Okowa’s felicitation was conveyed in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olisa Ifeajika on Wednesday in Asaba.
He lauded the former Nigerian leader for his peaceful disposition toward politics, power and issues of life, describing him as “a committed patriot and father of modern democracy’’ in Nigeria.
Okowa said that Jonathan possessed leadership prowess, laced with wisdom, adding that his administration deepened democracy in Nigeria, especially when he conducted a credible election that led to his ouster from office.
According to him, the former president’s exemplary contributions aided the institutionalisation of democracy and improvement of elections in Nigeria through his personal sacrifice and leadership by example.
He said that Jonathan’s place in global history was assured at the backdrop of his famous quote of “my ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian”.
“This he (Jonathan) aptly demonstrated when he made that patriotic but rare telephone call conceding defeat in the 2015 general elections.
“Your Excellency, it gives me pleasure to celebrate you for your continuous role in deepening democracy in our dear country.
“Your administration will long be remembered in history as the government that epitomised the rule of law and freedom of expression as there were no records of human rights abuses when you led the country.
“The government of Delta under my watch will continue to leverage on the peaceful disposition, legacies of leadership, solidarity and support of accomplished highly respected statesmen and committed patriots like you as we vigorously pursue our Stronger Delta Agenda.
“I join your family, friends and well-wishers to thank Almighty God for His continued guidance, protection and provision for you in the past 62 years of a life of forthrightness and great accomplishments,” he said. .
Edited by Buhari Bolaji/Ese E. Ekama (NAN)
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars