The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) says it has renewed partnership with Nigeria Universities Commission (NUC) to add credibility to the mobilisation process and prevent participation of fake graduates from national service.
Brig-Gen. Shuaib Ibrahim, Director-General NYSC made this known when he featured on forum on Thursday in Abuja.
He noted that since his assumption of office, he realised that some of the corps members were returned by their employers to NYSC on the grounds that they were not qualified to teach or some them could not read and so on.
To address the challenge, the NYSC boss said the scheme partnered with Nigeria Universities Commission to organise a meeting with the Registrars and Student Affairs Officers from West African Region some other African countries.
“During the interface with the Registrars and Student Affairs Officers, the scheme reiterated its position that it will not tolerate such practice.
“The good thing that came out of that meeting was that, some of the fake universities from Benin Republic were closed down and the meeting has also strengthened our understanding with NUC,“ he said.
Ibrahim emphasised that any unqualified graduate that made himself or herself available at the orientation camp would be arrested.
He also said that the scheme had arrested several numbers of fake corps members, recently in the last orientation and handed them over to the police for prosecution.
Ibrahim said NYSC also convened a meeting between the NYSC and Vice-Chancellors, Rectors and NYSC mobilisation officers from universities and polytechnics, nationwide, to address the challenge.
He said the meeting was hinged on the need to add credibility on the mobilisation process in the country.
“Under my watch, I cannot tolerate any unqualified person be mobilised for the national service.“
Ibrahim said the scheme had also introduced an indemnity form for list of prospective corps members forwarded to NYSC by institutions.
He explained that in the indemnity form, the institutions would sign, affirming that the list of prospective corps members they forwarded to NYSC was genuine.
According to him, if there are infractions on the list, the institution concerned will be blacklisted from further mobilisation until they put their house together.
The NYSC boss, who disclosed that “Batch C“ orientation would commence by the end of October or first week of November, warned those with fake documents to stay away from the orientation camps.
He further disclosed that the scheme had introduced the inscription of date of birth on the certificate to prevent deliberate repeat of national service.
According to Ibrahim, NYSC has also introduce physical verification of certificates of foreign students in the six-geopolitical zones, saying that those found to be in possession of fake documents will apprehended.
Edited by Dada Ahmed
FG spends N15.8bn on hazard allowances — Ngige
The Federal Government says it has so far spent N15.8 billion on hazard allowances in its teaching hospitals and medical centres across the country.
Sen. Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Employment, disclosed this while addressing newsmen at a meeting with the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) leadership on Monday in Abuja.
Ngige said a resolution has been reached and all disputes resolved, assuring that the federal government was committed to health workers’ safety and welfare.
“The federal government has so far spent N15.8 billion naira for hazard allowances in its teaching hospitals, medical centres and some other non- COVID-19 facilities where doctors have also been treating virus cases.
“Government has cleared the April and May special allowances which is no doubt a big feat, knowing that this is for special allowances only, and at a time its earning has fallen short of the expected earning.
“The affected medical personnel will also draw their normal salaries and other allowances,” he said.
The minister further said that the June allowances were still outstanding because the budget has been affected by developments not originally captured, such as pay for house officers, interns, NYSC doctors and volunteers.
He, however, added that government was already liaising with the Presidential Taskforce to sort out especially for volunteers.
Ngige also said that the 20 per cent top-up for all health personnel inside the COVID-19 wards and isolation centres of the hospitals should be effected as quickly as possible.
He noted that hence, a directive was given to the Ministry of Health and the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation to reconcile all matters relating to the issue by August 4, to enable urgent payment.
He also said the issue of Residency Training Fund was captured in the 2020 budget.
“We noticed that the subhead captured in the service-wide vote will need some amendment by the Budget Office in liaison with the National Assembly to handle the problem, so that implementation can start as soon as possible,” Ngige said.
He also said the government has paid all the premium for Group Life Insurance spanning between April 17, 2020 and April 16, 2021 for all federal civil servants except those in the revenue generating agencies such as customs, FIRS and NNPC who could afford their own insurance.
The minister added that agreement has been reached to forward the nominal roll of the Health Ministry workers and its parastatals to the six handling insurance companies latest next week.
He added that problems arising from the consequential adjustment of the minimum wage in the Health Ministry, especially those on GIFMIS, non-regular staff such as interns and NYSC members, would be resolved as soon as NARD submitted the list of affected workers.
He further said that government would continue to appreciate the untiring efforts of all health workers.
“President Muhammadu Buhari at every time, remembers and thanks you for the immense sacrifice you make for the nation and firmly believes that nothing is too much to do for you to show appreciation.
“Government will do more to protect the health of our people,” Ngige said.
He advised trade unions to always follow due process in seeking redress for disputes, arguing that first in line was negotiation with the parent ministry who was their primary employer.
Dr Aliyu Sokomba, NARD President, commended the government for its commitment and expressed optimism that progress would be made by the time the meeting reconvenes.
The meeting will reconvene on Aug. 6, to take stock of the implementation of the agreement reached.
It also set up a committee to resolve the lingering problem between management of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital and NARD.
The meeting was attended by the Minister of State for Labour, Festus Keyamo, Minister of State for Health, Sen. Olorunimbe Mamora, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Labour and Employment.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
Babalola becomes maiden sitting regent to attend NYSC Camp
The regent of Iboropa-Akoko in Akoko Northeast area of Ondo state, Tinuade Babalola, on Saturday made history by being the first sitting regent to attend the National Youth Service Corps camp in the country.
The excited corps member serving in Minna, Niger state, revealed this via her Instagram account on Saturday, saying that she participated in all the three weeks NYSC Orientation camping activities.
She further disclosed that she also shared pictures of herself in NYSC kits and activities she participated.
She said that none of her fellow corps members discovered that she was a Regent because she blended perfectly and did everything other corps members were supposed to do, excluding domestic labour works.
According to her, she is the first regent to achieve the feat, while still occupying the throne.
She added that NYSC officials in the camp were aware of her identity, but her fellow corps members were not because she blended so well with them.
She wrote, “History was made today I went to camp in Minna, Paiko even though NYSC officials were informed of my coming, my fellow corpers didn’t know my real identity cause I blended so well, and I did everything all other Corps members did with the exemption of domestic work though,”she said.
The regent extended her sincere appreciation to God, her parents, siblings, her chiefs and the people of Iboropa who all supported her during this period.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that regents are usually the first female child of a traditional ruler who assumes the seat after the demise of their father, who is the sitting monarch.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Donald Ugwu (NAN)
Zulum offsets 3,587 corps members’ allowance with N202.6m – Official
Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno has approved the payment of N202.6 million to offset monthly allowances of various batches of serving and outgone corps members in the state.
Godwin-Akaba said that corps members received a monthly stipend of N10,000 each, while the medical corps doctors and paramedics received N100,000 and N50,000 respectively.
He said that N75.4 million was released by the governor within the last one year to pay allowances of 454 medical doctors and paramedics’ corps members serving in the state.
“N127.2 million was equally released to offset allowances of other categories of corps members, numbering 3,133 in the state,’’ he said.
The desk officer said that the provision of good welfare packages to the serving corps members in the state was part of the state government’s drive in motivating them to contribute their quotas to the development of the state.
He said that the government had provided befitting and secured accommodation to all categories of the corps member as incentives by the state government.
He explained that due to challenges occasioned by the insecurity in parts of the state, no corps member was posted to serve in volatile areas.
According to him, the government has been collaborating with security agencies with a view to ensuring the safety, the security of lives and properties of corps members.
Godwin-Akaba said that arrangement has reached advanced stage to resume orientation exercise at the new orientation camp with state of the art facilities by the state government in Maiduguri.
“This came in line with Gov. Zulum’s request when the Director-General of the scheme, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim paid him a visit in 2019.
“The camp has been completed and we are ready for the take-off of the exercise if necessary security clearance is received,’’ he said.
Umar said that the governor is giving priority attention to the safety and welfare of the corps members by providing befitting accommodation to them.
The coordinator told NAN that the corps members, serving in the state, would not relent in contributing to the socio-economic development of the state, most especially, in the areas of healthcare delivery, education and wellbeing of persons affected by the insurgency.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
Oyo NYSC condemns viral video of ex-corps member humiliated by security operatives
Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Oyo State says its attention has been drawn to a viral video of a female ex-corps member arrested by security operatives at the resident of a suspected armed robber/kidnapper in Ibadan.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that a viral video showed how some policemen arrested and dehumanised an ex-corps member, identified as Towobola, in a suspected kidnapper/robber’s house.
Ogbuogebe said the video, which had attracted strong indignation from the public, showed that the action of the law enforcement agents was unacceptable.
“It was quite unfortunate for her to have been turned to a victim of circumstances and an object of ridicule despite the fact that she was not found in any crime scene, neither was anything incriminating discovered on her,” she said.
Ogbuogebe said the manner the operatives were interrogating Towobola about her private life in public glare was unprofessional and suggested a sinister motive.
She called on the Oyo State Police Command to ensure that appropriate disciplinary actions were taken against the operatives to serve as a deterrent to others who might want to exhibit such a tendency.
Also, the Oyo State Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Mr Seun Fakorede, who is the Chairman, NYSC Governing Board in the state, also condemned the act.
Fakorede called for a thorough investigation into the matter, by the police, to ensure justice.
“It could, therefore, be concluded that these officers deliberately humiliated this lady for a reason best known to them.
“This action is unprofessional and capable of bringing the police into disrepute.”
Edited By: Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)