The old students association of Government Secondary School (GSS) Ilorin has donated some sports equipment to the school as part of efforts aimed at reviving sports activities in
At the equipment’s presentation/commissioning on Wednesday at the school premises, the school’s 1985 set led by Mohammed Akanbi presented equipment for six sports.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the equipment are those for basketball, cricket, scrabble, badminton, tennis and volleyball.
Speaking on behalf of the group, Wale Obalola, a member of the association, said the 1985 class deemed it fit to make the presentation to complement the school’s already-constructed facilities.
He added that the effort was also aimed at keeping the school, particularly the students, relevant in sports in the state and the country at large.
“The class of 85 came together and brainstormed on how to ensure the school continues to thrive in sports. So, we decided to purchase these equipment to complement the facilities on ground.
“We also realised that at the end of the examinations in the school, the students usually have little or nothing to do.
“But with these facilities and equipment on ground, the students will be fully engaged, instead of roaming around,’’ Obalola, who is also who also manager of the Kwara Sports Stadium Complex in Ilorin, said.
Reacting to the gesture, Tiamiyu Bashir, the school’s Acting Principal of GSS, described it as a remarkable feat.
“We have now readjusted the school’s academic system and programme to accommodate sports activities.’’
He assured that the school would make a massive and good use of the facilities and equipment to keep the students active in sports.
NAN reports that several staff of the school and members of the old students association were present at the occasion, alongside officials from Kwara’s Ministry of Sports.(NAN)
(Edited by Olawale Alabi)
- We are working to repair dilapidated NYSC orientation camp road – Ganduje
- Land border closure undermining nation’s economy- ADP chieftain
- Research institute trains 120 farmers on home garden in Kano state
- Kogi guber poll : Wada rounds off campaign, promises to banish poverty
- House of Reps directs c’ttees to address escalating negative impact of crude oil spillage
- Director urges students to take interest in agriculture
- Physiotherapists to support FG on curbing health tourism
- EU slams Turkey for re-arresting prominent journalist Altan
- NGO lauds Pantami’s Digital Economy ideas
- Premier Li stresses workplace safety
- NIMASA donates educational materials to schools
- GIS Day: EEDC launches ‘addressing solution application’ for South-East
- NSE market capitalisation loses N56bn on profit taking
- IOC President arrives Nigeria to rousing welcome
- Company to construct 160 shops in New Haven market, Enugu
- FEC okays additional capital increase for Nigeria at International Reconstruction bank
- Emzor pledges continued support for Lagos Women Run
- Lawmakers raise alarm over irregularities in Zamfara Social Intervention Programme
- Roman Polanski’s new film hits French screens amid controversy
- Zimbabwe bans electric geysers in bid to save power