Ogun government says it has concluded plans to de-worm no fewer than 900,000 school children in the ongoing health awareness programme across 10 local government areas in the state.
Abiodun, who spoke through the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr Adesanya Ayinde, said that the exercise was an opportunity to help children get rid of worms that might make them susceptible to skin and respiratory infections.
He said that a total of 839,273 children were being targeted during the exercise in 4,900 schools across the designated local government areas.
The governor called on parents and guardians to work harmoniously with the health workers, who were saddled with the responsibility of carrying out the exercise.
NAN reports that the second round of the exercise for children between the ages of 5 and 14, which commenced on Nov. 15, will end on Nov. 24.
Contrary to insinuations in some quarters, the governor said that the exercise was meant to enhance the children’s health and help guard against untoward health condition that might result in absenteeism from school.
In her remarks, the state Coordinator, Neglected Tropical Diseases, Dr Islamiyat Soneye, thanked the parents for their enthusiasm towards the school-based de-worming exercise.
She urged them to encourage their wards to take part in the exercise to avoid infecting others.
Soneye noted that parents should endeavour to de-worm their kids in another three months to keep them healthy.
While monitoring the exercise in Odeda council area, the Medical Officer of Health in charge of the area, Dr Olusan Oluwaseun, described the turn-out as impressive.
He assured that all schools within the area would be touched, without leaving any out of the programme.
Oluwaseun appreciated the teachers for their support which, he said, had made the task easy, pointing out that children, who had yet to be de-wormed, would be attended to in the coming days.
Edited by Ekemini Ladejobi and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
- Bangladesh’s top court denies release for jailed ex-premier Zia
- Petroleum ministry warns public to discountenance fake Sylva’s social media accounts
- Tackling gender based violence in Nigeria
- Minimum Wage: NLC prepares for showdown with state governors Dec. 31
- FG to establish community museums to boost tourism – Lai Mohammed
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council