Connect with us

Foreign

Number of COVID-19 cases reaches 584 in Nepal

Published

on

With the single day spike of 68 new cases, the number of COVID-19 cases in Nepal had reached 584, the Nepali Ministry of Health and Population said Saturday.

Nepal has been witnessing a rapid rise in the cases of the COVID-19 in recent days. On Friday, the number of cases in Nepal crossed 500 mark and it was close to 600 on Saturday.

COVID-19 cases in the country have reached 584,” said Bikas Devkota, spokesperson at the Ministry Health and Population, said in a regular press briefing.

“Tracing of those who had come into contact with the newly infected people is underway,” the spokesperson said.

The ministry confirmed 32 new cases in the morning and additional 36 cases in the afternoon.

Nepal has so far reported three deaths from the COVID-19.

As the number of COVID-19 cases keeps rising, the Nepali government has extended the nationwide lockdown till June 2, suspending ground and air transports and shutting down most of the businesses and industries except medical, food and construction related industries.

(XINHUA)

Foreign

Number of working Italians declines in April amid coronavirus lockdown

Published

on

By

The number of Italians with jobs dropped again in April, pushed in part by people who stopped looking for work, Italy’s National Statistics Institute (ISTAT)said Wednesday.

Employment levels in Italy fell in February and again in March due to the economic impact of the global coronavirus pandemic, which started to slow the global economy in February. In March, Italy declared national lockdown due to the coronavirus.

What is unusual about April is that unemployment levels actually dropped, falling to 6.3 percent, its lowest level since 2007. That was down from 8.4 percent unemployment in March.

But the ISTAT said the figure dropped mostly because fewer people were looking for work. On a monthly basis, the number of people actually employed in April dropped by 1.2 percent, representing a loss of 274,000 jobs.

The losses were across the board, including female workers (down 1.5 percent), male workers (down 1.0 percent), independent workers (down 1.3 percent), and across all age groups.

All told, the number of people ISTAT records as “inactive” — those who are unemployed and not looking for work — grew by 5.4 percent, an increase of 746,000 workers compared with March.

Economists are split on what the figures will show for May. Italy carried out methodical easing of lockdown rules starting on May 4 and again on May 18, meaning more shops, restaurants, bars, and other businesses could reopen. That is likely to have created jobs that had been dormant in April, but it may have also increased the number of job-seekers, which would push unemployment figures higher.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Number of COVID-19 cases rise to 316 in Mozambique

Published

on

By

Number of people infected with coronavirus in Mozambique rose to 316, as the country registered nine more positive cases in the past 24 hours, said Rosa Marlene, National Director of Public Health on Wednesday at the daily press conference in Maputo.

The new cases are all of Mozambican nationality, among whom four are asymptomatic and five have mild to moderate symptoms, said the health official.

“We are pleased to report the recovery of 11 more people from COVID-19, of which 10 are from Maputo and one from the province of Cabo Delgado,” said Marlene.

The country now has 109 cases that have fully recovered from the diesease.

Calling for unity in the fight against the pandemic, Rosa Marlene stressed that stigmatization against COVID-19 patients makes prevention more difficult and hinders the screening for infected people.

She said the most prudent thing is to strictly observe preventive measures regardless of whether or not we know our state of health.

“We encourage everyone in quarantine or isolation to strictly comply with preventive measures in a responsible manner,” said Marlene.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Lebanon’s number of COVID-19 infections rises to 1,256

Published

on

By

Lebanon’s number of COVID-19 infections increased on Wednesday by 14 cases to 1,256, while the death toll remained at 27, the National News Agency reported.

Lebanon has reduced general mobilization measures for businesses to reopen given the dire economic circumstances and the companies’ need to generate revenues and cover their expenses.

Fadi al-Hassan, president of Beirut airport, said the airport will not function normally until the end of June.

The government is preparing for airport procedures including social distancing and testing for COVID-19 upon arrival, he added.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Lebanon’s number of COVID-19 infections rises to 1,242

Published

on

By

Lebanon’s number of COVID-19 infections increased on Tuesday by nine cases to 1,242 while the death toll remained unchanged at 27, the National News Agency reported.

Lebanon has reduced general mobilization measures and people are gradually returning to their normal lives with malls and beaches opening their doors again.

However, all the businesses that have reopened are adopting precautionary measures. Citizens are required to wear masks and respect social distancing rules.

The health ministry received on Tuesday 1 million masks from Sanita, a local manufacturer of care products. The masks will be distributed among municipalities and citizens in different regions.

Lebanon has received donations from several countries in its fight against COVID-19.

On May 28, the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) donated surgical face masks, goggles, protective clothing and other medical supplies to the Lebanese army to help combat COVID-19.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zimbabwe records 26 new COVID-19 cases, raising total number in country to 203

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe recorded 26 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 203.

The number of active cases is 170, deaths remain at four while those who have recovered are 29, the Ministry of Health and Child Care said in a statement Tuesday.

According to the Ministry, 25 of the new cases are Zimbabweans who returned from neighboring South Africa and Botswana while one case is a local transmission and a contact of a known confirmed case.

The country has conducted a total of 46,021 tests for COVID-19 since the first case was recorded in March.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Health

Bayelsa records 9 new cases of COVID-19, total confirmed number 21

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Committee on COVID-19 has recorded nine confirmed case among the 307 cases announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, bringing the number of case in the State to 21.

 

The Co-chairman of the Bayelsa State Taskforce on COVID-19, Dr Nathaniel Inodu, made the disclosure in a statement on Monday in Yenogoa.

Yesterday, the NCDC in its usual manner announced 307 new confirmed COVID -19 cases. Nine of these cases were samples from Bayelsa.

“These results are coming from a backlog of 62 samples sent to the UPTH COVID -19 laboratory last week.

“These nine newly confirmed cases bring the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 21. Six out of these nine cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases while three are not epidemiologically linked to any of the previous confirmed cases.

“Two of these fresh unlinked cases are critically ill and were on admission in our public hospitals for other underlying illnesses (one had undergone sessions of dialysis).

”The third unlinked case is a Health Care Professional.

“All nine new cases have since been evacuated for further treatment at our isolation facilities. All their contacts are being line listed and adequately followed up including necessary environmental decontamination.

“Samples have and are still being collected from their high risk contacts while they have all been counselled on self-quarantine. Risk communication and community engagement are ongoing.

“We discharged three cases during the past week. One case was discharged on Saturday, and the two other cases (including the doctor) were discharged just yesterday after all their repeat tests returned negative.

“This makes a total of nine cases that have been discharged from our Isolation facilities. Currently, we have eleven active cases of COVID -19 in the State.

“All cases except the two cases who were previously on admission for other underlying illness are in stable clinical conditions,’’ he said.

Inodu said the state recorded a death last week as the patient who was initially responding to treatment suddenly developed severe shortness of breath.

“All attempts to salvage him proved abortive even with the intensive and delicate procedures that were administered by the attending medical personnel.

“He has since been buried by the Bayelsa State COVID -19 Safe Burial team and witnessed by relatives, friends, and colleagues,” he said.

The Co-chairman said that the State Government Quarantine Facility has since been admitting contacts who were unable to self-quarantine.

Inodu said that they had been very cooperative while enjoying the luxury provided at this centre.

He said that the State Public Emergency Operations Centre (the COVID -19 Situation Room/ War Room of the State response) and the State COVID -19 Task Force were and would remain on REPONSE mode; doing their best to contain and mitigate the impact of the pandemic.

“We now use the UPTH Port Harcourt Reference COVID -19 Laboratory. In the past weeks, we have been sending an average of 25 samples daily to this facility.

“Most of these samples are contacts of confirmed cases. Little wonder our positive figures seem to be on the increase. This is because of our robust surveillance activities and improved testing rates.

“Permit me to seize this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation to all the health care workers particularly the frontlines who have been tireless in their resolve and commitment to the COVID -19 response in the State,” he stated.


Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Number of Ghana’s COVID-19 cases exceeds 8,000

Published

on

By

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ghana has reached 8,070, with 189 more reported as of Sunday, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo said.

The number of deaths related to COVID-19 remains at 36, while 106 more patients have recovered, bringing the total of recoveries to 2,947, the president said late Sunday.

A total of 218,425 tests have been conducted, Akufo-Addo said.

At least 13 infected persons in Ghana are severely ill, with three of them critical, and one is on a ventilator.

The president extended the closure of the country’s entry points to the end of July, to curb imported cases.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Lebanon’s number of COVID-19 infections rises to 1,220

Published

on

By

Lebanon’s number of COVID-19 infections increased on Sunday by 29 cases to 1,220 while death toll went up by one case to 27, the National News Agency reported.

Director General of Beirut airport Fadi Al Hassan announced on Sunday that the airport will reopen in June.

“We are currently preparing for the opening of the airport by adopting barriers to respect social distancing rules,” he said.

Lebanon and China have supported each other in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

In February, Lebanese President Michel Aoun expressed solidarity with China in its battle against the coronavirus.

In return, China has offered help to Lebanon’s anti-coronavirus fight, including the donation of medical equipment to Beirut’s airport, and Lebanon’s Health Ministry.

On April 16, China also donated 3,000 testing kits and 200 manual thermometers to Lebanon.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Nepal reports 189 new COVID-19 cases, total number surpasses 1,400

Published

on

By

The Nepali government confirmed 189 new cases of COVID-19, increasing the total count of cases to 1,401. It is the fifth consecutive day that Nepal witnessed the largest single day spike of COVID-19 cases.

Bikas Devkota, spokesperson at Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population said at a regular press briefing on Saturday that 185 men and four women were confirmed to be infected with novel Coronavius.

Nepal also reported the seventh death from COVID-19 on Saturday. “A 35-year-old man from Dullu Municipality of mid-western Dailekh district, who died on Saturday morning, was tested positive for novel Coronavirus,” Ministry of Social Development under Karnali Provincial government of Nepal said in a press statement on Saturday.

All the deaths have taken place in the last two weeks as the number of cases is rising rapidly in the Himalayan country.

As the number of cases is rising rapidly, the Nepali government on Saturday decided to extend the lockdown till June 14, and continue to suspend cross-border movement of people and air travels till June 30.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also