Connect with us

General news

Ondo 2020: Akeredolu deserves re-election – LG boss

Published

on

Ondo 2020: Akeredolu deserves re-election – LG boss

Mr Abayomi Adesanya, the Caretaker Chairman, Okitipupa Local Government Area (LGA) of Ondo State says Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu deserves to be re-elected.


Adesanya, who made the statement while addressing a group of women in Okitipupa on Friday, said this was because of the infrastructure development witnessed in the state.

The chairman hosted some women under the aegis of All Progressives Congress (APC) from Southern district of the state comprising the 66 wards in the district.

He noted that the governor had recorded a giant stride in infrastructure development of the state.

He said the governor made the remarkable stride in spite of the dwindling economy, poor revenue and huge debts inherited by the Akeredolu administration at inception.

“The governor has been able to transform the state through massive infrastructure development across the 18 local government areas of the state,” Adesanya said.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the women, under the leadership of Mrs Morenike Witherspoon and Mrs Mosun Odukale, the State Women Leader and Southern District Women Leader respectively, aimed at mobilising women for the re-election bid of Akeredolu who of the APC.

Adesanya also noted that Akeredolu was gender-friendly and had been giving women their rightful place in politics and governance.

He urged the women to turn out enmasse to ensure Akeredolu wins the primary slated for July 22 and eventually return to the state house.

“Akeredolu is also gender -riendly and that is why women are given their rightful position in politics and governance, I urge you all turn to out enmasse and ensure that Akeredolu is re-elected because he deserves it,” Adesanya said.

In her remarks, Witherspoon thanked the women leaders for their Initiative to bring women together and for their support toward the re-election of Akeredolu.

She assured them that the governor and the First Lady would continue to place priority on issues relating to women, listing the BRECAN Foundation and Widows Initiative as First Lady’s pet projects designed to bring succour to women in the state.

Odukale in her goodwill message appreciated all the women leaders for their continued support for the Aketi Mandate which she described as very encouraging and unprecedented.

The occasion was well attended by Mr Nicholas Akinbola and Mr Otito Atikase, Caretaker Chairmen, Irele and Ilaje LGAs respectively and Mrs Mary Adesanya, wife of Okitipupa LGA Chairman.

Others include wives chairmen of Irele, Ilaje, Odigbo, Ese-Odo, Ile-Oluji/Oke-Igbo LGAs, comprising the six LGAs in the Southern Senatorial District of the state.

Edited By: Emmanuel Nwoye/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)

Aderemi Bamgbose: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

Ondo: We don’t substitute nominated candidates -INEC

Published

on

By


The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it does not substitute  nominated candidates of the African Action Congress (AAC) or any other party’s nominations for Ondo governorship election.


 

The commission made the clarification in a statement issued by Mr Festus Okoye, INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee on Monday in Abuja.

“On July 31, INEC published the provisional list of candidates for the Ondo State governorship election scheduled for  Oct. 10 in its state office in Akure and also uploaded same to its website and social media platforms.

“The list contains the names of the governorship and deputy governorship candidates submitted by 17 political parties, including the AAC at the close of nomination on  July 28.

“However, one of the aspirants in the primaries of the party accused the commission of substituting his name as the rightful governorship candidate of the party, while another aspirant also claimed that the commission substituted his deputy governorship candidate.

“Contrary to these assertions, INEC did not substitute the name of any aspirant or candidate.

“The commission received only one submission from the AAC through its dedicated online portal for candidate nomination.

“There was no human interface. The names uploaded on the portal by the political parties were the same names published.

“The commission only receives the names of candidates and running mates from the National Headquarters of Political Parties, duly signed by both the national chairman and national secretary,”  Okoye said.

He said that by the Supplementary Regulations and Guidelines for Activities of Political Parties issued by the commission on  June 9, the national chairmen and national secretaries of political parties as contained in the commission’s records shall be issued access codes to the commission’s portal.

He said that only the two party leaders had access for the electronic submission, withdrawal and substitution of names and particulars of their candidates as elected at party primaries monitored by the commission.

“The political parties shall use the access codes provided by the commission to upload the names and particulars of their candidates based on the prescribed Forms EC9 (formerly EC CF 001) and the appropriate Form EC9 (A) – (G) series (formerly CF 002) as provided on the commission’s website.

“The completed forms EC9 and EC9 (A) – (G) series, signed by the national chairman and national secretary of the political party, are uploaded to the commission’s prescribed portal along with the relevant covering letter addressed to the chairman of the commission,” he said.

Okoye said that  INEC did not deal directly with aspirants, candidates or state branches of political parties in matters relating to the nomination, submission and substitution of candidates of political parties.

He said that such action was the exclusive preserve of the political parties as represented by the national chairman and national secretary.

“The commission duly published the names of the governorship and deputy governorship candidates as submitted by the national chairman and secretary of the AAC.

“Aspirants, candidates and state branches of political parties, with issues or challenges relating to their nominated candidates should approach and resolve such issues with the national chairmen and secretaries of their respective political parties,” Okoye said.

AAC National Chairman,  Dr Leonard Nzenwa in a separate statement, confirmed that  the name of of the party’s deputy governorship candidate for the  Ondo governorship election, published by INEC was the authentic name submitted to the commission by the party.

He said that the names of the candidates published by INEC were the ones submitted by the party to the commission as empowered by the party’s Constitution and Electoral Act 2010 (As Amended).

 “The party wishes to make it clear that the party’s leadership, through its national headquarters submitted names of its candidates to the commission.

“It is within powers of the party’s chairman and its leadership to exercise this task as it has nothing to do with the INEC or any other stakeholder for that matter,” he said.

Nzenwa  enjoined party faithful to remain calm, law-abiding and continue to work to  uplift the party.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Kayode Olaitan (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: PTF, INEC working on elections protocols-  PTF Chairman

Published

on


The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) are currently working out the guidelines and protocols for the forthcoming elections in Nigeria.


Mr Boss Mustapha, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman PTF on COVID-19, made this known on Monday in Abuja.

Mustapha said: “The national response will continue to guide the adoption of the sector’s specific guidelines and protocols.

“This is just as the PTF is currently concluding discussions with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on the appropriate guidelines to be adopted for elections in some parts of the country.

“The elections will begin with the Aug. 8 by-election in Nasarawa State, to be followed by Edo and Ondo State elections in September and October respectively.

“I, therefore, wish to use this opportunity to implore parties’ leaders, aspirants, members and their supporters to remain mindful of the virulent nature of COVID-19 during electioneering and other election processes.

“We need to remain alive to enjoy the benefits of our democracy.”

He also stated that the PTF would continue to push forward with the community engagement, risk communication and support to the states.

“There is an ongoing surveillance in the high-burden local government areas, just as we ramp up our precision efforts.

“Similarly, the Federal Government is supporting the states to firm up their Incidence Action Plans, preparatory to their accessing the World Bank facility for the fight against COVID-19,” Mustapha said.

Meanwhile, the SGF said that the PTF would submit its Sixth Interim Report to President Muhammadu Buhari.

According to him, subject to the President’s approval, the report would be presented with the way forward to Nigerians at the next briefing on Aug. 6.

Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

Doctors suspend strike in Ondo

Published

on


The Medical doctors under the auspices of the National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners (NAGGMDP), in Ondo State on Monday suspended it one month old strike.


The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that doctors, who are employed by the state government, withdrawn their services on June 24, over unpaid allowances.

In a statement, the State Chairman of NAGGMDP, Dr. Oluwafemi Aina on Monday said the strike was suspended after the government acceded to some of their demands

The union, which is an affiliate of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), commended the state Governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredou and his team for also meeting the demands of other health workers.

The doctors, however, implored the state government to address their other demands,  which include: immediate domestication of the Special COVID-19 Hazard and Risk (Life) Insurance for all doctors, who were part of the frontline health care providers in the state.

The doctors also demand for immediate circulation and institutionalisation of the modalities of the already begun deductions of doctors salaries into the National Housing Fund Contributions by workers in the State’s public service.

The doctors are demanding for the payment of the remaining Special COVID-19 Hazard and Risk Allowances and payment of arrears of the Minimum Wage and consequential adjustments of basic salaries, which other non Health Public Servants in the state have been enjoying since January 2020.

Aina assured the state government that members of the association will continue to discharge their duties with passion.

Edited  by Edith Bolokor/Felix Ajide

 

Continue Reading

General news

Ondo spends N3.13bn on workers’ allowances, hazard bonus

Published

on


The Ondo State Government on Monday said it had spent over N3.13 billion to offset the outstanding allowances of workers and medical staff in the state.


Mr Donald Ojogo, the state’s Commissioner for Information and Orientation, disclosed this on Monday in Akure.

“The agreement for the payment was the outcome of last month’s (July) meeting between Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu and union leaders in the state,” Ojogo said.

He said Akeredolu had last week approved that the outstanding allowances be paid following the conclusion of the series of meetings brokered by the Head of Service, Mr Dare Aragbaiye.

“Part of the resolution was that the July allocation from the Federation Account should be used to offset these allowances.

“Some of the already cleared outstanding allowances include deductions, leave bonuses as well as pensions,” he added.

Ojogo also revealed that 30 per cent of consolidated basic salary as hazard allowance for Medical Health Workers were also paid.

(
Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Businessman docked over alleged N3.9m fraud Spurs’ Rose says tired of police stopping him several times Police in Jigawa record low crime rate in 6 months Japanese PM pledges swift aid to areas affected by torrential rains – Reports UK immigration to EU bloc nations up 30% since Brexit, naturalisations jump – Research Court sentences driver to 2 years in prison for stealing car Court sentences 2 labourers to 4 years imprisonment each for stealing Dollar slips after political wrangling slows rally Early voting in Belarusian presidential election begins Gov Tambuwal frees 17 inmates in Sokoto Crew of UN plane that hard-landed in Mali to be evacuated to Bamako  Chileans say goodbye to plastic bags in shops for good BP posts second-quarter post-tax loss of $16.8bn Revival of ailing industries will strengthen currency -Expert China’ll not accept United States’ ‘theft’ of TikTok, says state media S/Korea’s heavy rain leaves 13 dead, 13 missing for 4 days Lobbying for Russian pipeline spikes in Washington Survey: Germans largely in favour of US troops withdrawing Nippon Steel to appeal South Korea ruling allowing seizure of assets Hurricane Isaias makes landfall with stronger than expected winds Oil prices fall as rising coronavirus case numbers cast shadow over fuel demand pickup Algeria to reopen mosques for public – President N. Ireland peace broker, Nobel laureate, John Hume dies at 83 NFF appoints caretaker committee for Anambra FA Liverpool’s title win a ‘gift that keeps on giving’, says owner Henry Third term Resumption: Private schools have right to charge fees – Minister COVID-19: FG to develop innovative interventions to improve survival chances COVID-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, total now 44,129, with 896 deaths Sri Lankan police probe use of cat to smuggle drugs to prison New York prosecutor investigating Trump for fraud in fight over tax records Asaba film village, leisure park will boost economy, create jobs – Okowa COVID-19: SON, committee review safety guidelines for tourism sector resumption Ondo: We don’t substitute nominated candidates -INEC Buhari greets retired AVM Shekari at 80 Nigeria’s candidate for WTO chief prioritizes fixing dispute settlement system if selected COVID-19 test no longer a requirement for resumption of students in Ogun — Abiodun PDP advises Oshiomhole not to overheat Edo polity Edo 2020: PDP Chieftain, Afegbua, pledges support for APC’s Ize-Iyamu Buhari mourns Khalifa Tidiane Niass, Senegal-based Islamic leader Imo police parade traditional ruler over alleged kidnapping We’re working to ensure Nigerians have access to COVID-19 vaccines when available – NCDC Buhari writes Funtua’s family, says he’s pillar of support to his govt. NDA screening test to hold Aug. 15 – Registrar COVID-19: Nigeria donates PPEs worth N67m to Sao Tome and Principe Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off WAEC: Kano Govt. to fumigate 528 schools Resumption: FCTA fumigates schools, distributes face masks, sanitiser NNPC mourns former GMD, Dawha School feeding programme gulps over N500m during Lockdown – Minister Custodian Investment moves to purchase 51% equity stake in UPDC