A Coalition of 15 INEC-accredited Civil Society Observer groups has decried the violence that characterised the governorship and senatorial elections in Kogi, but said that the process was “generally fair”.
Mr Peter Nwokolo, National Coordinator, Citizens Right and Leadership Awareness Initiative, at a press conference on Tuesday in Lokoja, decried the anomalies but said that they were not enough to justify calls for the cancellation of the polls.
He decried the incidents of thuggery and associated violence, but praised INEC for identifying and evaluating the overall impact of the incidents on the electoral outcome.
“INEC was right to have taken remedial decisions, including cancellation of votes or scheduling of outright re-runs, in some constituencies,” he said.
Nwokolo particularly decried the violence, ballot box snatching and other forms of disruption by hoodlums some of them in Police uniforms, working for unknown principals.
According to him, “the severity of such incidences were more pronounced in certain areas, particularly Lokoja”.
He also decried “transactional practices” such as vote-buying and voluntary breach of secrecy in voting between voters and agents of political parties.
“Voters and political parties voluntarily exchanged money for votes with the voter contriving to reveal his thumb-printed ballot in order to receive payment,” Nwokolo said.
The coalition called on the Nigeria Police Force and other law enforcement agents to unearth the faceless individuals behind such criminal activities so as to save the nation’s democracy.
Edited by Ephraims Sheyin
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges