General news

Osinbajo optimistic about amicable resolution of Gbagyi-Army land standoff

Published

on

The Federal Government is committed to adopting all necessary measures that will lead to the amicable and just resolution of the land dispute between indigenous people of FCT and the Nigerian Army, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has said.

Osinbajo’s spokesman, Laolu Akande, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said that the vice president met with a delegation of Gbagyi leaders comprising political office holders, traditional and youth leaders, at the Presidential Villa.Osinbajo, had on his way to Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport  enroute Ekiti State for the launch of the Homegrown School Feeding Programme on May 7, ran into some protesters at Goza village.

The protesters blocked Osinbajo’s motorcade prompting him to alight to engage with the angry youths, a move that culminated in Monday’s meeting.

Osinbajo said he had briefed President Muhammadu Buhari on the matter and would find out from the Chief of Staff to the President, what the presidential committee constituted to look into the issues had so far done.

“What is very important now is that we do not allow a situation where things are not done according to the law and due process.

” It is also important that this issue is resolved amicably and justly.”

The vice president also directed authorities of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to submit to his office, a comprehensive report on the disputed land and what it had done to resolve the matter.

Earlier, Sen. Philip Aduda, the Senator representing the FCT at the National Assembly, dismissed the claim by the Army authorities that the land was allocated to it and appreciated the intervention of the Vice President.

Also, the Secretary, Area Councils Services Secretariat, Sen. Isa Maina said the FCT authorities in an effort to address the issue had already proposed to allocate a plot of land to the Nigerian Army in Kwali.

He said contrary to the directive by the presidential committee that all parties involved in the matter maintain status quo, the Nigerian Army had proceeded to construct structures on the disputed land.

On his part, the Emir of Jiwa, His Royal Highness Idris Musa, said the indigenous people of Abuja were not against the Nigerian Army in any way but wanted a just and amicable resolution of the matter.

More so, the representative of the youths, Mr Dalhatu Musa who had spoken last week for the protesters when the vice president interacted with them on his way to the airport noted that the youths wanted due process to be followed in the resolution of the land issue.

He commended the intervention of the vice president and appealed to him to also look into other issues affecting the indigenous people of the FCT.

Other attendees were the Secretary, Area Councils Services Secretariat, Sen. Isa Maina; Chairmen of AMAC, Abdullahi Candido; Bwari Area Council, Mr Shekwogaza Gabaya and Abaji Area Council, Abdulrahman Ajiya; the Ona of Abaji, Alhaji Yunusa Adamu and youth leaders from the affected communities.

The land in dispute cover over 7,000 hectares cutting across Gwagwa, Idu, Zuba and Giri communities in the Federal Capital Territory.

CJ/SH

General news

Ondo lawmakers hail Akeredolu’s infrastructural development drive

Published

on

Lawmakers in Ondo State, on Thursday, commended Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu for the on-going road construction across the state, saying it would  ease traffic flow and boost socio-economic activities.

Mr Adeyemi Olayemi, the Chairman, Ondo State House of Assembly Committee on Works and Infrastructure, gave the commendation during an oversight function to the ongoing roads projects in the South Senatorial District of the state.

Olayemi, while expressing happiness over the ongoing construction of the first flyover in the state, that is, the Ore flyover in Odigbo Local Government area, said it was long overdue.

He said that once the flyover was ready, it would bring the perennial traffic gridlock in the axis to an end.

The Ore-Benin expressway connects Ondo to other states, which makes Ore the commercial nerve centre of the southern part of the state, but unnecessary vehicular gridlocks have subjected motorists, pedestrians and other road users to untold hardship.

The ongoing road construction in other districts, such as the Ore flyover, will further boost commercial and tourism activities in Ore and the state at large.

I sincerely commend Gov. Akeredolu for this giant stride, in spite of the meagre allocation,’’ the lawmaker said.

Mrs Magaret Akinsuroju, the Caretaker Chairperson, Odigbo local council, said that she was so excited that Ore was wearing a new look during her tenure, adding that the flyover would bring succour to travellers and residents.

Akinsuroju urged motorists and other road users to be patient on the Ore-Benin expressway and put into consideration the ongoing construction work in the Ore axis.

She said that motorists and other road users would benefit a lot after the completion of the road projects.

I am so happy and thank our amiable governor for standing by his promise to construct the first-ever flyover in the state; the residents of this council appreciate this gesture and this will remain in our minds for a long time,’’ she said.

Meanwhile, Mr Daniels Mansur, the Project Manager, Craineburg Construction Company, the firm handling the Ore flyover, said that rain was the only challenge hindering the project.

Mansur said that the flyover would be completed and handed over to the state government by second week of January 2020.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the house committee members on works and infrastructure also inspected the ongoing township road construction in Araromi Obu seaside in Okitipupa council area.

The committee members also visited the ongoing township road construction in Kiribo, Ese-Odo LGA and the Owodunni road construction in Irele Local Government area.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that other committee members were Messrs Olugbenga Akogun, Samuel Aderoboye, Ademola Edamisan, Festus Adefiranye, Tomide Akinribido, Simeon Borokini and Taofik Mohammed.

Edited by: Oluyinka Fadare and
(NAN)
Related‘Wale Sadeeq

 

 

Continue Reading

General news

Katsina govt. committed to making LGCs more productive-‘Commissioner

Published

on

The Katsina  government says it is fully committed toward making the 34 existing local government areas in the state more  productive and vibrant through participatory approach.

Alhaji Yau Gwajo-Gwajo, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs gave the assurance while speaking with Nigeria News Agency in Daura on Thursday.

Gwajo-Gwajo said the local government staff would be fully exposed to training and retraining and fully utilized in achieving the targeted goals through capacity building.

He reaffirmed the determination of the government in promoting welfare of local government staff through timely payment of their entilements and other benefits for effective and efficient service delivery.

The commissioner urged council staff to be fully committed to their duties by being honest, transparent and accountable in both their official and private conducts, saying government would not condone sharp practices.

He said the ministry would continue to collaborate with all stakeholders to ensure that development projects were executed across all the local government councils without prejudice.

The Commissioner commended security agencies, traditional, religious and community leaders for maintaining relative peace and stability across the 34 local government councils.

Nigeria News Agency reports that Gwajo -Gwajo was the former Speaker of the Katsina House of Assembly prior to his subsequent appointment as commissioner by Gov. Aminu Masari.

Edited by: Razak Owolabi/Tukur Muntari.
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

General news

Border closure has not violated free trade treaty – says Aondoakaa

Published

on

Former Minister of Justice, Mr Mike Aondoakaa says Nigeria has not violated any treaty regarding free trade among the West African States by closing its borders.

Aondoakaa also President, West Africa Rice Development Association (WARDA) stated this while speaking with newsmen on Thursday in Makurdi.

“The country is only taking measures to sanitise a filthy development that is almost grounding the local economy with agricultural produce wasting on daily basis.

“Nigeria is the only country in West Africa that eats parboiled rice.

“So, our neighbours often take advantage of this and under the pretext of free trade among West African countries to use their countries as smuggling routes to bring in some products that one cannot even verify their source.

“Even when the products are to be examined following the branding to trace the root, the supposed producers will distance themselves from these same products brought into our country with their labels and insignia.

“The worse aspects of it is that, these supposed importers mischievously using Nigeria as dumping site for questionable products do not even pay custom duties

“If this is not worrisome to anyone, then, it is very unfortunate,” he said.

Aondoakaa urged the Federal Government to sustain the closure due to its numerous economic advantages to the country.

“I pray that President Muhammadu Buhari will insist that the borders remained closed until there is convincing commitment from the offending neighbours that they are ready to consistently and meticulously check products that pass through their territories into Nigeria,” he said.

He stated that the development would serve a bitter lesson to neighbouring countries that had over the years taken the country for a ride by consistently allowing their territories to be used as transit routes for smugglers to dump unverified products into the country.

He further revealed that government took the measure based on pressures from farmers who kept lamenting and appealing that they needed to get benefit for their produce.

“I threw my weight behind the border closure because it is the best way to go for Nigeria,” he said.

Edited by: Philip Dzeremo/Ali Baba-Inuwa
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

General news

Yuletide: Transporters make brisk business in Jos

Published

on

Commercial vehicles operators in Jos are making brisk business due to the increase in the volume of passengers traveling out of the state for the Christmas and New Year festivities.

Nigeria News Agency reports that virtually all the motor parks in Jos metropolis are filled to capacity as early as 6 a.m by passengers heading for various destinations in the country.

The Vice Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) of the motor park located opposite NTA, Jos, Mr Austin Robert, told NAN that the park began to witness an increase in passenger traffic in the first week of December.

Robert said the patronage was so high that by 9.30 a.m, there was no more available vehicle going to Abuja and other routes.

He, however, said that in spite of the influx of passengers, the park had not increased its transportation fares and assured that the charges would not be hiked during the yuletide.

As part of its efforts to make the operations hitch-free, the vice chairman said, the union was holding regular meeting with its drivers to sensitise them on the ills of taking substances that could enhance their driving performance.

According to him, the drivers were told that such practice could endanger their lives and those of the passengers.

He said that the union usually monitored the drivers and that anyone of them found to be intoxicated would not be allowed to drive that day.

Robert advised passengers to desist from the act of putting pressure on the drivers to speed in order to meet up with their various appointments.

Similarly, the Manager of Benue Links Park in Jos, Mr Verbe Tembe, said the park was experiencing increase in the number of passengers traveling for Christmas and New Year.

Tembe also said that the management of the park was meeting with the drivers twice in a week to sensitise them on the ills of drunk driving or driving under the influence of psychotropic substances.

He said the drivers were being monitored to ensure that they complied with the order against drunk driving.

He called on passengers to report any driver they found to be under the influence of any substances, so that the union would immediately recall him.

An Abuja-bound passenger, Malam Abdu Abubakar, commended the operators for not increasing their fares in spite of the high patronage.

I am impressed by this patriotic gesture of the Jos transporters who refused to take advantage of the high patronage to increase the fares. I commend them for maintaining the fares,” Abubakar said.

Similarly, Miss Yop Pam, a passenger going to Benue, commended the transport companies for not increasing the fares and appealed to them to maintain the charges “so that people can travel and see their loved ones”.

Edited by: Abdullahi Yusuf
(NAN)
Related

 

 

Continue Reading

General news

NGO urges media to encourage women in politics, promote inclusiveness in governance

Published

on

An NGO, Legal Awareness For Nigerian Women, has urged the media to pay special attention on women issues to ensure inclusiveness and encourage women participation in politics and governance.

Mrs Rebbeca Sako, the Executive Director of the organisation, made the appeal in Kaduna at a workshop on promoting media synergy with women in politics.

Sako noted that though there were several laws that accord women equal opportunities to participate in politics, the media needed to educate the women to exercise such rights.

She said women constitute about 50 per cent in the society, “but when its come to their visibility in public spaces you will no see much women.”

The executive director also noted that political parties have not made efforts in enhancing the capacities of women to excel in politics.

There is need for more participation of women in politics to get their voices and inputs in the decision making process so as to achieve more impact and contribute in building the society to stimulate socio economic development.

During elections there are more women than men voters; we want to see more women as candidates and contestants since they have more than 50 per cent of the population,” she said.

Sako therefore urged women to use there numbers to take over the political space so as to make a difference in the governance of the country.

She noted with concern that less than 10 states have 35 per cent represention of women in elective and political positions in the country.

In her remarks, Mrs Hannatu Ahuwan of the organization’s office in Kaduna, said the objective of the workshop was to bring media practitioners in an inter party women network to create synergy on promoting women participation in politics.

Ahuwan said the organization is working in collaboration with National Democratic Institute on its

Women In Politics (WIP) project, being supported by the DFID since 2016.

She said it is aimed at encouraging women and other maginalized groups to be part of the political space and government in order to build sustainable democracy.

Ahuwan added that the project also seeks to increase the visibility of female legislators and strengthen the inter party network to be strong in political participation.

Mr Paul Onwude, who spoke on the role of media in promoting women participation in politics, called for the projection of women politicians and issues affecting women into the front burner of national discourse.

He streesed the need for the media to make issues of women more visible to the public, so as to elicit appropriate action by those in authority.

Edited by: Maharazu Ahmed
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

Latest News

editor@nnn.com.ng