The NUJ made the appeal in a communiqué issued at the end of its May Congress in Enugu.
The communiqué jointly signed by Odomero Igbodo, Chigozie Alex-Nwafor and Izuchukwu, congratulated Ugwuanyi for a successful inauguration for a second term in office.
It noted that the governor needed competent hands to drive his policies in the media.
It said that members of the union were not taking for granted the friendly disposition of the governor towards them, but stressed that the administration needed round pegs in round holes.
“We urge the governor to take into consideration professionalism and expertise in information management while appointing media managers in his second term in office.
“The union parades capable hands that can be considered for such appointments,” it read.
The communiqué said that journalists in the state would continue to collaborate with the state government to ensure strategic communication of its policies and programmes.
Concerned by the growing insecurity in the Southeast and increasing poverty level among the people of the area, the communiqué called for greater collaboration among the governors in the zone.
It expressed concern on the growing spate of insecurity in the region and need to create jobs as well as reduce poverty among the people.
“The governors of the Southeast should collaborate and expedite action in pursuing South East Economic Development Agenda to address myriads of challenges facing the zone.
“We, therefore, urge the NASS to further prevail on the Federal Government to ensure that facilities at the airport are upgraded to truly reflect its international status,” it said.
The communiqué expressed worry over increasing cases of impersonation and quackery in the journalism profession.
It urged practicing journalists to ensure they registered with the union as steps had been taken to setup a taskforce to clampdown on quacks.
“We, however, advocate for more of these opportunities to promote productive engagement with critical stakeholders,” it said.
Edited by Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union