The Peoples’ Democratic Party, on Friday, said two out of its nine aspirants, failed the screening exercise for the gubernatorial primaries.
Chairman of the Screening Committee for Ondo Governorship Election and former Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, announced this to newsmen in Abuja.
Dogara, who did not disclosed names of aspirants who failed the screening, said the affected aspirants still have opportunity to appeal.
He said that the purpose of the screening was to ensure that anybody, who passes through the screening, would have almost been like a bankable case that could not be challenged anywhere.
Dogara said that the team analytically looked at all the claims made and documents submitted by the aspirants and had completed it assignment.
“Unfortunately, in this case, I am not happy to report this to you that about two aspirants failed the test, the litmus tests that we applied.
“But that is not to say that they have been disqualified, because we don’t have the powers to disqualify anybody, Dogara said.
According to him, there is still the opportunity of redress at the appeal panel, which will sit on Monday.
“So, if any of the two candidates that didn’t pass the screening feels that maybe some kind of miscarriage of Justice was done, will have the opportunity of appeal.
“Such candidate is entitled to launch that appeal from now onwards as soon as he picks the outcome of what we have done.
“By Monday, they have appellate body to look at it and if they feel that they are qualified, they could be cleared.
“But as far as we are concerned, having applied all the tools that we have and the guidelines given to us, two of our candidates did not make it.’’
Dogara said that the certificate of clearance were already available for pickup by the aspirants who passed.
The aspirants screened by the committee were the incumbent Deputy Governor of the state, Dr Agboola Ajayi, Eyitayo Jegede, Sen. Boluwaji Kunlere, Dr Eddy Olafeso, Ben Okunomo, Bode Ayorinde, Otunba Bamidele Akingboye, Mr Godday Erewa and Mr Sola Ebiseeni.
Meanwhile, the party in official verified twitter handle, announced Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers State as its Chairman of Edo State Governorship Election National Campaign Council Chairman.
The party also said that the Deputy Chairman of the council was the Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa.
Edited By: Angela Okisor/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
- NAIC, AFAN partner to insure 40m farmers against flood, other disasters
- Lagos Assembly proposes N20m licence fee for lottery, betting operators
- Lagos govt charges Lagosians to plant coconuts trees
- Edo unemployment rate declines to 19% under Obaseki’s job creation drive-official
- PDP reconstitutes Kaduna State caretaker committee
- Nasarawa Deputy Governor tasks journalists on investigative reportage
- Sales rep docked over alleged theft of employer’s goods worth N430,000
- Shop owners, traders lament as Kuje Council demolishes structures
- LASG reverses 10% service charge for trips on e-hailing platforms
- Unilag ASUU says no going back in rejection of VC’s removal