The Ogun House of Assembly on Wednesday assured the suspended chairmen of the 20 Local Government Council Areas and 37 Local Council Development Areas of fairness in the ongoing investigation of allegations levelled against them.
Hon. Jemili Akingbade , the Chairman of the House Committee on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, gave the assurance when he hosted the chairmen at the assembly complex in Abeokuta.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the affected chairmen were suspended from office in May by the Assembly following petitions from members of the public bordering on misappropriation of funds.
Akingbade directed that detailed report of their tenure between October, 2016 and May, 2019 should be forwarded to the Assembly on or before Aug. 16.
He said that the report would shed light on some grey areas and aid the Assembly in its investigations.
The lawmaker emphasised that the report should include details of capital projects executed since their assumption of office and the bidding processes of contracts awarded.
” The report should also include full disclosure of all revenues and expenditures for scrutiny by the lawmakers,” he said.
Akingbade added that the Assembly would liaise with appropriate government agencies to ensure that the suspended chairmen had access to relevant records they might require to prepare the report.
In their separate remarks, the Deputy Speaker, Oludare Kadiri, the Minority Leader, Ganiyu Oyedeji, and the member representing Abeokuta South I Constituency, Yusuf Adejojo, promised that the House would ensure holistic consideration of the allegations against the suspended chairmen.
They explained that the process had become necessary in order to promote accountability and transparency in the running of the councils.
The representative of the chairmen, Mr Saheed Alagbe, in his remarks, appealed to the leadership of the assembly to ensure speedy consideration of the issues as their tenure would lapse in October.
- Wrongful death trial over ‘Walking Dead’ stuntman begins
- Israeli parliament set to dissolve itself, head into third elections
- House Democrats announce 2 articles of impeachment against Trump
- Nigeria, Brazil strengthen ties to boost economy, counter insecurity
- Gov. Matawalle warns mischief makers
- NJ Ayuk’s book Billions at Play: The Future of African Energy and Doing Deals now available in Spanish
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members