Nuclear lab celebrates 30th anniversary of World Wide Web invention
The World Wide Web, commonly known as the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators, which may be interlinked by hypertext, and are accessible via the Internet.
It, however, highlighted the benefits that basic science could bring to the general public.
In March 1989, British physicist and computer scientist, Tim Berners-Lee, presented a short paper at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN).
Berners-Lee proposed a system to manage and link the vast amount of scientific information generated by this institution.
CERN Director General, Fabiola Gianotti, also noted that the paper was a vision that came to transform society and the way humanity access information and connect at a global level.
CERN, which is focused on finding the smallest building blocks of the universe, decided in the 1990s to make the World Wide Web technology freely available without collecting royalties.
“Basic science, with its ambitious goals, brings cutting-edge technological development in many areas, and can impact society in a profound way,’’ Gianotti said.
The internet, which is older than Berners-Lee’s invention, is the term for the global network of individual computer networks.
The World Wide Web is one of the best-known systems to encode and browse information on the internet.
- National Assembly mulls passage of 2020 budget Nov. 28
- Army commences exercise crocodile smile lV in Ondo
- Bayelsa Poll: NGO decries tense political atmosphere, sues for restraint
- Adamawa government sacks polytechnic staff
- Bishop commends Gov. El-Rufai for stopping demolition of 110-year-old Church
- Trump open to deal with democrats over Obama’s DACA programme
- Minister tasks Defence Attachés on new security challenges
- 25th Anniversary: Sweet Sensation will improve on ‘Feeding the Hungry’ programme, says MD
- NYSC appeals to Kano State Govt over dilapidated orientation camp road
- Police Commission deploys 45 monitors for Kogi, Bayelsa elections
- Russia, Somalia recommit to jointly combating terrorism – Foreign ministry
- Gombe assembly impeaches deputy speaker
- CONMESS: COOUTH doctors have no need to embark on strike — Anambra Govt
- Fire guts a section of Niger Government House
- Ogun : Road traffic crashes claim 301 lives in 10 months – FRSC
- Rivers: Youth Leader wants probe of 28 NDDC contracts abandoned in Andoni LGA
- Regular training remains critical to Nigerian Army’s constitutional role–Buratai
- Senate appeals to FG to ban importation of textile for 5 years
- Expert cautions women on choice of Brassiers
- Man, 34, jailed six months in Osun for theft, assault