Benjamin Okuomose and Uzoamaka Otuadinma have won the +80kg and +67kg categories at the Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship respectively.
The event which was conducted in the Olympic weight category format was held at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium in Abuja.
Okuomose of the Nigerian Army defeated five others in the +80kg weight category to secure the gold medal on Saturday.
“The outcome of this competition will inspire me and help me train more next year.
“It is a good one for me to round up the year with a gold medal.
“The event was very competitive for me because we have very good athletes in this category but am thankful for the victory,” Okuomose said.
On her part, Otuadinma was happy to have won the gold medal in spite of her being unprepared.
“I was not really prepared for this competition because I didn’t train for it, but experience was probably an advantage for me.
“However, I am happy to have won and finished the year on a high note,’’ she said.
Onofe emerged in second place while Kenneth Ogbu of Chika Chukwumerije Sports Foundation (CCSF) and Chukwudi Nzelu of Oyo State jointly finished in third place.
Abdulmujeeb Sanusi of Q-Madi and Lawan Mohammed of Kano jointly won the bronze medal in the competition.
(Edited by: Olawale Alabi)
Watch Live News
- PDP calls for policy statement on subsidy removal
- EU wants to help Africa, others fight coronavirus with €15 bn
- Yobe Aluminum, Flour, Feeds factories begin production
- Ecuador’s former President Correa sentenced to 8 yrs in prison
- Lockdown: NUJ warns against harassing journalists
- Reactions trail bill seeking 2-month free power supply
- Covid 19: Kano debunks rumoured case of Covid 19 in the state
- Lockdown: FCT minister threatens tougher measures over violations
- Tinubu condoles with Wamakko over brother’s death
- Kebbi Gov’s wife takes COVID-19 sensitisation to christian worship centres