Cambodia’s famed Angkor Archeological Park attracted 387,840 foreign tourists in the first half of 2020, down 69 percent over the same period last year, said a statement on Wednesday.
The ancient site made gross revenue of 18.09 million United States dollars from ticket sales during the January-June period this year, also down 67 percent over the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise’s statement.
In June alone, the park received 1,747 foreigners earning 71,214 United States dollars from ticket sales, down 98.6 percent and 98.7 percent, respectively compared to the same month last year, it said.
Located in northwest Siem Reap province, the Angkor Archeological Park, inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1992, is the kingdom’s most popular tourist destination.
The sharp decline in foreign tourists to the park was due to the COVID-19 pandemic that had forced the country to impose entry restrictions for all foreign travelers since late March to curb the virus spread.
The Southeast Asian country has so far recorded a total of 141 confirmed COVID-19 cases, mostly imported, and no death has been reported, the Ministry of Health said on Wednesday, adding that currently, 10 out of the patients remain hospitalized.