigations still continue and they will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded,” Akinsanya said.
He advised Nigerians to always participate in legal businesses and obtain necessary documents and government permit before engaging in any venture.
Speaking with newsmen, one of the suspects admitted that he did not have a licence to mine, saying that he regretted his action.
Edited by Tayo Ikujuni and ‘Wale Sadeeq
- EU reaches first deal to buy potential COVID-19 vaccine
- Virus risk: N. Korean leader warns against accepting outside flood aid
- FITC initiates essay competition to reward young African undergraduates
- French investigators say Niger attack on aid staff aimed at Westerners
- Kogi CJ lauds Gov Bello for establishing citizens’ Rights Commission
- Unfair employment treatment: FG opens investigation to determine compliance with standards
- Minimum wage: Union urges governors to forfeit security votes
- Germany urges dialogue between Turkey, Greece in eastern Mediterranean gas row
- Former Angolan leader’s son given 5 years in prison for graft — report
- DSS cautions against inciting, unguarded statements