Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta has congratulated former President Goodluck Jonathan as he turns 62.
Okowa’s felicitation was conveyed in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olisa Ifeajika on Wednesday in Asaba.
He lauded the former Nigerian leader for his peaceful disposition toward politics, power and issues of life, describing him as “a committed patriot and father of modern democracy’’ in Nigeria.
Okowa said that Jonathan possessed leadership prowess, laced with wisdom, adding that his administration deepened democracy in Nigeria, especially when he conducted a credible election that led to his ouster from office.
According to him, the former president’s exemplary contributions aided the institutionalisation of democracy and improvement of elections in Nigeria through his personal sacrifice and leadership by example.
He said that Jonathan’s place in global history was assured at the backdrop of his famous quote of “my ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian”.
“This he (Jonathan) aptly demonstrated when he made that patriotic but rare telephone call conceding defeat in the 2015 general elections.
“On behalf of the government and people of Delta, I congratulate our leader and statesman, Dr Goodluck Jonathan as he celebrates his 62nd birth anniversary.
“Your Excellency, it gives me pleasure to celebrate you for your continuous role in deepening democracy in our dear country.
“Your administration will long be remembered in history as the government that epitomised the rule of law and freedom of expression as there were no records of human rights abuses when you led the country.
“The government of Delta under my watch will continue to leverage on the peaceful disposition, legacies of leadership, solidarity and support of accomplished highly respected statesmen and committed patriots like you as we vigorously pursue our Stronger Delta Agenda.
“I join your family, friends and well-wishers to thank Almighty God for His continued guidance, protection and provision for you in the past 62 years of a life of forthrightness and great accomplishments,” he said. .
Edited by Buhari Bolaji/Ese E. Ekama (NAN)
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Students urge FG to take proactive measures for schools reopening
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Environmentalist ticks out govt. for inability to enforce environmental policies
- Ebonyi inaugurates committee to recruit 13,000 for FG’s Special Works Programme
- Farm inputs: Women farmers laud Gov. Buni
- Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders —- Guardiola
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects