The Alliance for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (ASDA) has called for Benin Republic President Patrice Talon’s resignation, saying he has lost the trust of the people.
The Chairman of ASDA, Dr Prosper Agbesi, made this call at a news conference held on the sideline of 55th Summit of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government on Saturday in Abuja.
ASDA is a continental civil society organisation, which promotes credible elections and participatory democracy on the continent.
Dr Prosper Agbesi,who is the presidential candidate of the Alliance for New Congress (ANC) and a key opposition leader in the 2016 country’ elections said he was speaking on behalf of other political oppositions in the country.
According to him, political oppositions have come together to save the country, to avert a physical showdown between unarmed civilians and armed agents of a repressive government led by a proven unethical leader.
“ We have a president whose company runs our ports, the cotton (industry); our Customs does not run the revenue but his company, his company is called `Benin Control’.
“Can you have something like that in Nigeria where President Buhari’s company is running the revenue?
“The cotton is him, the hotel (industry) is him, there is no job for our people, now they are killing our people in the country, we don’t have any help,’’ he said.
Agbesi also called for President Talon’s resignation saying he has lost the trust of the people of Benin.
“This man has lost the trust of our people; there is no more trust between us and him.
“He just needs to resign and we are going to put in place a government of unity. We don’t want violence, we don’t want confrontation, and we just want him to resign.
“We also want a re-election of the parliament, and we want all our people in exile to come home”.
According to him, ‘more than half of our people are out of the country in exile in the neighbouring countries, I had to go and help some of them the last time’.
“The people of Benin are mourning as we speak and that there is no hope for the people.
“Our people are mourning because we have an illegal parliament; we have someone who has taken over every institution in our country.
“Benin has transformed into a one party state, the over ten political parties in opposition have no single representation at all in the country’s 83-member legislature.
“The national assembly members were barred from contesting the most recent parliamentary elections held in march, through the sudden and unconstitutional changes to the electoral code introduced a month to the elections’’.
He said that right now, Talon is ruling without any legislative checks and balances whatsoever.
He alleged that it was instructive that the new legislature, comprising entirely members of the president’s party and his closest political allies, was elected into office by just 27 per cent of the registered electorate.
According to him, this translates into less than 10 per cent of the country’s entire population,’’ he said.
While thanking President Muhammadu Buhari for his intervention so far in the country, he asked for more help to restore democracy in Benin.
“The step that Buhari has taken is noble. We must thank him for putting his foot down for the former president to be released from prison, he was sick.
“A former president was kept under house arrest for 54 days without telling us the charges. We thank President Buhari for what he is doing in Benin, but it is not enough.
“We are very honorable people as Benin people and yet you have from 18 to 40 years old people filling all the prisons in Benin, and this is the first time this is happening.”
Agbesi said that if given the opportunity to rule Benin, he would work together with Nigeria for the benefit of the two countries.
He stressed the need to use this opportunity to tell the leadership of Nigeria that Benin and Nigeria constitute an integral economy.
“If I take over (leadership), I’m telling Nigeria that this is your place, let us do business together. Gone are those days when small countries insist on autonomy in every area of life.
“I want to be called the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Benin, because we have to integrate our economy by first of all growing our country’s GDP.
He alleged that Talon and his cabal were making open their bid for autocratic, unchallenged power in Benin.
He said that democracy is being forcibly discarded and replaced with autocracy, right before their very eyes, adding that this has been on for several years now but over the past few months, it has exploded into an open agenda.
“The overwhelming majority of the people who are actively protesting are being met with armed force, getting injured, maimed and even killed on the streets of their own country by agents of the very government which claims it is in office through the mandate these people gave it.
“This is why, we, the political opposition have come together to save our country, to avert a physical showdown between unarmed civilians and armed agents of a repressive government led by a proven unethical leader”.
He said that fundamental human rights, such as freedom of expression and association have, to all intents and purposes been revoked.
He also called on The Kingdom of Morocco to leave Benin alone and stop supporting president Talon.
“Morocco must stay away, we have strong information that the people who are backing the dictator of Benin are from Morocco: people are dying over there and they are sitting at the same table with them,’’ he said.
- Gov. Makinde says inter-agency security collaboration has boosted security in Oyo state
- 2 bodies recovered from scene of fresh Lagos pipeline explosion -NEMA
- Land owners protest over inadequate compensation in Nasarawa
- Liverpool move 16 points clear after beating Manchester United
- Abia, Anambra PDP protest Supreme Court’s verdict on Ihedioha
- Sokoto communities organise special prayers ahead of Supreme Court judgment
- Go make us proud at NSF 2020 Zonal Prelims in Kwara, Nasarawa charges 160-member contingent
- Kwara holds welcome service in honour of Jerusalem pilgrims
- Presidency explains Finance Act 2019
- TCN working assiduously to repair damaged equipment in Maiduguri
- Tanzania connects 5 regions to natural gas
- Gov. AbdulRazaq says study of history key to national development
- 3-year-old Ibadan Chieftaincy crisis finally resolved – Olubadan
- Nigeria to assist Equatorial Guinea in modular refineries’ development
- Group plans to mobilise South-East people into APC mainstream politics
- Makinde, others visit late Lekan Are’s family in Ibadan
- NPFL: Kano Pillars beat Akwa United 2-0
- NPFL: Rangers humbles Abia Warriors 3-1 to climbs out of relegation
- Banditry: Minister to partner Zamfara govt. to support victims
- NPFL Round 16: Plateau United trashes Adamawa United 5-0
- Stakeholders condemn setting Nsukka PDP office on fire
- Police debunks media report on death of 30, abduction of 100 in Kaduna
- Music Review: Lil Kesh’s ‘ Kowope’ battles shallow lyrics
- Buhari makes case for a Commonwealth “based on trade”
- EPL: Burnley fight back to sink Leicester City
- Team Nigeria wins 11 medals at African Track Championship
- Minister seeks Private Sector’s collaboration on Methanol fuel production
- Olubadan mourns renowned industrialist, Are
- Westwood wins 25th European Tour title
- Buhari condoles with family of Lekan Are
- Economists speak on expectations ahead of MPC meeting
- FRSC confirms 3 dead, 1 injured as vehicle rams into tricycle in Onitsha
- How corrupt dealers ruined our yuletide with stone filled rice – Residents
- Sokoto: Army reaffirms commitment in tackling security challenges
- LSSC holds sensitisation rally, seals off defective building in Lagos
- We’re not taking our customers back to estimated billing – EEDC
- Police nab 26-year-old mother for faking own kidnap
- Gas explosion: NSCDC sets up team to enforce compliance to safety standards in Jigawa
- SERAP wants stoppage of life pension payment to ex-AMAC chairmen, speakers
- Lekki/Ikoyi Bridge: Lagos govt. begins full implementation of cashless toll Jan. 20
- Our economy big enough for a bigger capital market – SEC DG
- Harmattan: NGO distributes 350 cardigans to IDPs in Kaduna
- Clean-Up: Task Force impounds 29 vehicles in Lagos
- AbdulRazaq felicitates Kwara APC chieftain on conferment of traditional title in Ghana
- Resident doctors want law to protect health workers against assault
- Oke-Ogun students benefit from businessman’s multimillion naira bursary/scholarships
- LAWMA to create `Wall of Shame’ for environmental offenders- Spokesperson
- Troops arrest suspected arms dealer in Kaduna
- NCDMB, Waltersmith to support Equatorial Guinea on modular refinery devt
- Boroffice empowers women with grinding machines, cash in Ondo
- LCCI urges FG not to make adoption of `Eco’ priority
- Institute wants speedy assent to forensic bill to prevent fraud, corruption
- Old students to build library for DFSS Agege
- Akpabio inaugurates N1.69bn erosion control project in A’Ibom
- Nigeria, potential hub for organic agriculture in Africa–Official
- Kaduna agency honours 15 taxpayers for timely remittance
- Ajimobi mourns late elder statesman Lekan Are
- NAN Box Office Analysis: Is Nollywood undermining the cinema market?
- Menstrual Hygiene: Foundation supports young girls, children in Jigawa
- Alumni association promises to use expertise to develop business community
- Poultry: District head lauds association for vaccinating local chickens
- DPR seals 10 illegal gas stations in Osun
- Music Review: Fireboy crowns single ‘Need You’ with an emotional visual
- Gov. Lalong approves layouts for servicemen in Plateau
- Cleric advises Christians to live peaceful, holy lives
- Emir of Muri urges mutual understanding, forgiveness among Taraba warring factions
- Don advises Muslim faithful on children’s Qur’anic education
- African Development Bank to invest $250m on water, sanitation in FCT
- Supreme Court Judgement: Anxiety in Bauchi as politicians spend sleepless nights in mosques
- DPR seals five petrol, gas stations in Kogi for cheating
- C/River destroys illegal structures in Etim-Edem Park
- WASA: Commander tasks soldiers on discipline
- Smuggling: NIS intercepts 42 bags of foreign rice at Kankara
- Nigeria’s border closure not to punish neighbours – Buhari
- Buhari symathises with Emir of Pokiskum, Umaru Bubaram, over bandits’ attack
- NiMet predicts dust haze condition for Sunday
- Nigeria targets first 70 by 2023 in ease of doing business — SGF
- Prof. Mallam, killed in Kaduna gas explosion buried
- Golf: 3 Div organises special kitty to honour fallen heroes
- My faith remains strong in Nigeria, democracy – Ihedioha
- How to prevent full-blown attack of migraine headache – Expert
- Presidential aide commends FG’s reform of justice sector
- Minister praises Adekuroye for Gold feat in Rome
- Institute to revoke certificates of non performing members
- Minister tasks Nigerians on patriotism, commitment to nation building
- 608 repentant Boko Haram insurgents currently undergoing rehabilitation- military
- APC governors forum urges Nigerians to defend judiciary
- NANTS demands comprehensive costs, benefits analysis on ECO currency
- Don calls for adoption of Malikiyya law in sharia courts
- Kwara Govt didn’t ban religious activities in public schools – CAN
- Zamfara APC commends members for perseverance
- Niger Delta ministry reiterates commitment to partner Abia Govt. on infrastructural devt
- Capacity building, infrastructure crucial to tourism development – Expert
- Kidnappings: Minister urges Nigerians to reduce desperation for money
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Kwara govt constitutes White Paper committees on KWASU, environment
- Staff fitness crucial to organisation’s performance, NNPC GMD says at sports fiesta
- Barack Obama eulogises wife as she turns 56
- Chief of Air Staff commends Logistics Command after inspecting capital projects in Lagos
- Handball coach says, `Ban lifted, I am still ready to work`
- Medical outreach: 5,000 patients get free treatment in Adamawa
- BCDA executes 38 projects in Katsina, inaugurates health centre
- Lagosians express concerns following NAFDAC’s alert on using Paracetamol for food preparation
- Chronic Leg Ulcer affects 10 per cent of sickle cell patients- NGO
- Diabetes increases risk of eye diseases – Ophthalmologist
- Lekan Are, foremost Nigerian agronomist, dies at 86
- NUJ President commends FG’s fight against insurgency
- LCCI to collaborate with brokers to promote insurance
- Lassa fever: Medical Expert cautions against drinking Garri
- Access Bank secures final approval for Kenyan Transnational Bank acquisition
- UNIPORT gets 37 new professors
- Gov. Dickson inaugurates Golf Course as Int’l Open Invitational Tournament ends in Bayelsa
- Kebbi govt. inaugurates committee for 2020 Argungu Fishing festival
- ECO Currency: NANTS urges FG, ECOWAS to address corruption, other key priorities
- Rotary Club donates medical equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Yuletide: Road accidents claim 31 lives in Ogun
- A’Ibom Govt. donates relief materials to fire victims
- Niger govt. to partner NGOs on youth empowerment – Official
- Greenhouses protect crops from ultraviolet sun rays, pests – Expert
- 5,070 suspects arrested in 2019 for crimes, says Edo Police Command
- Recapitalisation: NIA lauds NAICOM, urges insurers to take advantage of extension
- Re-Run Election: LG chairman warns voters against violence
- Gov. Abiodun promises better relationship with students
- Gunmen kill 2 in Kaduna community
- Retired Nurse urges parents to allow their children to be de-wormed
- Enugu State Govt. trains 65 youths on tomatoes production technology —Official
- Gombe: NGO advocates stronger environmental laws to check indiscriminate felling of trees
- FG soon to direct public broadcasting outfits to priotise disability matters
- Umuahia armed robbery victim dies from gunshot wounds — Deceased’s brother
- Pregnancy: Gynaecologist stresses importance of ANC
- Global Fund: Health minister harps on 3 pillars for effective coordination
- CBN, Ekiti Govt. pledge to support NACOTAN for massive cotton production
- Nasarawa Govt. seeks stronger synergy with SWAN
- Gov. El-Rufai inaugurates Milk Farm Project for 1000 households
- Lafia specialist hospital to begin training of doctors on residency – CMD
- TCN restores supply after system collapse
- Coronation: Emir of Lafia tasks new traditional ruler on fairness, justice
- Prosecute perpetrators of violence, NMA charges members
- HIV: FG approves Omega Visitect CD4 Rapid Test Kit
- FG feeds 194,707 pupils in Enugu
- Buhari, First Lady counsel Garba Shehu’s son on patience in marriage
- New waterfront commissioner promises viability of Lagos waterways
- NIS inaugurates central store at headquarters
- LASEMA confirms building collapse, fire outbreak in Lagos
- Nasarawa speaker tasks community on unity, peaceful co-existence
- Kano State Fire Service gets Acting Director
- LASG calls for environmental protection, behavioural change
- CP parades 2 child traffickers, recovers 9 children in Enugu
- Japan’s suicide rate drops for 10th straight year to record low in 2019
- We will not tolerate personnel excesses in 2020 -Edo CP
- Human Trafficking: Omolola Ajayi arrives Abuja from Lebanon, handed over to NAPTIP
- 1.64m jobs created by manufacturing sector over time — MAN
- FRSC decorates 32 newly-promoted officers, marshals in Kogi
- London summit: ACFTA to top discussion as Adesina visits UK
- Ooni honours 100 Nigerian youth leaders
- Stakeholders seek more female scientists to promote STEM
- I will bequeath free, fair elections-Buhari
- China’s ZTE, local telecom firm start 5G technology trial in Uganda
- Nigeria should lead Africa on AGOA, says U.S.-based trade promoter
- 23-yr-old emerges best graduating student of JABU
- Multiple sexual partners increases risk of cervical cancer- NGO
- Former world’s shortest man from Nepal dies at 28
- President, Lagos Dance says, “dance, a viable tool for youth empowerment”
- Cambodia releases measures to curb, reduce air pollution
- MFM FC targets third away victory against Wikki Tourists
- Police confirm death a man in hotel
- 9ice marks 40th birthday in style
- EFCC arrests 6 over alleged internet fraud in Ilorin
- NUJ declares one week mourning for assassinated journalist
- Police nab 4 in connection with fight between two rival groups in Niger
- Onu solicits private sector support for methanol production in Nigeria
- N-Power: Plateau Govt. cautions citizens against fraudsters, fake portals
- NSE: Trading defies December inflation figure, index up 0.90%
- Gov. Oyetola wants experts in private sector to support Nigeria’s economy
- Commander charges 378 promoted FRSC officers to live above board
- Toyin Abraham eulogies husband on his birthday
- Akeredolu reiterates importance of NDDC forensic audit
- Benue govt. says negotiations on N30,000 minimum wage still ongoing
- PDP pledges to defend Nigeria democracy, institutions
- ‘Sugar Rush’ movie returns to cinema
- Don calls for Sharia Courts in South West
- 2 to die by hanging for murder in Osun
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on dedication, hard work
- We sag our trousers to keep in vogue – Youths
- Uzodinma appoints SSG, AG, CPS, others
- FRSC decorates 36 newly promoted officers in Bayelsa
- Abia Polytechnic to punish extortionists, says governing Council chairman
- Buhari departs Abuja for London ahead of UK-Africa Investment Summit
- Expert says vertical farming system preserves arable lands
- Ex-FUTO VC calls for upgrade of facilities in nation’s universities
- Lagos mass transit train: NRC to resume services soon – official
- NAMA begins calibration of landing aids at Lagos Airport
- Finance Act will reposition economy — Expert
- Xi meets Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
- Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident preventable if… – FRSC Zonal Commander
- Insurgency: Nigeria takes delivery of fighter helicopters, gets more in February – AVM Abubakar
- Prices of local poultry produce will soon crash in spite of continued border closure – PAN
- Atiku proposes committee to review recent elections
- More funds, intervention will boost tourism sector, says NTDC boss
- Team Nigeria win 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal at African Track Championship