NYSC Director of Press and Public Relations, Mrs Adenike Adeyemi, said in a statement that the Director General of NYSC, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, gave the advice while commending a corps member, Stephen Teru.
Ibrahim said that Teru deployed his carpentry skills to construct desks and chairs for some schools in his host comunity, Akpampa, Cross River State.
He said that Teru’s selflessness had attracted widespread commendation, with some good Samaritans pledging to support his future endeavours.
He encouraged other corps members to emulate his selfless and patriotic gesture.
“Whenever you are given an opportunity, put in your best and imbibe the virtue of selflessness.
“This corps member not only produced desks for schools in his host community, he also mentored some young people in the community who worked with him.
“He taught them skills and that is empowerment; that is how the NYSC is contributing to the socio-economic development of Nigeria.
“The young man has become an international figure considering the widespread recognition,’’ he said.
Ibrahim urged Nigerians to always tap from potentials of corps members posted to serve in their communities.
“The INEC Chairman has offered to provide employment for corps members who excell in subsequent elections,’’ he said.
Edited by Wale Ojetimi
- Tokyo 2020: Olympic Eagles bounce back to reckoning
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed